Girona40

Worried about attorney's level of response

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Girona --

I'm so sorry, that's terrible. And after everything you've already been through!

At this point it really seems as though your lawyer hasn't done what he's supposed to do. If it were me, I would tell him that he has until Monday to get the document to you, or he has to refund your money. No postal service, no "it's in the mail" -- he either FedEx's it or faxes it or emails it. It is not too much to ask for him to make a copy of something he's already written, put it in a FedEx envelope, send it on the priority overnight service, and give you the tracking number. Unfortunately everything you've said points to his having taken your money and not done the actual work.

I've never dealt with this but I would work on getting my money back from him and then going to someone else. If he's done the work he says he's done, he should have no problem getting it to you by Monday. Or even by tomorrow, since Saturday delivery service is available in most areas. If he can't produce the work, the only assumption you can make is that he hasn't done it. In which case, you are quite entitled to your money back. (I know getting it will be another matter.)

I assume you are keeping the District Director in the loop so he or she knows why there is a delay. I am truly, truly sorry for your situation.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry this is happening to you, this is so horrible :(

Maybe you can try calling that laywer from a different phone number then he might answer if he won't suspect it's you or your husband calling. I wish there would be a place that lists all the good lawyers that do their jobs well and all the bad ones that don't so sh!t, so that nobody gets any lawyer troubles like that anymore.

People shouldn't be suffering like that in this immigration process, it's like hell! :angry: Right now it's important to concentrate on your son's immigration case, but as soon as you are done with that you should sue that terrible lawyer's butt!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh no... it sounds like you've been given the run around yet again :( I think you could demand the document until you're blue in the face but it will never be forthcoming because it doesn't exist! The jerk took your money and put it in the too-hard-basket :( Sue the SOB.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Oh no... it sounds like you've been given the run around yet again :( I think you could demand the document until you're blue in the face but it will never be forthcoming because it doesn't exist! The jerk took your money and put it in the too-hard-basket :( Sue the SOB.

I think you are right - I am having serious doubts as to whether he even drafted the Argument. Nobody has seen it and he isn't even replying to e-mails and phone calls from us now. We have been e-mailing him since the 6th March, requesting a copy of this document. Before that we asked him when we spoke to him on the phone. He said he had sent it. He hasn't.

My husband has left two messages for him today on his voicemail and I have e-mailed twice since yesterday and no response. He has access to a computer because he has responded to posters on another forum, only this morning!

I am so sick of it and now I am worried that he has actually jeopardised my son's case when we had every confidence in him that he was going to help.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Timeline

I would go to the forum where he is posting and post everywhere his is that you do not recommend him as a lawyer.... that he has taken your money and done nothing in return..... that should get his attention and warn others not to use him.....

Kezzie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
He has access to a computer because he has responded to posters on another forum, only this morning!

How about a "gentle" message on that forum to him? If that doesn't work, tell your story on that forum?

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Are there any 'good' lawyer stories out there?

We had a nightmare lawyer ...she cost us plenty and actually caused hubby's overstay....by the time we were "done" with her we had no money and no options. We later found a fabulous lawyer, she was efficient, responsive and came with us to the AOS meeting. She rocked. Looking back it was easy to see the difference from the beginning, but we were naive and gullible and didn't want to believe we were being taken for a ride.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just saw your reply Kezzie :thumbs: Great minds think alike and she should definately not let this guy get away with what he is doing to Girona's family!

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

If there actually IS an argument, and he would ever send it to you, I'd send it to that lady at the District office myself (if I were you).

And I'm sure you'd have to be careful on the other forum to post and take him to task. They would probably lock the thread very quickly.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

(((((( Hugs ))))))

I have the sinking, sinking feeling that I know who your attorney is. Wow. I'm shocked but I just googled the bar association reprimand and I'm shocked at that too.

This is a really tough situation. I wonder if there's some way you could leverage the other forum and get him to produce the document. If it's who I think it is, seems like he might still be the best choice to get the darned thing written. Unfortunately. I know you guys had been looking a long time to find a lawyer who even knew what you were talking about, and it can't be easy to find yet another one at this stage.

