Sarah&Facundo

Traveling Abroad on Green Card

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

My husband's green card interview is in a few weeks. Hopefully all goes well (and I anticipate it will be fine). Once he gets that, we will remove his conditions in 2 year (minus 90 days) and he will apply for naturalization after 3 years. He is currently studying in college and has his summer break beginning in mid-May until the end of August. Are we permitted to travel to Europe during his summer vacation to backpack for a few months? I would think this would be okay, as he would be in the country for more than 6 months this year (we are in his home country for a month right now). He would still have ties to the country and his fall tuition would have already been paid for by the time we left. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The rule of thumb is more than six months inside the US, but in reality, a single trip of this duration will most likely not pose any issues.  If you plan on being out for more than six months you my look into applying for a re-entry permit, but that is not really necessary unless an LPR will be out more than 12 months.  However if he will be out multiple times, it might be a good idea.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

The rule of thumb is more than six months inside the US, but in reality, a single trip of this duration will most likely not pose any issues.  If you plan on being out for more than six months you my look into applying for a re-entry permit, but that is not really necessary unless an LPR will be out more than 12 months.  However if he will be out multiple times, it might be a good idea.

Good Luck!

He would just be out 2-3 months during his summer vacation. I really think it is fine, but I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks for your input!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

He would just be out 2-3 months during his summer vacation. I really think it is fine, but I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks for your input!

My ex took 90+ day trips back to visit her parents every year 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.