kalikala

Joint sponsor living in same household but not a household sponsor

8 posts in this topic

My USC husband will be proving intent to re-establish domicile in the US and with that we will be staying with his cousin temporarily upon approval of my visa.

His cousin will also be our joint sponsor given my husband has no income therefore he does not meet the poverty level for a household of 3 (this includes our son).

I just want to make sure we are doing this correctly as I understand there is a difference between a household member and a joint sponsor.

For our situation is it correct that my husband will file an I-864 and his cousin will also file an I-864 - not an I-864A?

The fact that we will be living together in the same household (temporarily) is making me over-think as to whether she is a joint sponsor or a household member. She isn't really contributing her income with my husbands because his current income is zero. He will have a job lined up when we get there though.

Thank you

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 minutes ago, kalikala said:

My USC husband will be proving intent to re-establish domicile in the US and with that we will be staying with his cousin temporarily upon approval of my visa.

His cousin will also be our joint sponsor given my husband has no income therefore he does not meet the poverty level for a household of 3 (this includes our son).

I just want to make sure we are doing this correctly as I understand there is a difference between a household member and a joint sponsor.

For our situation is it correct that my husband will file an I-864 and his cousin will also file an I-864 - not an I-864A?

The fact that we will be living together in the same household (temporarily) is making me over-think as to whether she is a joint sponsor or a household member. She isn't really contributing her income with my husbands because his current income is zero. He will have a job lined up when we get there though.

Thank you

Yes, that is correct.  If the cousin is married filing a joint tax return, their spouse should provide an I-864a.  A cousin is not a qualifying household member anyway.  Even if it was a brother or parent, they should act as joint sponsor.  Joint sponsor will not count your husband in his household.  He'll count his own household, plus the intending immigrant, you.  Is your son immigrating?  If so, a separate affidavit for him from husband and sponsor.  If son is US Citizen, no affidavit for him and he is not counted in joint sponsor's household.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, kalikala said:

Thank you

Correct. Husband files I 864  as principal sponsor. Joint sponsor files own I 864 .. 

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, that is correct.  If the cousin is married filing a joint tax return, their spouse should provide an I-864a.  A cousin is not a qualifying household member anyway.  Even if it was a brother or parent, they should act as joint sponsor.  Joint sponsor will not count your husband in his household.  He'll count his own household, plus the intending immigrant, you.

Thank you.

Does the cousin's spouse have to file an I-864A if the cousins income alone is over the poverty level for her household size?

Or just the fact that she is married and files joint tax returns alone means the spouse has to provide an I-864A?

For household size clarification, it is herself, spouse and her 3 children plus me. So total of 6.

My husbands will be 3.

Thank you

6 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Correct. Husband files I 864  as principal sponsor. Joint sponsor files own I 864 .. 

Thank you

Just now, kalikala said:

Thank you.

Does the cousin's spouse have to file an I-864A if the cousins income alone is over the poverty level for her household size?

Or just the fact that she is married and files joint tax returns alone means the spouse has to provide an I-864A?

For household size clarification, it is herself, spouse and her 3 children plus me. So total of 6.

My husbands will be 3.

Thank you

I just saw your reply to this on a different topic.

Thank you

8 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Is your son immigrating?  If so, a separate affidavit for him from husband and sponsor.  If son is US Citizen, no affidavit for him and he is not counted in joint sponsor's household.

I posted another question on these forums which alerted me to the fact that my son does not qualify as an immigrant as he can be passed US citizenship through my husband. We are in the process of applying for his passport and CRBA.

So my son will not require and affidavit.

Also my husbands affidavit will only state that there is one person he is sponsoring - (me) and no additional family members. I hope that is correct also.

Timeline
2 hours ago, kalikala said:

I posted another question on these forums which alerted me to the fact that my son does not qualify as an immigrant as he can be passed US citizenship through my husband. We are in the process of applying for his passport and CRBA.

Also my husbands affidavit will only state that there is one person he is sponsoring - (me) and no additional family members. I hope that is correct also.

Yes, he is only sponsoring you, but the child will be listed as part of your husband's household.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 hours ago, kalikala said:

We had a similar situation.  My wife is the sponsored immigrant, but our household size is (4).  Me (sponsor), my wife (immigrant), and our two USC children.

You are the only sponsored immigrant and your husband should tick “3” as household size.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

We had a similar situation.  My wife is the sponsored immigrant, but our household size is (4).  Me (sponsor), my wife (immigrant), and our two USC children.

You are the only sponsored immigrant and your husband should tick “3” as household size.

Filling out the form in PDF with Java Script active, he would simply "tick" 1 for the number of immigrants he is sponsoring and 1 for the one child.  He is automatically counted and the form will automatically fill in the total of 3, based on the entries above.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.