ds2

Questions before moving

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Fellow VJers,

My K1 visa is approved and I'm moving to New York in April and had a couple of questions:

1) What things should I take care of in India before moving? I have a couple of things in mind like cancelling my credit cards, updating my parent's phone number in places there is my phone numbers like bank accounts, anything else that I should take care of based on experience?

2) My fiancee has got a studio apartment in New York which she applied last year for 1 person only since I don't have any US documents or income? I'm not sure if 2 people can stay in that place, and if my fiancee can add me as a spouse once we are married on such short notice? Like 2-3 months after she gets the apartment?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Best,

Deepak & Angela

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
22 minutes ago, ds2 said:

Hello Fellow VJers,

My K1 visa is approved and I'm moving to New York in April and had a couple of questions:

1) What things should I take care of in India before moving? I have a couple of things in mind like cancelling my credit cards, updating my parent's phone number in places there is my phone numbers like bank accounts, anything else that I should take care of based on experience?

2) My fiancee has got a studio apartment in New York which she applied last year for 1 person only since I don't have any US documents or income? I'm not sure if 2 people can stay in that place, and if my fiancee can add me as a spouse once we are married on such short notice? Like 2-3 months after she gets the apartment?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Best,

Deepak & Angela

Cancel your regular health insurance for the day that you leave (I assume you're going to deregister from India so you wouldn't need your health insurance anymore), cancel any other insurance you have (like car insurance), get a temporary health insurance until you can get on your fiancé's insurance once you're married or get your own insurance here, starting the day you leave India. If you live on your own make sure to cancel your lease, utilities etc on time.

I cancelled my phone plan from the Netherlands, but made sure it was cancelled once I lived in the States for 1 month so I could arrange certain stuff that I needed a Dutch number for. I cancelled my Dutch credit card / bank account once I was here about 3 months and transferred all my money/savings to a US account. 

Your fiancé could register you as an authorized user on her credit card(s) right before you arrive so you have your own cc and that way you will build up credit in a few months (if her credit score is good) 

Regarding the studio apartment, your fiancé should obviously check if a second person is allowed on the lease. If not, just let it go and get the utility bills in both names. My husband bought a house right before I moved here and to get me on the mortgage we would have to get a new mortgage. Needless to say we're not going to do that lol, so I just put the utility bills in both names. You'll be fine with that.

Edited by C90

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
18 hours ago, C90 said:

Cancel your regular health insurance for the day that you leave (I assume you're going to deregister from India so you wouldn't need your health insurance anymore), cancel any other insurance you have (like car insurance), get a temporary health insurance until you can get on your fiancé's insurance once you're married or get your own insurance here, starting the day you leave India. If you live on your own make sure to cancel your lease, utilities etc on time.

I cancelled my phone plan from the Netherlands, but made sure it was cancelled once I lived in the States for 1 month so I could arrange certain stuff that I needed a Dutch number for. I cancelled my Dutch credit card / bank account once I was here about 3 months and transferred all my money/savings to a US account. 

Your fiancé could register you as an authorized user on her credit card(s) right before you arrive so you have your own cc and that way you will build up credit in a few months (if her credit score is good) 

Regarding the studio apartment, your fiancé should obviously check if a second person is allowed on the lease. If not, just let it go and get the utility bills in both names. My husband bought a house right before I moved here and to get me on the mortgage we would have to get a new mortgage. Needless to say we're not going to do that lol, so I just put the utility bills in both names. You'll be fine with that.

Thank you so much @C90 :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.