TTG

London Knightsbridge Medical Experience

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd write up my full experience of the Knightsbridge medical from booking to completion as it has been by far the most stressful part of this entire visa journey for me. Hopefully it's helpful and goes some way to ease the minds of anyone going through this process in the future.

Notes: My SCR has one note of insomnia from 10 years ago. I was missing just about every vaccination on the list, and my medical history is patchy due to moving a lot as a child/teenager. I stressed about it beforehand but needn't have (details below.)

1) 10th January 2019 I received notice of my embassy interview which is scheduled for 1st February.

2) 14th January I booked the medical which was scheduled for 22nd January.

3) That same day I went to my GP and requested the summary care records (SCR) and a copy of my immunisation records (they are part of the SCR but I made them print a separate sheet with just that part on it.) No problems from the GP clinic. Everything was done quickly and efficiently with no questions asked, and for free.

4) Appointment day: 

Arrived 15 minutes early.  The place is 5 minutes walk from and just behind Selfridges. Closest tube is Bond St. Walk up the right hand side of Selfridges (James St.) and keep going, then take a right onto Bentinck St. Have all your documents ready: 

Passport
4x passport photos (UK or US they're not fussy)
ACRO certificate

Email/letter confirming embassy interview is scheduled

Medical questionnaire

Summary Care Record

Immunisation record

Make photocopies if you can (I did and it was appreciated by reception). It's not necessary though as they can do it themselves. Just nice to be nice :)

• ARRIVAL. When I entered I was asked to hand over all of my documents. The receptionist looked over everything and took the copies, stamped them, glued the photos on, and put them in a folder along with my passport. She returned all originals except for the passport to me
    I was given a red ziplock style bag with a receptacle for a urine sample and instructed to return it to reception before the end of the medical. (Anytime is fine so there's no rush.) Reception also gave me a few more forms to fill out. One is a consent form, and the other is a medical form similar to the questionnaire I completed beforehand. Handed these back to reception after I completed them and then waited in the waiting room for 5 minutes before being called for my immunisation check with a nurse.

• NURSE/VACCINES. The nurse was lovely and went over my vaccinations. I've moved around internationally a few times since I was a child and there is no record of my childhood vaccines on the SCR and my tetanus had expired. She instructed that I needed the MMR and tetanus+polio vaccines. Ordinarily she would have administered the flu vaccine but it's low stock right now and she wrote that it was not necessary on my documents so I got a free pass there. I was not given the Hep vaccines or tuberculosis nor was it mentioned during the process. A quick talk about allergies and pregnancy and then 2 jabs (ouchies) and I was sent on my way. (You can't get the MMR if you're pregnant or planning to get pregnant within 3 months so seek advice beforehand.) I was given the option of getting these vaccines at my GP but it's far easier to just get them done there and not delay the process any longer.

• X-RAY. Back I went to the waiting room. Another 5 minutes later I was beckoned into the x-ray room by a lovely gent. At this point you'll be given a gown which you'll have to put on. It's a proper hospital gown but thankfully you can keep your trousers on.  Quick snap later and I was on my way again to the waiting room. You get to keep the fashionable gown for the doctor's check.

• DOCTOR.  Waited 10-15 minutes to see the doctor who is a lovely guy and made me feel at ease right away. Do note there is another doctor here but I never met her so cannot comment. He had all my documents laid out on the desk and we went over everything. I signed another consent form, as well as one of the photographs which had been stuck onto the medical form I filled out previously.

At this point he went over my form and made sure everything was OK. I had checked the box for 'cough' which he chuckled at when I explained it was because my SCR has a Dr's visit for a cough for a couple of years ago. He said as long as it's not a permanent feature it's not necessary to tick the box.

The only two complications throughout the 20 minutes it took was the fact that I had a prescription for an antihistamine for seasonal allergies that have since miraculously cleared up as well as a diagnosis for insomnia from about 10 years ago. He asked me to elaborate and I explained that it was because I was stressed out during uni deadlines and needed a Dr's note for a missed deadline so I wouldn't fail a module. All I ever got was the note and I was never given a prescription and have never suffered from sleep problems since, barring the odd bit of jetlag. The allergy thing did not seem to be a problem. He was satisfied with that and made a note on my documents.

After all the paperwork was checked over, I had to put the gown back on (same again, just take off shirt and bra for ladies.) He checked my eyesight with a standard letter reading exercise, each eye individually. Then checked both ears, throat, and eyes with a light. Listened to my breathing and heart with a stethoscope. No reflex test or anything to do with genitals (phew). Finally he took my blood pressure and drew some blood. That last part hurt a little so take a deep breath if you're nervous around needles.

Nice and easy. Lovely chap to talk to and made me feel very at ease all the way through. 

After getting out of my trendy gown, I was asked to step back into the waiting room and wait while my documents were completed. I took this opportunity to complete the urine sample. 

• PAYMENT. The reception called me 2 minutes later at which point I handed in the urine sample, received my vaccination records and confirmation of medical completion (keep this as the embassy will receive their copy from Visa Medicals and you will need it for medical insurance when you get to the US). Finally I paid a whopping £420 for the privilege was being jabbed and questioned. £330 for the medical and £90 for the vaccinations. By far the most painful part of the medical appointment.That's it. Not at all stressful once I actually got to the appointment. I was worried it would be invasive and demeaning (as medical appointments can often be) but everything went very smoothly. Everyone made the effort to make me feel at ease. I never felt the questions were invasive or that anyone was out to deliberately cause problems for the visa. 

