Mr Genuis

Police certificate in South Korea

73 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, NLQ591 said:

However it does state that the ones with check reply Is ONLY FOR KOREANS...

Bro. Thats what i used and same thing 2 of my friends used. None of us are koreans. 

On 6/7/2019 at 5:57 AM, NLQ591 said:

However it does state that the ones with check reply Is ONLY FOR KOREANS...

I had my Interview yesterday (10th June, EB2 category).

They only took the PCC which is for Foreigners, and it was 4 months old.

Although I had the latest one, but I didn't submit that one and they didn't ask for the latest PCC.

They even didn't ask for PCC with check reply (which is for Koreans).

This is my experience, now you may decide what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this forum is for those that currently live in Korea, but for those who have searched here or replied here and possibly have gone back to their country (in my case Canada) this might be relevant.

I asked the embassy in Toronto what to do about the requirement for the CBC with lapsed records and here is what they wrote to me:

"US Immigration, Citizenship Immigration Canada and some special job position require CRC reply with lapsed records. However, the Korean National Police Agency (KNPA) does not issue the CRC reply with lapsed records anymore since Nov 2017. So, I contacted the officer in charge at headquarter of Korean National Police Agency. The officer gave me the following answer.

1.  KNPA stopped issuing Criminal Record Check Reply to foreign nationals.

2.  KNPA is issuing CRC reply to the Korean Nationals. However, the reply shall be used for purpose of review only. A person who uses the reply for the other purposes (including submitting it to the foreign government) could be sentenced to imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to 20 million won in accordance with the clause 2 and 3 of Article 10 of “ACT ON THE LAPSE OF CRIMINAL SENTENCES”.

3.  KNPA can only issues “Background Check(Criminal Records) Certificate” which does not include the lapsed records.

Korean National Police Agency had issued CRC reply with lapsed record until November 2017. However, they found so many applicants submit the documents to the foreign government. So they decided to stop issuing the reply to people.

So what you can do is to apply regular criminal record certificate which without lapsed record from our office. Once it is issued you submit it to the immigration office and explain the story I wrote above. I am sorry about that we cannot issue any official letter regarding this situation because we are not the one in charge of issuing the reply. However, please ask the immigration officer to contact our office or KNPA headquarter if the officer needs any confirmation about the CRC reply."

So, it seems that I will not be able to even get the type of police certificate that US Immigration is asking for. When it comes time to submit this to NVC, I hope there are no issues. I know that for those in Korea it's done DCF, but for anyone reading this, were you able to successfully upload and have accepted the regular background check?

4 hours ago, canadavisa22 said:

I know that this forum is for those that currently live in Korea, but for those who have searched here or replied here and possibly have gone back to their country (in my case Canada) this might be relevant.

I asked the embassy in Toronto what to do about the requirement for the CBC with lapsed records and here is what they wrote to me:

"US Immigration, Citizenship Immigration Canada and some special job position require CRC reply with lapsed records. However, the Korean National Police Agency (KNPA) does not issue the CRC reply with lapsed records anymore since Nov 2017. So, I contacted the officer in charge at headquarter of Korean National Police Agency. The officer gave me the following answer.

1.  KNPA stopped issuing Criminal Record Check Reply to foreign nationals.

2.  KNPA is issuing CRC reply to the Korean Nationals. However, the reply shall be used for purpose of review only. A person who uses the reply for the other purposes (including submitting it to the foreign government) could be sentenced to imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to 20 million won in accordance with the clause 2 and 3 of Article 10 of “ACT ON THE LAPSE OF CRIMINAL SENTENCES”.

3.  KNPA can only issues “Background Check(Criminal Records) Certificate” which does not include the lapsed records.

Korean National Police Agency had issued CRC reply with lapsed record until November 2017. However, they found so many applicants submit the documents to the foreign government. So they decided to stop issuing the reply to people.

So what you can do is to apply regular criminal record certificate which without lapsed record from our office. Once it is issued you submit it to the immigration office and explain the story I wrote above. I am sorry about that we cannot issue any official letter regarding this situation because we are not the one in charge of issuing the reply. However, please ask the immigration officer to contact our office or KNPA headquarter if the officer needs any confirmation about the CRC reply."

So, it seems that I will not be able to even get the type of police certificate that US Immigration is asking for. When it comes time to submit this to NVC, I hope there are no issues. I know that for those in Korea it's done DCF, but for anyone reading this, were you able to successfully upload and have accepted the regular background check?

