SDH

January 2019 - AOS Filers (merged)

1,639 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
12 hours ago, Nora S said:

I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread! Sometimes I have trouble navigating this website...

Anyway! We submitted AOS and EAD applications on 1/4, and got confirmation texts from USCIS on 1/8. We finally got a NOA1 for the AOS, but still haven't seen anything in the mail regarding the EAD. Is this normal? Are we going to need that NOA1 down the line for anything???

Husband got his biometrics letter on 1/25 and had his appt on 2/11. Our status changed to "Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview" on 2/12. Does that actually mean anything? Or do they mean "ready" as in, wait another 10 months.

Also, no updates to the EAD status since biometrics. It's still "Case Was Received" 

Basically, I'm hurrying up and waiting, but I'm nervous about not getting anything in the mail or online updates about the EAD. Anyone in the same boat?

Call USCIS and inquire about it if you haven't received anything yet. You should've received 3 NOA1 letter, and 1 Biometrics letter.
Call them and ask why you didn't get a letter for EAD, and ask them to resend the NOA1 for it, along with receipt number (MSCXXXXXXXX)

"Ready to be scheduled" means basically that you're in line with everyone else for available interview opening, and they'll assign an interview once your turn comes. Thats the longest waiting part of AoS. Some people get interviews in 3 months, some 20months so it varies by how busy your local service center is, how many people reschedule etc etc etc. 

Nothing to hurry, and nothing to be nervous about. It'll stay "case was received" for the whole time, until officer is gonna adjudicate it (approve or deny), then appropriate update will be shown, same goes for AP.

I found that thinking and anticipating the paperwork, calculating the dates when you could receive it, messes with your head. That's human nature of being uneasy in "unknown" and "out of control". We have to control everything ourselves and it makes us upset/stressed out when we can't. Don't think about it. Call USCIS, let them know that you haven't received anything, and forget about it. 

I'm not worried if i get RFE or not, we did what we could best to our knowledge and help of the guides here. Now it depends on million things. Officers mood at the time of adjudicating the case, moon phase, how strong his coffee was, how the traffic on the way to work was, how's the stock market, planet alignment, sun's activity. I'm joking obviously.

I'd advise everyone to do this. Check the status once a week or so. If you'll keep refreshing the page and expect it to magically be approved, i have bad news. Just keep going with your life and pay more attention to your new wife /husband, and be happy. Thats why you're here for. Not some paperwork. It'll come eventually. Stressing over it, constantly checking won't move it faster, and it'll drive you nuts. I'm relieved she's here, and we're together after 4 years of long distance, and not worried about AoS, EAD, or AP.

with this long message i do not intend to target anyone, the second part of the post is for general reference and my personal opinion how to cope with all this. By no means i'm telling that my way is right and that you have to follow it. 

If anyone has more questions feel free to ask, we're here to help you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
29 minutes ago, PaulMac said:

Call USCIS and inquire about it if you haven't received anything yet. You should've received 3 NOA1 letter, and 1 Biometrics letter.
Call them and ask why you didn't get a letter for EAD, and ask them to resend the NOA1 for it, along with receipt number (MSCXXXXXXXX)

"Ready to be scheduled" means basically that you're in line with everyone else for available interview opening, and they'll assign an interview once your turn comes. Thats the longest waiting part of AoS. Some people get interviews in 3 months, some 20months so it varies by how busy your local service center is, how many people reschedule etc etc etc. 

Nothing to hurry, and nothing to be nervous about. It'll stay "case was received" for the whole time, until officer is gonna adjudicate it (approve or deny), then appropriate update will be shown, same goes for AP.

I found that thinking and anticipating the paperwork, calculating the dates when you could receive it, messes with your head. That's human nature of being uneasy in "unknown" and "out of control". We have to control everything ourselves and it makes us upset/stressed out when we can't. Don't think about it. Call USCIS, let them know that you haven't received anything, and forget about it. 

I'm not worried if i get RFE or not, we did what we could best to our knowledge and help of the guides here. Now it depends on million things. Officers mood at the time of adjudicating the case, moon phase, how strong his coffee was, how the traffic on the way to work was, how's the stock market, planet alignment, sun's activity. I'm joking obviously.

