Steven & Rebekah

Different name to my Birth Certificate

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all, I am looking at what's needed for the K-1 interview at the American Embassy in London. Now my original name on my birth certificate isn't what I currently use on my passport/Drivers license/the name we used to fill out the application. I contacted my local registrar's office (Where my mother thinks the name change was done) and they have no record of the name change as it was done by a justice of the peace, and unfortunately I don't have the original birth certificate, I only have the copy that I sent away for.

"Evidence includes, but is not limited to baptismal certificate/record, a deed poll and/or school records showing early use of name;"

This is on the website telling me what evidence to bring, but the only thing I have is my high school GCSE records, in my new name as I wasn't baptised. Will that be enough? Should I contact the registrar's office and have my name legally changed now? 

I appreciate any help you can give! 

Steven

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would assume that if your name was changed legally at some point there should be a record of it.  To be safe, I would call or visit the registrar where this name change occurred and see if you can get a record.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

I would assume that if your name was changed legally at some point there should be a record of it.  To be safe, I would call or visit the registrar where this name change occurred and see if you can get a record.

Good Luck!

Hey there, my name change was done by a JP so it's on my original birth certificate, however I don't have my original any longer and I called the office, they said that the name change isn't on the digital copy of my birth certificate, and suggested I could legally change my name, however I'm concerned that if I change it now, it may look suspicious. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Steven & Rebekah said:

Hey there, my name change was done by a JP so it's on my original birth certificate, however I don't have my original any longer and I called the office, they said that the name change isn't on the digital copy of my birth certificate, and suggested I could legally change my name, however I'm concerned that if I change it now, it may look suspicious. 

I guess I would look to legally change it and get the documentation that shows that since all your other forms of identification show the name you are using.  It may or may not look suspicious to a CO, but in my opinion, it is easily explained since you or your parents misplaced the documentation showing the legal name change and you are simply clearing up a documentation discrepancy.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey!

I have a similar situation and I'm currently trying to find a paper which would justify it. My mother changed my surname when I was 8 after marrying my step-dad and got me a new birth certificate (I don't own an old one either and no one else has it as well). I don't have any documents where my old surname would be shown apart from my vaccination passport from childhood. But I already had American touristic visa before and I did state the name change in DS-160, that's why I will do it again. 

I went to that registration office where the change was done, but they said they can't give me a paper which would state this change since it was a guardian matter and the change was done based on a court case. The documents of a name change which they ask at the embassy can only work for individuals older than 14 who requested this change on their own. They did give me that case number though and sent me to a different place where an archive is. I requested them to give me a copy of that thing, but it's been a week and they still haven't contacted me back. So I'm waiting. 

I really don't know what to do in case if they won't find it. On my new birth certificate, I still have my biological dad marked as my father, and they'll be able to see that I basically changed a surname from my dad's to my mom's. But I don't know if it will be enough.

So annoying! Especially because it was a time where I was a child and I couldn't even have known :) 

Edited by Olga&Jared

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Steven & Rebekah said:

This is on the website telling me what evidence to bring, but the only thing I have is my high school GCSE records, in my new name as I wasn't baptised. Will that be enough?

Probably. London is pretty flexible.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Probably. London is pretty flexible.

I really hope so. I'm trying to get a hold of the citizens advice to see if they advise me on a name change, like the registry office said would be possible. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Just now, Steven & Rebekah said:

I really hope so. I'm trying to get a hold of the citizens advice to see if they advise me on a name change, like the registry office said would be possible. 

London interviewers don't assume you are an evil scammer trying to do something fraudulent. They want you to succeed and work with you.  Get your mom to write an affidavit saying when/why she she changed your name and that she can't remember where. I don't really have an opinion about changing your birth certificate at this point. Like you said, it seems dodgy, but maybe the change isn't dated. You will submit your birth certificate in future immigration submissions. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.