sweethrtt

Stressed... opinions/advice requested...

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello my fellow vj'ers,

I'm sorry to bother you because I have previously posted about this situation and also my apologies for the length of the post.

I got my NOA 2 a couple of weeks ago.. and now that we are hitting the second part of the process I am starting to get extremely freaked out about my I-275 that happened 8 years ago (My car was searched and they found a small leaf that tested positive for marijuana (yes very stupid I know, I did not realize it was in my car...seriously huge lapse in judgement...the biggest mistake I have ever made). The border officers had me sign form I-275 Withdrawal of Application for Admission. My question is will this incident from 7+ years ago cause my K1 to be denied? I had done my due diligence in the beginning of 2018 and went to the same Port of Entry (Peace Bridge) to confirm if I am still inadmissable to the United States and the border officer I was speaking with asked me a couple of questions and then told me that it has been a long time since I have tried to re-enter and that I was now Admissable. Since then I have gone to New York every other weekend with no issues at all.)

I know that I was young and stupid and I'm so worried that an idiotic mistake like that will ruin my future with the love of my life. I've had a hard time with relationships over the years and I finally feel like I am in a partnership with somebody who truly makes me happy and now all I can think about is it potentially blowing up in my face and being left heartbroken.

The amount of anxiety and stress I'm feeling is making me depressed. It hard certain days not to cry... and I'm so worried I'll burst into tears at the interview.

I have grown so much as a person over the last 8 years and I am so scared that the old me is going to screw everything up. If you could offer any advice.. literally anything I feel like it may make me feel a bit better.

PS. I did do an FOIA about 10 months ago and requested the actual documentation to the Withdrawal of Application for Admission.. do you think it would be a good idea to bring it with me to the interview? I guess my reasoning is that if they decide to get that information instead of having to wait months for them to get it I can bring it with me to speed up the process. Let me know if you think that's a good idea!

If anybody out there, similar situation or not, could offer any good words/advice/opinions etc. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you advance and also Happy Valentines Day!!

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 hours ago, sweethrtt said:

Hello my fellow vj'ers,

I'm sorry to bother you because I have previously posted about this situation and also my apologies for the length of the post.

I got my NOA 2 a couple of weeks ago.. and now that we are hitting the second part of the process I am starting to get extremely freaked out about my I-275 that happened 8 years ago (My car was searched and they found a small leaf that tested positive for marijuana (yes very stupid I know, I did not realize it was in my car...seriously huge lapse in judgement...the biggest mistake I have ever made). The border officers had me sign form I-275 Withdrawal of Application for Admission. My question is will this incident from 7+ years ago cause my K1 to be denied? I had done my due diligence in the beginning of 2018 and went to the same Port of Entry (Peace Bridge) to confirm if I am still inadmissable to the United States and the border officer I was speaking with asked me a couple of questions and then told me that it has been a long time since I have tried to re-enter and that I was now Admissable. Since then I have gone to New York every other weekend with no issues at all.)

I know that I was young and stupid and I'm so worried that an idiotic mistake like that will ruin my future with the love of my life. I've had a hard time with relationships over the years and I finally feel like I am in a partnership with somebody who truly makes me happy and now all I can think about is it potentially blowing up in my face and being left heartbroken.

The amount of anxiety and stress I'm feeling is making me depressed. It hard certain days not to cry... and I'm so worried I'll burst into tears at the interview.

I have grown so much as a person over the last 8 years and I am so scared that the old me is going to screw everything up. If you could offer any advice.. literally anything I feel like it may make me feel a bit better.

PS. I did do an FOIA about 10 months ago and requested the actual documentation to the Withdrawal of Application for Admission.. do you think it would be a good idea to bring it with me to the interview? I guess my reasoning is that if they decide to get that information instead of having to wait months for them to get it I can bring it with me to speed up the process. Let me know if you think that's a good idea!

If anybody out there, similar situation or not, could offer any good words/advice/opinions etc. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you advance and also Happy Valentines Day!!

I can't give you any advice as I'm somewhat in the same situation as my fiance (from the UK) has two adult cautions and because one of them is considered CIMT, we could get denied. I've cried so many times it's unreal. I get some people that tell me they don't think it'll be big deal and other say don't expect to by approved but really comes down to the CO interviewing.  

I have seen many who have done foolish things, and most like you have done it in early years where hind sight becomes your best friend. In the Philippines and at the medical their is a series of questions and few of them deal with narcotics including weed. Now those who have been truthful have been recommend to a psychologist whereupon they have a "heart to heart" about the circumstance and your current state of your usage. Most, like you, have remorse from years ago and have not used narcotics since then. So overall they were sent to their interview and the psychologist report was included in the medical report whereupon the Doctor recommend approval (my words not theirs) and the CO conducted the interview and based on a solid interview passed the individual and I don't remember but I think the drug topic was never discussed at the interview. Now your mileage may vary but this is one embassy's experience with how they treat narcotics.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pooley said:

I can't give you any advice as I'm somewhat in the same situation as my fiance (from the UK) has two adult cautions and because one of them is considered CIMT, we could get denied. I've cried so many times it's unreal. I get some people that tell me they don't think it'll be big deal and other say don't expect to by approved but really comes down to the CO interviewing.  

I feel your pain and sadness and frustration. It's scary too think that something like this could be the tell all, end all. I wouldn't wish this upon anybody. I'll pray for you as I hope you'll do for me and maybe one day we'll both laugh at how much worrying we did for nothing. I hope that we both get a great CO who isn't judgmental. Best of luck to you and yours and if you ever want to talk or need any advice etc. I am a message away. BIG HUGS!

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

I feel your pain and sadness and frustration. It's scary too think that something like this could be the tell all, end all. I wouldn't wish this upon anybody. I'll pray for you as I hope you'll do for me and maybe one day we'll both laugh at how much worrying we did for nothing. I hope that we both get a great CO who isn't judgmental. Best of luck to you and yours and if you ever want to talk or need any advice etc. I am a message away. BIG HUGS!

Yes, it's terrifying to have one person in an interview hold your future in their hands! I work in law and realize how everyone has their own story of what really happened and when just reading off a charge, people judge you. It's sad. I hope they will take the time to listen before they make a decision but I will definitely pray for you as well. I hope we both have nothing to worry about!! 😁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

All you can do is disclose the I-275 on any form submitted as part of your K-1 application, medical, and disclose it at the interview if asked, and be 100% truthful and don't try to hide it.  Because it was many years ago you should be okay, but don't try to hide it, as they have the I-275 on your record so it will appear on a background check.  There are examples here on VJ of filers who tried to hide an old drug possession incident and later it was cause for K-1 denial.  It's better to be truthful and let the IO decide.  They like truthful people more than the opposite, so disclose everything and hope for the best.  Try not to worry about it but be honest and be prepared with documentation, and a truthful explanation of what happened.  The IO will make the decision based on the facts and your interview.  Good luck!  You should be together soon!  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.