US/EU_in_Czech

US/EU citizen in Czech Rep looking for IR1

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
6 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

It could possibly, but I'll let someone who has more experience/knowledge with that give you a better answer.

Any photos that you have of the two of you will work, unfortunately though you both have to be in the shot, since pictures of places without you both in them are not proof of being there together. I'd just include any photos you have together that prove spending time with each other

I can find a decent amount of those, that's fine.

My struggle now is going to be back-filing with the Streamlined Foreign Offshore Exclusion. Wish me luck!

If you have been living together as man and wife  for three years then just focus on that for evidence. No need to worry about looking for photos or boarding passes - they are good evidence examples for couples who have never lived together prior to filing. But living together is the “gold medal” of bona fide marriage evidence for USCIS. Leases, utility bills in both names, drivers licenses with the same address, mail sent to both names at the same address, etc. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

If you have been living together as man and wife  for three years then just focus on that for evidence. No need to worry about looking for photos or boarding passes - they are good evidence examples for couples who have never lived together prior to filing. But living together is the “gold medal” of bona fide marriage evidence for USCIS. Leases, utility bills in both names, drivers licenses with the same address, mail sent to both names at the same address, etc. 

That is excellent news. I'm handling all bills, but we're on leases together, we have an envelope addressed to both of us, and we have legal documents that show our address (IDs, visas, etc). Thanks!

15 minutes ago, US/EU_in_Czech said:

That is excellent news. I'm handling all bills, but we're on leases together, we have an envelope addressed to both of us, and we have legal documents that show our address (IDs, visas, etc). Thanks!

Sounds like the evidence is very good. 

Now you you need to focus on the domicile requirements. Keep records of job applications, enquiries to rental agencies for apartments, etc that demonstrate you are making a permanent move home. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, JFH said:

Sounds like the evidence is very good. 

Now you you need to focus on the domicile requirements. Keep records of job applications, enquiries to rental agencies for apartments, etc that demonstrate you are making a permanent move home. 

I would be looking to move only after receiving a job offer, but these days I've been applying to every appropriate role I can find. I've certainly got job applications in spades.

With regard to living situation, I have already worked out temporary housing with family while we search for our own place. Would it be sufficient to submit a letter from my family member in which they speak about having us stay with them?

This family member has also agreed to sign on as a Joint Sponsor for my wife, should it be needed.

Edited by US/EU_in_Czech

21 minutes ago, US/EU_in_Czech said:

I would be looking to move only after receiving a job offer, but these days I've been applying to every appropriate role I can find. I've certainly got job applications in spades.

With regard to living situation, I have already worked out temporary housing with family while we search for our own place. Would it be sufficient to submit a letter from my family member in which they speak about having us stay with them?

This family member has also agreed to sign on as a Joint Sponsor for my wife, should it be needed.

Have them draw up a lease - describing the living arrangements (how many bedrooms, bathrooms will be yours to use, what the expectations are of the shared spaces such as kitchen and so on) with the price per week or month. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JFH said:

Have them draw up a lease - describing the living arrangements (how many bedrooms, bathrooms will be yours to use, what the expectations are of the shared spaces such as kitchen and so on) with the price per week or month. 

Alright, that's a good idea. Even if we're just staying there for free while we find our own place, it's not dishonest to do something like this?

2 minutes ago, US/EU_in_Czech said:

Alright, that's a good idea. Even if we're just staying there for free while we find our own place, it's not dishonest to do something like this?

Ok so I wouldn’t lie. If there's no formal agreement to pay, don’t make up something. In that case I would have them provide a notarized statement that they will be providing accommodations for you and your wife for x months at x address.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

Ok so I wouldn’t lie. If there's no formal agreement to pay, don’t make up something. In that case I would have them provide a notarized statement that they will be providing accommodations for you and your wife for x months at x address.

That seems much more appropriate. It's less a "you rent our place for X duration" and more "crash here until you sort out your situation" :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was in the same boat with my spouse moving back from Canada.  Ultimately it depends on the consulate in the respective country how strict they are on domicile.  Montreal is notoriously strict, so I actually had to move back ahead of time and have my apartment/job in the US first.  I don't think other consulates are as strict, but maybe you can get some advice in the regional section.  Certainly a job offer letter timed at the NVC stage will help satisfy both intent to re-establish domicile as well as evidence for the Affidavit of Support to show you earn enough.  

Do research the timelines a bit more.  You'll find that if you take the traditional path of filing an I-130, it may take 6 months before it even gets to the NVC stage.  Jobs aren't going to wait that long for you to start, so you'll need to strategize the timing of filing for immigration and job applications.  In fact, once the I-130 is approved, you have some ability to stall things for a year, so you might want to jump on that ASAP.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline
11 minutes ago, AstroCanada said:

I was in the same boat with my spouse moving back from Canada.  Ultimately it depends on the consulate in the respective country how strict they are on domicile.  Montreal is notoriously strict, so I actually had to move back ahead of time and have my apartment/job in the US first.  I don't think other consulates are as strict, but maybe you can get some advice in the regional section.  Certainly a job offer letter timed at the NVC stage will help satisfy both intent to re-establish domicile as well as evidence for the Affidavit of Support to show you earn enough.  

Do research the timelines a bit more.  You'll find that if you take the traditional path of filing an I-130, it may take 6 months before it even gets to the NVC stage.  Jobs aren't going to wait that long for you to start, so you'll need to strategize the timing of filing for immigration and job applications.  In fact, once the I-130 is approved, you have some ability to stall things for a year, so you might want to jump on that ASAP.

OK, thanks. If I have to fly back and find an apartment first, it's not the end of the world. I was hoping that I could receive the job offer, then petition my local consulate to ask the regional USCIS office to allow DCF for us. One of the formal reasons listed is a job that begins soon, which would be our situation. You don't think that's a good idea?

Timeline

OK, thanks. If I have to fly back and find an apartment first, it's not the end of the world. I was hoping that I could receive the job offer, then petition my local consulate to ask the regional USCIS office to allow DCF for us. One of the formal reasons listed is a job that begins soon, which would be our situation. You don't think that's a good idea?

I don't know how DCF works in Europe.  It's clear in Germany/UK, but for the Czech Republic, I don't know.  Best to clarify if DCF is a viable path first.  Try the regional forums on here.

I-130

NVC

Removing Conditions

N-400

Timeline
23 minutes ago, AstroCanada said:

I don't know how DCF works in Europe.  It's clear in Germany/UK, but for the Czech Republic, I don't know.  Best to clarify if DCF is a viable path first.  Try the regional forums on here.

OK, I will. Would that be the "US Embassy and Consulate Discussion" section?

Timeline

OK, I will. Would that be the "US Embassy and Consulate Discussion" section?

Try posting in this forum:
https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/95-europe-amp-eurasia-except-the-uk-and-russia/

I-130

NVC

Removing Conditions

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.