Ann R

AOS - Passport and new address

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello, 

I have questions here, been reading the forum to look for answers but I guess it's safer to create a new topic and ask for everyone's opinion. I got married last Oct under K1, and still in the process to complete all my AOS forms but I have 2 issues here

1) I just moved to a new house a month ago, my husband said that we need to inform USCIS regarding the new address because our mailing address now gonna be different than the one we used while applying for K1. Is it necessary? 

2) My passport is expiring soon, on this coming May. I was thinking if I should proceed with the application and renew my passport later OR renew first, and submit application afterwards? 

Thank you everyone ❤️

2 minutes ago, Ann R said:

Hello, 

I have questions here, been reading the forum to look for answers but I guess it's safer to create a new topic and ask for everyone's opinion. I got married last Oct under K1, and still in the process to complete all my AOS forms but I have 2 issues here

1) I just moved to a new house a month ago, my husband said that we need to inform USCIS regarding the new address because our mailing address now gonna be different than the one we used while applying for K1. Is it necessary? 

Yes, by law as an immigrant, you need to update your address with USCIS within 10 days whether you have an active/pending petiition or not.

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

2) My passport is expiring soon, on this coming May. I was thinking if I should proceed with the application and renew my passport later OR renew first, and submit application afterwards? 

Submit AOS and then renew your passport. Your passport can be expired even. It does not need to be unexpired to apply for AOS or to receive your GC. You can renew it during the wait for your GC.

Thank you everyone ❤️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Thank you!! And do you have any idea regarding the birth certificate translation? My BC is in English but for some reason my gender and my dad's occupation was writte in Malay. Should I find a translator or just do it by myself? I read that some people hire professionals but I'm trying to save my money to do it by myself if it can be accepted by USCIS. 

6 minutes ago, Ann R said:

Thank you!! And do you have any idea regarding the birth certificate translation? My BC is in English but for some reason my gender and my dad's occupation was writte in Malay. Should I find a translator or just do it by myself? I read that some people hire professionals but I'm trying to save my money to do it by myself if it can be accepted by USCIS. 

Pretty sure you cant do it yourself because you are biased.

This may help you:

https://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/154965.htm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Ann R said:

Hello, 

Thank you everyone ❤️

1) You should inform them just so you never get in any trouble for not filing change of address, but don't expect anything to happen with it. Just fill out the form online so you get a confirmation that you put in the change of address and you are being a good immigrant lol.

We reported change of address when my now husband bought a house 6 weeks before I moved (had the visa already but was still in my native country) and when I called after not hearing from them after 45 days they told me if you don't have a pending case the requests don't go through.

Once you submit AOS with the new address they'll register it in the systems.

2) You can just proceed with the application, submit a copy of your current passport and take your new passport to the green card interview. If they already need your passport number at that point (prob not, it's more to establish your identity) they'll update it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.