Mike Kohan

how to answer criminal questions on K1

7 posts in this topic

I am a petitioner. I had a temp restraining order taken against me by my ex wife 5 years ago so I have to say yes to question number 1.  The problem I am having is to answer about an arrest.  There was a confusion when restraining order was served to me by the police, who told me that I can get my clothes from the house as she is not there, when I went to get my clothes, my neighbor, my ex wife's friend called the police, and another officer came and  arrested me saying that I have violated the court order.  Later on, police let me go and both cases were dismissed by the judge as well.  Questions 2 a.b and c my answer is "no" as it does not apply to me . For question 4a I will say yes and explain it there, but do I need to provide court certified documents etc is my question as it is not a ask I think for it? Would appreciate any insight in this matter. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Kohan said:

I am a petitioner. I had a temp restraining order taken against me by my ex wife 5 years ago so I have to say yes to question number 1.  The problem I am having is to answer about an arrest.  There was a confusion when restraining order was served to me by the police, who told me that I can get my clothes from the house as she is not there, when I went to get my clothes, my neighbor, my ex wife's friend called the police, and another officer came and  arrested me saying that I have violated the court order.  Later on, police let me go and both cases were dismissed by the judge as well.  Questions 2 a.b and c my answer is "no" as it does not apply to me . For question 4a I will say yes and explain it there, but do I need to provide court certified documents etc is my question as it is not a ask I think for it? Would appreciate any insight in this matter. 

Yes, you will need to provide a certified copy from the court showing the disposition of the court on wither it was dismissed or led to a conviction. Just answer truthfully about what happens and you will be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Kohan said:

thank you, was not sure whether I need to as it does not seem to be an ask for q4, but will get one and to include with my documentation

If I remember correctly this is where those questions get confusing bcuz it only mentions court records in the separate instructions doc. Triple check the i129f instructions as I'm pretty sure it specifies there. I'll second the advice to definitely include all court records, also arrest records if you can get them. Happy filing! 

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

Part 3.  Other Information Item Numbers 1. - 3.c.  Criminal Information.  Indicate whether you have ever been the subject of a temporary or permanent protection order or restraining order (either civil or criminal) related to any of the crimes specified below, or arrested, or convicted of any of the crimes specified below.  If you were ever arrested or convicted of any of the specified crimes, you must submit certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and disposition for every arrest or conviction.  You must do so even if your records were sealed, expunged, or otherwise cleared, and regardless of whether anyone, including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney, informed you that you no longer have a criminal record. 1. Specified Crimes A. Convictions for domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse or child neglect, dating violence, elder abuse, and stalking or an attempt to commit any such crime: NOTE:  The term “domestic violence” includes felony or misdemeanor crime of violence committed by a person. (1) Who is a current or former spouse of the victim; (2) With whom the victim shares a child in common; (3) Who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim; (4) Who is similarly situated to a spouse of the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the relevant jurisdiction; or (5) Against whom the victim is protected under the jurisdiction’s domestic or family violence laws. B. Convictions for homicide, murder, manslaughter, rape, abusive sexual contact, sexual exploitation, incest, torture, trafficking, peonage, holding hostage, involuntary servitude, slave trade, kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint, false imprisonment, or an attempt to commit any of these crimes. C. At least three convictions for crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol not arising from a single act.

so mine was a temp restraining order that was lifted after 2 weeks and I did not commit any crimes that they have listed... arrest was subject to violation of the court order and that would fall under 4a (I Think) but it seems like it is better to provide more information upfront rather delay your processing time.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike Kohan said:

I am a petitioner. I had a temp restraining order taken against me by my ex wife 5 years ago so I have to say yes to question number 1.  The problem I am having is to answer about an arrest.  There was a confusion when restraining order was served to me by the police, who told me that I can get my clothes from the house as she is not there, when I went to get my clothes, my neighbor, my ex wife's friend called the police, and another officer came and  arrested me saying that I have violated the court order.  Later on, police let me go and both cases were dismissed by the judge as well. 

"Part 3. Other Information Item Numbers 1. - 3.c. Criminal Information. Indicate whether you have ever been the subject of a temporary or permanent protection order or restraining order (either civil or criminal) related to any of the crimes specified below, or arrested, or convicted of any of the crimes specified below. If you were ever arrested or convicted of any of the specified crimes, you must submit certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and disposition for every arrest or conviction. You must do so even if your records were sealed, expunged, or otherwise cleared, and regardless of whether anyone, including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney, informed you that you no longer have a criminal record. "

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

so imo, you should answer YES, since you were still arrested afterwards and furnished all documents related to it

Questions 2 a.b and c my answer is "no" as it does not apply to me . For question 4a I will say yes and explain it there, but do I need to provide court certified documents etc is my question as it is not a ask I think for it? Would appreciate any insight in this matter. 

yes you need to provide all court certified docs.

Edited by ourjourney_pc

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.