Jam Boa

Father has visitation rights (split & merged)

10 posts in this topic

Hi Charles_n_GraceI'm just curious how your travel consent worked out? So was it correct that you did not need to get a travel consent from the biological since she has a solo parent ID? We also have a k2 and we are not sure if we need a travel consent from the biological father. My fiancee was granted custody of the child and the father has visitation rights. Any advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Hank_ our k2 is 8 yrs old. My fiancee's previous marriage was annulled and the court granted her PERMANENT custody (not Sole custody) and the father has visitation rights. We already have the child's passport and my fiancee has a Solo parent ID from DSWD (we don't know how that ID is gonna help us, but she got one just in case). My question is do we need a letter of consent from her ex? Her ex is giving her a hard time and will not consent to having the child leave the country. Here's what we have read so far.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/1254/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xNTUxMzcxMzg5L3NpZC9CNGx3ZHg4bw%3D%3D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jam Boa said:

Hank_ our k2 is 8 yrs old. My fiancee's previous marriage was annulled and the court granted her PERMANENT custody (not Sole custody) and the father has visitation rights. We already have the child's passport and my fiancee has a Solo parent ID from DSWD (we don't know how that ID is gonna help us, but she got one just in case). My question is do we need a letter of consent from her ex? Her ex is giving her a hard time and will not consent to having the child leave the country. Here's what we have read so far.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/1254/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xNTUxMzcxMzg5L3NpZC9CNGx3ZHg4bw%3D%3D

Referencing the CBP website for a non USA situation (leaving the Philippines) isn't going to help.  

YMMV

payxibka oh. sorry, we found this from other threads. we thought this is for people entering the U.S.  So we assumed, that since my fiancee (solo parent) will be entering the U.S with her son, then CBP would require them to present a consent form from the father. Correct me if i'm wrong and i really appreciate your help .

Timeline

5 minutes ago, Jam Boa said:

payxibka oh. sorry, we found this from other threads. we thought this is for people entering the U.S.  So we assumed, that since my fiancee (solo parent) will be entering the U.S with her son, then CBP would require them to present a consent form from the father. Correct me if i'm wrong and i really appreciate your help .

The Embassy will NOT issue a K2 visa if there is an impediment to the child emigrating.  The Embassy does NOT require such a letter because it is NOT an impediment in the Philippines like it is for other countries.  If by some off chance that the CBP would ask, then all she would need is to produce the court granted PERMANENT custody document.

A read of the link:

Adults traveling with children should also be aware that, while the U.S. does not require this documentation, other countries may have a requirement and failure to produce notarized permission letters and/or birth certificates could result in travelers being refused entry (Canada has very strict requirements in this regard).

YMMV

payxibka That's what we have always thought. The Philippine court has granted her permanent custody, so we never thought that we would need such letter. It only made us think twice when she stumbled upon some threads about consent letters from the other parent. 

If you don't mind me asking, did you experience this yourself? or do you know anyone who had the same situation (annulled marriage and permanent custody granted to fiancee) and was able to get through the port of entry without having to show a letter of consent from the other parent?

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jam Boa said:

payxibka That's what we have always thought. The Philippine court has granted her permanent custody, so we never thought that we would need such letter. It only made us think twice when she stumbled upon some threads about consent letters from the other parent. 

If you don't mind me asking, did you experience this yourself? or do you know anyone who had the same situation (annulled marriage and permanent custody granted to fiancee) and was able to get through the port of entry without having to show a letter of consent from the other parent?

Port of entry is not going to be a problem.   In a previous life when we entered the USA with a child it wasn't even asked.   However,  we did have to provide it to the embassy and departure control upon leaving but different country than Philippines.  That's why I say this is sorted out by the embassy prior to even issuing a Visa and the CBP understands that 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Question split off from 2 yr old thread and moved to the PI regional forum. Parental consent is country specific.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Jam Boa said:

Seems like you got this sorted out ...    My thinking is your shouldn't have any issues.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• Ontarkie changed the title to Father has visitation rights (split & merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Make that two hijack posts split and merged along with replies, while a 3rd hijack post removed. Do Not post your questions in multiple threads it is considered spamming. Please start your own thread next time for questions regarding your own case. Posting them in other members threads cause confusion to the thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.