Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
K-9 Visa

Cuban K-1 interview in Havana vs. Guyana?

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the link to the State Department's guide for Cubans applying for immigrant visas in Guyana:

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/Havana-GEO.pdf#page5

 

From reading the timelines and discussion board, it looks like the timeline for an interview in Havana is 12 months, and in Guyana 7 months. Is that right? Should we put Georgetown, Guyana in question 62 of the I-129f, "Your beneficiary will apply for a visa abroad at the U.S. Embassy at..." Is there any reason not to interview in Guyana? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For K-1, Guyana is your only option. Havana is only processing diplomatic visas.


CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, K-9 Visa said:

From reading the timelines and discussion board, it looks like the timeline for an interview in Havana is 12 months

That info is outdated for now. All visa applications (except diplomatic) that were pending in Havana were cancelled: https://cu.usembassy.gov/frequently-asked-questions/ It could change in the future, but right now if a Cuban is at the NVC stage and the USC's petition listed Havana then NVC automatically assigns the case to Georgetown, Guyana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

I did did a lot of research on this matter, since the interviews in Cuba are only for medical emergencies.  In looking at the options for Cuban Nationals, and also the experiences and challenges in Guyana and Columbia, there are other options.

 

Due to the excessive complaints, you can now go to any US Embassy for the interview.  However, when aligning flights I discovered most of the airlines make a stop to places that require Cubans to have a Visa (Bahamas, Miami, NY).  I chose Barbados, because we did not want to travel to South America due to the heavy presence of dunge fever/Zika Virus, high crime in Georgetown, and the open water issues there.

 

In looking at the challenging flights, we found Caribbean Airlines had the best prices, friendly stops (Trinidad), and shortest flight durations.  If you choose Barbados, I would state that intent on the cover letter of the petition.

 

Good Luck!

Edited by Jade2jewel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jade2jewel said:

Hello,

 

I did did a lot of research on this matter, since the interviews in Cuba are only for medical emergencies.  In looking at the options for Cuban Nationals, and also the experiences and challenges in Guyana and Columbia, there are other options.

 

Due to the excessive complaints, you can now go to any US Embassy for the interview.  However, when aligning flights I discovered most of the airlines make a stop to places that require Cubans to have a Visa (Bahamas, Miami, NY).  I chose Barbados, because we did not want to travel to South America due to the heavy presence of dunge fever/Zika Virus, high crime in Georgetown, and the open water issues there.

 

In looking at the challenging flights, we found Caribbean Airlines had the best prices, friendly stops (Trinidad), and shortest flight durations.  If you choose Barbados, I would state that intent on the cover letter of the petition.

 

Good Luck!

That's only true for tourist visas. Not K-1 or immigrant visas. Unless your fiancé has residency in one of those countries, you have to go to Guyana.


CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

i did did a lot of research on this matter, since the interviews in Cuba are only for medical emergencies.  In looking at the options for Cuban Nationals, and also the experiences and challenges in Guyana and Columbia, there are other options.

 

Due to the excessive complaints, you can now go to any US Embassy for the interview.  However, when aligning flights I discovered most of the airlines make a stop to places that require Cubans to have a Visa (Bahamas, Miami, NY).  I chose Barbados, because we did not want to travel to South America due to the heavy presence of dunge fever/Zika Virus, high crime in Georgetown, and the open water issues there.

 

In looking at the challenging flights, we found Caribbean Airlines had the best prices, friendly stops (Trinidad), and shortest flight durations.  If you choose Barbados, I would state that intent on the cover letter of the petition.

 

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to provide the verbiage stated on the US Embassy Havana regarding choosing another embassy if specifically stated on the cover letter.

 

What if I would prefer to process my immigrant visa case at another U.S. embassy or consulate?  Am I required to process my case in Georgetown?


While current immigrant visa applications will automatically be scheduled at, and transferred to, U.S. Embassy Georgetown, immigrant visa applicants may request to process their application, or continue processing their application, at another U.S. embassy or consulate.  Such applicants must provide justification for the case transfer (such as, for example, a move or change in residency to another country) and show that they can legally reside in the country while their case is being processed.  If the case file has already been transferred to U.S. Embassy Georgetown, a transfer request must be forwarded directly to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the chosen U.S. embassy or consulate.  If the case file is still held at the National Visa Center (NVC), you can contact them using the Ask NVC online contact form.  If the U.S. embassy or consulate agrees to accept the case and the case is qualified for scheduling, NVC will transfer the case to your requested U.S. embassy or consulate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jade2jewel said:

I wanted to provide the verbiage stated on the US Embassy Havana regarding choosing another embassy if specifically stated on the cover letter.

 

What if I would prefer to process my immigrant visa case at another U.S. embassy or consulate?  Am I required to process my case in Georgetown?


While current immigrant visa applications will automatically be scheduled at, and transferred to, U.S. Embassy Georgetown, immigrant visa applicants may request to process their application, or continue processing their application, at another U.S. embassy or consulate.  Such applicants must provide justification for the case transfer (such as, for example, a move or change in residency to another country) and show that they can legally reside in the country while their case is being processed.  If the case file has already been transferred to U.S. Embassy Georgetown, a transfer request must be forwarded directly to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the chosen U.S. embassy or consulate.  If the case file is still held at the National Visa Center (NVC), you can contact them using the Ask NVC online contact form.  If the U.S. embassy or consulate agrees to accept the case and the case is qualified for scheduling, NVC will transfer the case to your requested U.S. embassy or consulate.

I’m in a Facebook group with over 100 people going through this process and I went through it myself for CR-1 in Colombia. Many asked Barbados and Trinidad & Tobago, and unless your fiancé is a resident there, they will not grant that special permissions. The scams people are pulling in Guyana arent a valid reason.  Notice the text you just cited says “reside” in that country. That means permanent residency or a second citizenship. Maybe a student visa. If you are there on a tourist visa, you don’t reside there. I don’t want you to go wasting your money on flights, etc. Nobody likes the idea of going to Guyana, but you’re stuck.


CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jade2jewel said:

Hello,

 

i did did a lot of research on this matter, since the interviews in Cuba are only for medical emergencies.  In looking at the options for Cuban Nationals, and also the experiences and challenges in Guyana and Columbia, there are other options.

 

Due to the excessive complaints, you can now go to any US Embassy for the interview.  However, when aligning flights I discovered most of the airlines make a stop to places that require Cubans to have a Visa (Bahamas, Miami, NY).  I chose Barbados, because we did not want to travel to South America due to the heavy presence of dunge fever/Zika Virus, high crime in Georgetown, and the open water issues there.

 

In looking at the challenging flights, we found Caribbean Airlines had the best prices, friendly stops (Trinidad), and shortest flight durations.  If you choose Barbados, I would state that intent on the cover letter of the petition.

 

Good Luck!

Hello! As someone in the same position, I would like to reiterate that for the K-1 or K-3 visa Georgetown, Guyana is the sole and only option. One can apply for a NON-IMMIGRANT visa at any embassy. If the intent of the Petitioner is for their partner to LIVE in the US, Guyana is all you've got. Good luck, everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×