dvaquerano

Submitting I-130 prior to maiden name change.

12 posts in this topic

Hello VJ Community!

I have a question for all,

I am a US citizen(naturalized) and I married my wife in the US last December in VA while she was on a tourist visa, we both had family in VA and some delicate family health issues made us celebrate our civil wedding over there. She has now gone back to El Salvador and she is in the process of registering the marriage in the appropriate consulate and local authorities (thats a whole another story! Apostille and everything). 

When we requested the marriage license in VA they told us we could only use maiden names, and that if she wanted to use my last name, she would have to do the name change in El Salvador, not here. So our marriage certificate only shows her maiden name. 

Anyhow, my question is that,  we want to file I-130 but I am not sure if I need to wait until she changes her surname in El Salvador and gets a new passport, IDs and everything changed to her new name before I can file the application. I don't want to delay the process anymore since we want to be together and we know it will take some time to go through the whole process. 

Should I wait until all name change process goes through and she gets all documents revised with her new name?(Which could take some time). Or is there anything else I can do in order to submit our application before that and that will not cause us any troubles in the process? What name should I use when filling the application? 

Thank You!

David & Rebeca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't think you need to wait for her to get all new documents before applying. I should think just her name being legally changed in her should be enough since you don't have to send in her ID with your petition. Just make sure she gets her passport with her new name on it and whatnot before the interview (which shouldn't be a problem since the interview won't be for a while).

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

17 hours ago, LilyJohansen said:

I don't think you need to wait for her to get all new documents before applying. I should think just her name being legally changed in her should be enough since you don't have to send in her ID with your petition. Just make sure she gets her passport with her new name on it and whatnot before the interview (which shouldn't be a problem since the interview won't be for a while).

I see, so should I use her maiden name to send the application and then update the name during NVC part? Or should I submit the application with her new married name?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, dvaquerano said:

I see, so should I use her maiden name to send the application and then update the name during NVC part? Or should I submit the application with her new married name?

As long as her name is legally changed to the married name, then you can use her married name even if you don't have her updated documents yet. I would wait to file until her name is legally changed and use the married name since that will be easier than updating it later on, but as soon as it is legally changed and recognized as her new name in her country then you can use it still.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

File with the name she intends to use going forward.  Unless El Salvador requires her to register her marriage there, in order to change her name, none of that is every needed.  No apostille is required on any document used for the US immigration process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

5 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

File with the name she intends to use going forward.  Unless El Salvador requires her to register her marriage there, in order to change her name, none of that is every needed.  No apostille is required on any document used for the US immigration process.

Yes she actually does need to register the marriage in El Salvador in order to get her named changed over there 😕 the apostille was needed for the US marriage certificate and make it valid in El Salvador but that has been taken care of.

But my hope was that if I could file the application with her new name before she actually updates all her paperwork over there, that would allow me to file several weeks ahead of time. And by the time we need the updated paperwork we would have everything set. But we don’t want to cause any issues on our application if that is not permitted. 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, dvaquerano said:

Yes she actually does need to register the marriage in El Salvador in order to get her named changed over there 😕 the apostille was needed for the US marriage certificate and make it valid in El Salvador but that has been taken care of.

But my hope was that if I could file the application with her new name before she actually updates all her paperwork over there, that would allow me to file several weeks ahead of time. And by the time we need the updated paperwork we would have everything set. But we don’t want to cause any issues on our application if that is not permitted. 

It IS permitted.  Go for it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 2/11/2019 at 7:11 PM, pushbrk said:

It IS permitted.  Go for it.

Thank You for your help pushbrk. 

Just to triple check, it shouldn't be a problem that the marriage certificate only shows her maiden name, and, that I for I-130 and I-130a purposes, use her future married name that she intents to use before she actually gets her updated passport and IDs? Is it likely that USCIS will RFE because the marriage certificate does not match her name in the application? (I also plan on writing her name on the other names section).

Once again thank you for your help. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, dvaquerano said:

Just to triple check, it shouldn't be a problem that the marriage certificate only shows her maiden name, and, that I for I-130 and I-130a purposes, use her future married name that she intents to use before she actually gets her updated passport and IDs? Is it likely that USCIS will RFE because the marriage certificate does not match her name in the application? (I also plan on writing her name on the other names section).

Go for it.  Typically, marriage certificates show only the woman's maiden name, BECAUSE, it shows who married who.  Mary Jones marries Bob Smith.  Mary Smith does not.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, dvaquerano said:

Maiden name on marriage certificate is normal. My marriage certificate also has my maiden name on it, since usually people don't change their last name legally until after the wedding, which is the same case for you as well.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Timeline
12 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

Maiden name on marriage certificate is normal. My marriage certificate also has my maiden name on it, since usually people don't change their last name legally until after the wedding, which is the same case for you as well.

Exactly.  Many people do not change their name after marriage.  While most make the decision about it before marriage, marriage does not automatically change anybody's name.  Chinese women typically do not change their name with marriage.  Sometimes men take the wife's family name or there's hyphenation for either or both side.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.