Alex&Jen

Mailing Petition tomorrow...Last questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I am in the final process of putting the documents together to mail out tomorrow. I have a couple of last minute questions. 

1) Can the boxes that do not pertain to me or my husband on the petitions be left blank? I have read that no boxes can be left blank. Or do I need to put "Not Applicable" in all the blank boxes. 

2) I found an error in the marriage date and had accidentally typed his birth year, not our marriage year. I crossed it out with black ink and wrote the correct year. Will they deny the petition if I did that? 

3) I originally had my husband fill out the I-130a form out while I was with him in Honduras, so he was able to sign it. However, his handwriting is not the best and he wrote the dates in as dd/mm/year, not mm/dd/year. So I retyped all his information and printed the form out. Does he have to sign the petition for the I-130a? 

4) My husband was arrested and found innocent. He was part of a protest in Honduras. I did not see a place on the I-130a to disclose that information. Will that be disclosed later in the process? Also, his record is clean now and does not show an arrest. I told him we would need to provide both documents 1) the one with his arrest and 2) his clean one, and still disclose all the information. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

1) It's better to write N/A then leave the boxes blank, IMHO.

2) There should be no markings (crossing outs, etc) on the form. If I were you, Id' redo the page and print it out again.

3) If he is not in the US, he does not need to sign I-130.

4) Yes, later he will be able to disclose this information.

Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 minutes ago, portorusa said:

2) There should be no markings (crossing outs, etc) on the form. If I were you, Id' redo the page and print it out again.

Good luck!

For 1) above, there can be and should probably be MANY boxes left blank.  If you have entered "No Children" in box one for children, all the other boxes about children can be and should be left blank.  May questions are "applicable" even if the answer is "NONE".  Don't tell them their question is N/A when the answer is NONE.  The new form renders certain sections unavailable to enter anything once a NO box above is checked or ticked.  

2) I would reprint the form with the correct date typed in.  If you saved it as PDF, it's editable.  You don't have to do it over.  On the other hand, such a hand correction is perfectly acceptable.  They will NOT deny the petition based on such a thing.

3)  He does not need to sign the I-130a.  There is no place for the beneficiary to sign the I-130.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
11 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

For 1) above, there can be and should probably be MANY boxes left blank.  If you have entered "No Children" in box one for children, all the other boxes about children can be and should be left blank.  May questions are "applicable" even if the answer is "NONE".  Don't tell them their question is N/A when the answer is NONE.  The new form renders certain sections unavailable to enter anything once a NO box above is checked or ticked.  

2) I would reprint the form with the correct date typed in.  If you saved it as PDF, it's editable.  You don't have to do it over.  On the other hand, such a hand correction is perfectly acceptable.  They will NOT deny the petition based on such a thing.

3)  He does not need to sign the I-130a.  There is no place for the beneficiary to sign the I-130.

Thank you! You made me think of another question. Should I add my daughter to the family information. I thought I should add her and list her as his step-daughter. 

22 minutes ago, portorusa said:

Good luck!

Thank you!!! 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

Thank you! You made me think of another question. Should I add my daughter to the family information. I thought I should add her and list her as his step-daughter. 

Thank you!!! 

Answer the questions on the form.  I don't recall any questions about YOUR children.  Do you?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Answer the questions on the form.  I don't recall any questions about YOUR children.  Do you?

Page 6 it says "provide information about the beneficiary's spouse and children". I would think I could include his step-daughter (my daughter).

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

Page 6 it says "provide information about the beneficiary's spouse and children". I would think I could include his step-daughter (my daughter).

You "can" and list her as "step daughter".  However, she is not the beneficiary's child.  She is the petitioner's child.  Read carefully, interpret LITERALLY, and answer accurately, is the concept to follow here.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

You "can" and list her as "step daughter".  However, she is not the beneficiary's child.  She is the petitioner's child.  Read carefully, interpret LITERALLY, and answer accurately, is the concept to follow here.

Sounds good. I will leave her off the form. Thank you. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.