I hope this is helpful for someone out there going through this process. Remember to be organised. Book things as soon as possible ESPECIALLY if you have to travel from outside of London for this appointment. Be specific when you ask your GP for your records. The term they use is 'summary care record'. Don't stress out over vaccines. If you need them, you can get them on the spot when you're there for the medical. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Therese said:

She instructed that I needed the MMR and tetanus+polio vaccines.

Nice write up.

A note so somebody doesn't get confused: Adults don't get a polio vaccine. 

It is Tdap (Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis) or Td (Tetanus/diptheria) if you have had a pertussis (whooping cough) jab anytime in your life. In the UK, they do have a 4 in 1 vaccine that covers Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis + polio. Just wanted to clarify that the P an adult immigrant needs is Pertussis, not polio.

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Nice write up.

A note so somebody doesn't get confused: Adults don't get a polio vaccine. 

It is Tdap (Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis) or Td (Tetanus/diptheria) if you have had a pertussis (whooping cough) jab anytime in your life. In the UK, they do have a 4 in 1 vaccine that covers Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis + polio. Just wanted to clarify that the P an adult immigrant needs is Pertussis, not polio.

Aw nice. Sorry I read polio on the sheet. Her writing was pretty sketchy :P 

Edited by Therese

I would add that if you have the time to spare, get any missing vaccinations from your local GP.

While you can get them from Knightsbridge, they will charge you for it. They even suggested I do exactly this but I didn't have time so £400 later.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, TTG said:

Arrived 15 minutes early.  The place is 5 minutes walk from and just behind Selfridges. Closest tube is Bond St. Walk up the right hand side of Selfridges (James St.) and keep going, then take a right onto Bentinck St. Have all your documents ready: 

Passport
4x passport photos (UK or US they're not fussy)
ACRO certificate

Email/letter confirming embassy interview is scheduled

Medical questionnaire

Summary Care Record

Immunisation record

I don't think you need the letter confirming embassy interview, just that you have a case number.

Although someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Just a quick question: 

Does the physician Doctor keep the medical report from GP or do they send it off to the Embassy, because I thought I was suppose to get that back but my physician kept it .. did they forget to give it to me or do they keep and pass onto the embassy?

Thanks in advance 

I had mine today, and they said they will send everything off to the embassy that is needed.

The only documents they return to you are so you can get ripped off on your medical insurance when you move to the states.

My experience was broadly the same as the OP.

No gown for me (male) just take shirt off for x-ray, take shirt off for doctor.

Dr Hou was his name (unsure of spelling), nice guy, young doctor.

Everything seemed very quick and simple. I'd say the doctor part of it is broadly in line with a kind of "new patient" check up you have when signing up for a GP. Listens to your heart, takes some blood, checks your pressure. Really basic stuff.

X-Ray was simple - just stand up the entire time, in and out in a few minutes.

Vaccine wise, I just thought it was easier to get the topups there to ensure everything was 100% correct. They give you the option of going elsewhere, which you can do if your budget is limited.

No flu jab as out of stock, but needed MMR (I was slightly too old for it, only came in in 1988 she said), Tet and Dip boosters.

I was there at 9:40 for a 9:50 appointment and left at 10:50. Home 30 minutes later and having a cuppa.

She said allow 7 working days for delivery to the embassy, but the letter says if your interview is sooner then you should still attend.

At 420 quid all in, I don't know how they manage to keep going.

So far the US visa process has been far quicker and cheaper than the UK process. Interview next, which I imagine is just a rubber stamping exercise. Make sure I've actually met my wife and that I included all the borstal addresses I've stayed at.

Edited by bucksy

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 3:14 PM, Silver12 said:

Just a quick question: 

Does the physician Doctor keep the medical report from GP or do they send it off to the Embassy, because I thought I was suppose to get that back but my physician kept it .. did they forget to give it to me or do they keep and pass onto the embassy?

Thanks in advance 

Doctor kept my medical report and it was passed onto the embassy. 

Sorry for the late reply. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 1/29/2019 at 7:07 AM, bucksy said:

My experience was broadly the same as the OP.

No gown for me (male) just take shirt off for x-ray, take shirt off for doctor.

Dr Hou was his name (unsure of spelling), nice guy, young doctor.

Everything seemed very quick and simple. I'd say the doctor part of it is broadly in line with a kind of "new patient" check up you have when signing up for a GP. Listens to your heart, takes some blood, checks your pressure. Really basic stuff.

X-Ray was simple - just stand up the entire time, in and out in a few minutes.

Vaccine wise, I just thought it was easier to get the topups there to ensure everything was 100% correct. They give you the option of going elsewhere, which you can do if your budget is limited.

No flu jab as out of stock, but needed MMR (I was slightly too old for it, only came in in 1988 she said), Tet and Dip boosters.

I was there at 9:40 for a 9:50 appointment and left at 10:50. Home 30 minutes later and having a cuppa.

She said allow 7 working days for delivery to the embassy, but the letter says if your interview is sooner then you should still attend.

At 420 quid all in, I don't know how they manage to keep going.

So far the US visa process has been far quicker and cheaper than the UK process. Interview next, which I imagine is just a rubber stamping exercise. Make sure I've actually met my wife and that I included all the borstal addresses I've stayed at.

Were you able to call and get your GP or did you have to actually go into the office and request them?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.