sasapusa24

IR-5 Interview

7 posts in this topic

Parents' interview is the easiest compared to other visa types. Straight relationship questions: petitioner's name, dob, how petitioner migrated, where to stay, petitioner's job... Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Along with other questions about beneficiary: crime related question, visa in the past,  travel history.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

Parents' interview is the easiest compared to other visa types. Straight relationship questions: petitioner's name, dob, how petitioner migrated, where to stay, petitioner's job... Good luck.

Thank you. 

13 hours ago, sasapusa24 said:

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you guys can give me any ideas what are the questions being asked during the interview?  My mom will be having her interview next month for IR-5.

Thank you!

My mom and I attended the interview together. We waited in lines for 3 hours, 3 looooonggg hours in various lines outside and inside the US Consulate. It was HOT, it was HUMID, like 2000% humidity. There was no AC in the waiting area. There was AC in the areas the CO were working though. How nice of them. I must tell you, I am a big guy, 220 lbs, 6ft4. I wore a full suit. It was torture, absolutely terrible.

And then it was the interview.

They asked my mom a grand total of two questions:

1) How did your son get to go to the US in the first place?

2) What is your son's marital status?

It took a grand total of 30 seconds.

Then "Congratulations, your visa was approved. Welcome to the United States of America".

That was IT. I missed a week of work, and traveled 2000 miles for that.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
23 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

That was IT. I missed a week of work, and traveled 2000 miles for that.

Why did you bother? I mean the worst they can do in the case of a parent petition is request DNA evidence the cost of which would be a fraction of your airfare plus one week off work. You probably were looking for an excuse for a vacation lol 😉

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

50 minutes ago, HonoraryCitizen said:

Why did you bother? I mean the worst they can do in the case of a parent petition is request DNA evidence the cost of which would be a fraction of your airfare plus one week off work. You probably were looking for an excuse for a vacation lol 😉

True :) . However, it was a little bit more complicated than that. Mom was previously married to US citizen (not my father) and they tried to do a K3/CR1 and did a very bad job at it. That was circa 2004. It was a straight-up insufficient evidence of bona fide relationship (basically, they were two old people doing a DIY case in the era of pre-Facebook, pre-Viber, ... terrible job putting together the package). She was denied an immigrant visa.They ended up divorced in 2008. So in theory, there shouldn't a problem. But I wanted to be present anyway in case they tried to spin something sinister on her like a 6C1 misrepresentation or something like that. That was the whole reason for me wanting to be there. And yes, one week away wasn't bad, except for the jet lag, then by the time you got used to the time difference, it was time to go back!

Edited by USS_Voyager

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.