JohnE

Oath ceremony next Friday and passport applying available after oath

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good morning,

My wife's oath ceremony is next Friday (2/15/19) at the Atlanta service center.  The letter that USCIS sent states after the oath ceremony you can apply for a new social security card (without the restrictions statement) and a passport.  We had planned  to go to the social security office and post office (to send US passport forms) after we  finished...but will take full advantage of this one stop service.  

My question is for those of you that have already traveled that road applying for the passport.  Did you bring two passport pictures with you or do they take your picture at the center?   Did they take your naturalization certificate and send it with the passport application?  If you go to the post office to apply for the passport they take your naturalization certificate and send it in with your passport application to the state department.  The state department send the naturalization certificate back to you.  The thing is we have gone through a lot to get to this point in our visa journey and once we get the naturalization certificate we really do not want to let go of this piece of gold.  My hope is they review the certificate and give it back to you but do not think that is going to happen.  I would love to hear from anyone that has already done the oath ceremony and applied for their passport at the USCIS office.  

Thanks in advance for your reply and may God bless you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi there I have been through the Atlanta USCIS office, at the time of my oath on Jan 11 2019 the passport folks weren’t at the center. Apparently it’####### or miss, therefore I went to the post office nearby, yes you have to send the original naturalization certificate they will send it back to you within couple weeks, there’s no other way around it. 

I would wait to change your status with the social security office, because information on their end doesn’t get updated for 2 weeks. Good luck to your wife and congrats! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

First off...congratulations!  Yes, you have to send the Naturalization certificate when you apply for the passport.  Even in NJ it was hit and miss if someone was there...however, they did have someone from the league of women voters there, so my husband did that.  We left there...and sent in his passport at the post office...and got it back in 9 days!  The Naturalization certificate comes back in a separate envelope.  Good luck.  

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good evening,

My wife had her oath ceremony this past Friday at the USCIS Atlanta office which is really located in Tucker, Ga.  When we checked in I asked one of the employees about social security and passport officials being  at the ceremony.  They told me that stopped some time ago.  I showed the the oath letter where it says they will be at the office.  They told me that statement should have been removed a long time ago.  

No worries.  Yes you need to wait at least 10 days before going to the social security office to change your status.  We headed over to the driver's license office after the ceremony and changed the status of her driver's license.  The post office on Gresham Road in Marietta, Ga accepts walk in passport drop off applications Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 3:00.  Post office is closed on Monday for President's Day but we will be there on Tuesday to drop off passport application.  Yes we will gladly pay for the expedited processing and express shipping.  

On a side note there were people at the USCIS office to sign you up to vote but we handled that when she updated her driver's license status.  

Thanks to all

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:27 AM, JohnE said:

Good morning,

My wife's oath ceremony is next Friday (2/15/19) at the Atlanta service center.  The letter that USCIS sent states after the oath ceremony you can apply for a new social security card (without the restrictions statement) and a passport.  We had planned  to go to the social security office and post office (to send US passport forms) after we  finished...but will take full advantage of this one stop service.  

My question is for those of you that have already traveled that road applying for the passport.  Did you bring two passport pictures with you or do they take your picture at the center?   Did they take your naturalization certificate and send it with the passport application?  If you go to the post office to apply for the passport they take your naturalization certificate and send it in with your passport application to the state department.  The state department send the naturalization certificate back to you.  The thing is we have gone through a lot to get to this point in our visa journey and once we get the naturalization certificate we really do not want to let go of this piece of gold.  My hope is they review the certificate and give it back to you but do not think that is going to happen.  I would love to hear from anyone that has already done the oath ceremony and applied for their passport at the USCIS office.  

Thanks in advance for your reply and may God bless you

When my wife did it, she went to Detroit Passport Agency the day after her oath as she had an afternoon oath and the agency closes at 3.  We were told that if you do go directly to the office within 30 days from your oath they will not keep the naturalization certificate which was the case for my wife.  They made a copy of the certificate and had a supervisor approve it and my wife kept the original.  Also, we had the photos with us at the time, I am not sure if they will take photos, but they may.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.