Maybe the best thing to do is to try to have a heart-to-heart with him. Ridiculous I know but maybe it's the thing most likely to produce the result you want, which is the legal argument paper. Since he won't answer your calls, maybe over email.

Hang in there. I wish you the best.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry your family is still going thru this s#it.

This is just terrible to say the least.

I can say one thing. YOUR A STRONG WOMEN THAT IS FOR SURE. (F)

Some lawyers are just crooks. They just want the money and thats it.

I will pray that you get some good news soon (F)

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
(((((( Hugs ))))))

I have the sinking, sinking feeling that I know who your attorney is. Wow. I'm shocked but I just googled the bar association reprimand and I'm shocked at that too.

This is a really tough situation. I wonder if there's some way you could leverage the other forum and get him to produce the document. If it's who I think it is, seems like he might still be the best choice to get the darned thing written. Unfortunately. I know you guys had been looking a long time to find a lawyer who even knew what you were talking about, and it can't be easy to find yet another one at this stage.

Maybe the best thing to do is to try to have a heart-to-heart with him. Ridiculous I know but maybe it's the thing most likely to produce the result you want, which is the legal argument paper. Since he won't answer your calls, maybe over email.

Hang in there. I wish you the best.

Yes, it is the person you are thinking of - I still have your PM from a while ago. Anyway, hubby managed to get hold of him today and expressed our sincere concern that he is not communicating well with us. He said that he has been in Court, etc. and he sent out the document to us yesterday - even though we have been requesting for nearly a month. He also promised to get the document to the District Director and it would go out tonight. I pray I can rely on him, but his past actions have made me wary. I guess, I will just believe it when I see it.

The sad thing is that this attorney has had some great results and taken on cases many others would not have even taken on. He was the only one that understood where we were coming from and offered us a glimmer of hope. I just hope that he can come through in the end.

Thanks guys for all your input. I will let you all know what happens.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad you got ahold of the lawyer. :D

Hopefully you will have that letter in your hands by early next week

Best of luck (F)

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Nice to hear that you did get in contact with him and hope you have the papers like he has said soon. Good luck.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Timeline

MTR's HAVE to go to the Chicago Lockbox, because a fee is involved. When we tried to submit ours to Lee's Summit, Missouri, who made the denial decision, it was returned with a note to send it to Chicago. They then forward it to the office that made the decision. The attorney should have sent it with check to Chicago and copied the District Director. p.s. our MTR was granted after 58 days.

We instructed an attorney to deal with our son's case, a few months ago now. The case is rather unusual in that the District Director has agreed to look at our attorney's Argument and then send the file to the Administrative Appeals Office for a "certified" decision. This means that all other cases like ours will have to adjudicate in the same manner that the AAO decides.

Well, the attorney was told that the Argument had to go to the District Director, marked for her personal attention. I made it clear in an e-mail and my husband re-iterated this, several times, in a phone conversation with the attorney.

Well, for the past month we have been trying to get a copy of the Argument that he says he prepared and sent. He has promised, several times, that it will be in the mail - it hasn't arrived. He says that there is some problem sending it in an e-mail as it is a large document in pdf format - I receive pdf's that are hundreds of pages long every day without any problems.

We got hold of the District Director, who has been extremely helpful in this case - I think that they are as sick of it as we are and just want to end this 3 years of indecision. She tells us that the document has not been received, and it should have been almost a month ago!

My husband speaks with the attorney and he says that he sent it to Chicago - as this is the "standard" procedure for MTR's! We told him that this was not being dealt with in a "standard" fashion and that the District Director was courteous enough to meet with us over this and has offered an alternative way of dealing with it.

I sent an e-mail yesterday, again requesting a copy of this document he has supposedly produced, but I have not received a response. We paid this attorney up-gront, a considerable amount of money, and have seen absolutely nothing for it.

What would you do?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.