John & Rose

Does W7 require a wet signature?

13 posts in this topic

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this.  I met with an CAA and they told me they are only Certified for Canada and Mexico.  They did not say that when I made the appointment.  They also dodged the question about wet signature W7 vs scanned and printed W7.

Is a scanned and printed signature acceptable for the W7?

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

~~moved to taxes and finances from IR1/CR1 process and procedures.  W7 is a tax form and not part of the IR1/CR1 process~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this.  I met with an CAA and they told me they are only Certified for Canada and Mexico.  They did not say that when I made the appointment.  They also dodged the question about wet signature W7 vs scanned and printed W7.

I believe all IRS documents require a wet signature. I do not believe that a scanned and printed copy will suffice. Is there something that is preventing you from submitting the W-7 with wet signature?

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

11 minutes ago, junkmart said:

I believe all IRS documents require a wet signature. I do not believe that a scanned and printed copy will suffice. Is there something that is preventing you from submitting the W-7 with wet signature?

It is just a timing issue.  I have her passport but we are already past NOA2 for the CR-1 so I need to get the passport back to her.  Mail takes 2 to 3 weeks even with FedEx and then the IRS needs to assign the number.  I have a trip planned for early April to return the passport before her interview.  I won't have enough time to get her to send a wet signature and still have her passport back before I go.  I will probably have to either file without her information and amend it later or ask for an extension and file when she gets here.  Her deduction is worth $7000 on my taxes to that would be nice to have before they arrive.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
2 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

It is just a timing issue.  I have her passport but we are already past NOA2 for the CR-1 so I need to get the passport back to her.  Mail takes 2 to 3 weeks even with FedEx and then the IRS needs to assign the number.  I have a trip planned for early April to return the passport before her interview.  I won't have enough time to get her to send a wet signature and still have her passport back before I go.  I will probably have to either file without her information and amend it later or ask for an extension and file when she gets here.  Her deduction is worth $7000 on my taxes to that would be nice to have before they arrive.

Tell me if I'm understanding correctly, your wife is in the Phillipines and you have her passport in the US?

I was going to ask if you had looked into the option of her applying for the ITIN in the Phillipines through a CAA, but if you have her passport, that won't work.https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/obtaining-an-itin-from-abroad

Another option may be for you to get a Power of Attorney, then you could sign for your wife. You would need to include the POA and form 2848 with the W-7. You might want to do this through a CAA in the US, so that way you can hang on to her passport.

1 minute ago, junkmart said:

Tell me if I'm understanding correctly, your wife is in the Phillipines and you have her passport in the US?

I was going to ask if you had looked into the option of her applying for the ITIN in the Phillipines through a CAA, but if you have her passport, that won't work.https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/obtaining-an-itin-from-abroad

Another option may be for you to get a Power of Attorney, then you could sign for your wife. You would need to include the POA and form 2848 with the W-7. You might want to do this through a CAA in the US, so that way you can hang on to her passport.

I screwed this one up by not doing my homework.  Yes, she is in the Philippines and I have her passport in the states.  I knew I had to send it in with the ITR but I failed to look at the W7.  The CAA here needs here needs a wet signature and the POA also needs a wet signature.  I made an appointment to meet a CAA yesterday but when I got there they told me they are only certified for Mexico and Canada.  

I will look into the POA form to see if that is an option but I assume it still comes down to her signature authorizing me to sign for her.  I also checked with the IRS at a TAC.  She needs to go to the TAC in person so that is out for here.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

I screwed this one up by not doing my homework.  Yes, she is in the Philippines and I have her passport in the states.  I knew I had to send it in with the ITR but I failed to look at the W7.  The CAA here needs here needs a wet signature and the POA also needs a wet signature.  I made an appointment to meet a CAA yesterday but when I got there they told me they are only certified for Mexico and Canada.  

I will look into the POA form to see if that is an option but I assume it still comes down to her signature authorizing me to sign for her.  I also checked with the IRS at a TAC.  She needs to go to the TAC in person so that is out for here.

Geeze what a difficult situation. I was going to suggest contacting TAC, but you're ahead of me. Sounds like you are as knowledgeable, if not more, than I am on this subject. Best of luck!

Just now, junkmart said:

Geeze what a difficult situation. I was going to suggest contacting TAC, but you're ahead of me. Sounds like you are as knowledgeable, if not more, than I am on this subject. Best of luck!

I'm just cramming all the homework I should have done before into a few days.  I am going to send her the W7 to sign.  Once I get it back I will see the next steps.  I am going to include an overnight envelope for the passport return in the package with the tax return.  I am also going to be doing a lot of praying.  She does have her old passport in her maiden name that may play into this.  Thank you for the thoughts.  It really did help me to see that I am looking in the right place.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Rose signed and mailed the W7 yesterday.  They said I should have it in 2 weeks.  I will mail the tax return along with the W7 and a priority overnight envelope for the passport return.  That is the best we can do and I think it may work idf there isn't another Government shutdown in 2 weeks!!!  Fingers crossed.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
9 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Rose signed and mailed the W7 yesterday.  They said I should have it in 2 weeks.  I will mail the tax return along with the W7 and a priority overnight envelope for the passport return.  That is the best we can do and I think it may work idf there isn't another Government shutdown in 2 weeks!!!  Fingers crossed.

I'm about to send my W-7 along with tax return also. You may already know this, but be sure to mail your W-7 with tax return to the address listed in the W-7 instructions, not to the address in the 1040 instructions.

20 minutes ago, junkmart said:

I'm about to send my W-7 along with tax return also. You may already know this, but be sure to mail your W-7 with tax return to the address listed in the W-7 instructions, not to the address in the 1040 instructions.

Correct.  I think it is Austin Texas.  It is in the W7 instructions.  Thanks for the heads up!

IMG_5168.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 10:23 PM, John & Rose said:

I am doing my taxes right now and have spoke to numerous entities including the IRS and there is nothing on the instructions... all 14 pages of them telling you how to fill a one page, approx. 10 or more questions .......about how to sign , not even in the signature area of the instructions . from my understanding you can copy your ID eg. passport and such . Just my take on it. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, Gefan said:

I am doing my taxes right now and have spoke to numerous entities including the IRS and there is nothing on the instructions... all 14 pages of them telling you how to fill a one page, approx. 10 or more questions .......about how to sign , not even in the signature area of the instructions . from my understanding you can copy your ID eg. passport and such . Just my take on it. 

Nope.  We are all done and set now.  Signatures had to be wet and the passport had to be the original or a government certified copy.  I went to a IRS TAC (Taxpayer Assistance Center) and got all the info.  It was a long process but it was very easy.  They kept the passport for about a month but I enclosed a self addressed priority mail envelope so I knew exactly when they would send it back.  I did get the passport back before my trip so everything, although stressful, did work out great.  There was no way around having a wet signature and the original passport.  No copies are accepted.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.