You can go with the regular background check. It seems like the Embassy now understand its difficult to get the requested backgroynd check for non korean citizen. How ever, like i initially stated. I went to 3 different police station to get the one with check reply. They refused and claimed they no longer issue it. So i was adviced to go to jongno insadong police station and i got it from there. If you can get what they want, give to them. If you cant give to the embassy what the police gave you.

16 hours ago, Mr Genuis said:

You can go with the regular background check. It seems like the Embassy now understand its difficult to get the requested backgroynd check for non korean citizen. How ever, like i initially stated. I went to 3 different police station to get the one with check reply. They refused and claimed they no longer issue it. So i was adviced to go to jongno insadong police station and i got it from there. If you can get what they want, give to them. If you cant give to the embassy what the police gave you.

The issue for those who are now in another country (Canada for me) is that we don't have DCF. So we have to get the NVC and the interviewing CO to accept that response from the Korean Embassy. I wrote here to see if anyone else who has been in this thread might have had the same experience. It does seem, like you said, that some people can get it and some can't and the Embassy there is accepting things either way. Hopefully that's the case directly with US Immigration too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 7:44 PM, konio said:

I had my Interview yesterday (10th June, EB2 category).

They only took the PCC which is for Foreigners, and it was 4 months old.

Although I had the latest one, but I didn't submit that one and they didn't ask for the latest PCC.

They even didn't ask for PCC with check reply (which is for Koreans).

This is my experience, now you may decide what to do.

Hi Konio,

I really want to talk in this issue of Korean Police Certificate. NVC rejected my Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate as well as Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply.

I will really appreciate if you could give me a call at 01028152012 or if you share your number.

21 minutes ago, RPP said:

Hi Konio,

I really want to talk in this issue of Korean Police Certificate. NVC rejected my Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate as well as Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply.

I will really appreciate if you could give me a call at 01028152012 or if you share your number.

Congratulations

I hope you are still in Korea. And, hopefully I can talk to you soon.

As Criminal Records Check Reply and Investigation Records Check Reply can also be issued separately, what exact docs did you send to NVC? And in case of Background check (Criminal records) certificate, what was the purpose of issue? Was it VISA or Permanent residence?

I am just fade up with the rejection of South Korean Police Certificate by NVC time and again. I do not understand what exact doc they are looking for! 

If you are in Korea, please give me a call or just leave your number, I will call back.

This is just super important and urgent for me.

Thanking you in advance.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, NLQ591 said:

Just follow what the packet says about police certificate and you won’t have any problem. Submitted my police cert WITHOUT the criminal check reply and there was no problem...

That was the plan, just wanted to see if anyone had successfully gotten through. I also have an email from the consulate in Toronto saying that they don't issue this to foreigners. Is it possible to attach like cover letters/screenshots further explaining the police certificate issue?

Just now, canadavisa22 said:

That was the plan, just wanted to see if anyone had successfully gotten through. I also have an email from the consulate in Toronto saying that they don't issue this to foreigners. Is it possible to attach like cover letters/screenshots further explaining the police certificate issue?

I was ready in any case there would be some questions, I printed the instruction regarding the police certificate on the packet they sent me, stating what is for foreigners and for koreans.. but then there was no question, Which means i submitted what i gave them, then got my visa after 2 days..

1 minute ago, NLQ591 said:

I was ready in any case there would be some questions, I printed the instruction regarding the police certificate on the packet they sent me, stating what is for foreigners and for koreans.. but then there was no question, Which means i submitted what i gave them, then got my visa after 2 days..

Did you apply directly from Korea?

I'm in Canada so we don't have DCF which means we have to upload documents to the National Visa Center (NVC) first who then complete your case and move you onto the interview stage at the consulate (where the visa would then be approved). 

I've read in this thread that the NVC sometimes rejects the police certificate unless you have the "correct" one. So to even move onto the interview stage we have to get past the NVC stage which requires them to accept the police certificate as is. 

10 hours ago, canadavisa22 said:

Did you apply directly from Korea?

I'm in Canada so we don't have DCF which means we have to upload documents to the National Visa Center (NVC) first who then complete your case and move you onto the interview stage at the consulate (where the visa would then be approved). 

I've read in this thread that the NVC sometimes rejects the police certificate unless you have the "correct" one. So to even move onto the interview stage we have to get past the NVC stage which requires them to accept the police certificate as is. 

Yes, i did dcf in korea.  I didn’t hear any problems with the police cert ( with those people i met in the embassy at least during my interview). I was also worried that they might actually reject my police

cert, but they did not since it was clearly indicated on the packet what you should submit.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.