I'd advise everyone to do this. Check the status once a week or so. If you'll keep refreshing the page and expect it to magically be approved, i have bad news. Just keep going with your life and pay more attention to your new wife /husband, and be happy. Thats why you're here for. Not some paperwork. It'll come eventually. Stressing over it, constantly checking won't move it faster, and it'll drive you nuts. I'm relieved she's here, and we're together after 4 years of long distance, and not worried about AoS, EAD, or AP.

with this long message i do not intend to target anyone, the second part of the post is for general reference and my personal opinion how to cope with all this. By no means i'm telling that my way is right and that you have to follow it. 

Can we get an, AMEN!!

So true.  For me, it was literally just that NOA1, and now, “it is what it is”.

I just recently got my hard-copy Receipts (yesterday), and am only disappointed/bummed that it took the CLB from January 28th until February 8th to simply enter our case and issue the Receipt/PD.  It shouldn’t have taken that long, but I suspect our package got buried in a stack, and that’s “my luck”.  Hopefully, now that our case is Active, it’ll go the way it’s suppsed to.

Smart words to live on, PaulMac.  It’s so hard to live by them, but truthfully, we should.  Appreciate you and the time you took to share the thoughts with us here.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Northerndynasty said:

Can we get an, AMEN!!

So true.  For me, it was literally just that NOA1, and now, “it is what it is”.

I just recently got my hard-copy Receipts (yesterday), and am only disappointed/bummed that it took the CLB from January 28th until February 8th to simply enter our case and issue the Receipt/PD.  It shouldn’t have taken that long, but I suspect our package got buried in a stack, and that’s “my luck”.  Hopefully, now that our case is Active, it’ll go the way it’s suppsed to.

Smart words to live on, PaulMac.  It’s so hard to live by them, but truthfully, we should.  Appreciate you and the time you took to share the thoughts with us here.

I mean K-1 and AOS are different.
With K-1 you both are apart, and want to get together ASAP. But AoS? You're together, what else do you need? Job will come, friends will too. It'll just take time to adjust and adapt, but besides that, you're together, and in the end, that's all what matters.

9 hours ago, kohldjs said:

It is a waiting game again.  You will get a notice in the mail for when they will schedule your interview.  You can sign up for updates from USCIS but sometimes that doesn't work.  Also Case Tracker on the tablet or smartphones can keep track of your cases and should update once the status change occurs.  Case Tracker works for both Apple and Google systems. 

Good luck the rest of the way

Thank you

Timeline

*AP

What would be the point of AP and EAD if you got it only after Green Card interview? No logic there.

Check processing times. You'll receive AP and EAD likely BEFORE the interview or green card.

1 hour ago, PaulMac said:

Welp, I'm an idiot because I re-checked the envelope and they sent all the NOA1s together, so that's one problem solved.

I still think it's strange that the AOS status updated to reflect the biometrics, but the EAD didn't.

I appreciate the pep talk. I'm grateful every day that my husband and I are finally in the same place, and I know that no amount of paperwork can change the fact that things are *so much better* now that he's here. 

I will say that not stressing over EAD is easier said than done. Living on 1 income is stressful, and our expenses are higher now that he's here. I can't just not worry about it, even though I know I can't control it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Adjusting status from K1 to a permanent residence. My  AOS application package was received by the USCIS, National Benefits Center, Missouri  on December 31st, 2018 but I consider myself as a January filer. 

This is how far my application has got to;

12/312018 Submitted application to USCIS 

1/15/2019 Received Receipts for application from USCIS 

1/18/2019 Received Appointment Notice from USCIS 

1/28/2019 Received RFE notice from USCIS 

2/5/2019 Biometric Appointment done

2/12/2019 USCIS received my RFE reply

Now waiting to hear from USCIS. 

Wishing all January filers luck and early response. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Storm Waters said:

Adjusting status from K1 to a permanent residence. My  AOS application package was received by the USCIS, National Benefits Center, Missouri  on December 31st, 2018 but I consider myself as a January filer. 

This is how far my application has got to;

12/312018 Submitted application to USCIS 

1/15/2019 Received Receipts for application from USCIS 

1/18/2019 Received Appointment Notice from USCIS 

1/28/2019 Received RFE notice from USCIS 

2/5/2019 Biometric Appointment done

2/12/2019 USCIS received my RFE reply

Now waiting to hear from USCIS. 

Wishing all January filers luck and early response. 

hi!
Welcome to the group!
What was RFE for?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, PaulMac said:

hi!
Welcome to the group!
What was RFE for?

My RFE was about my sponsor's current tax returns. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Northerndynasty said:

So...just curious...

How are the notices sent for the various stages and requests?  Text?  Email?  Snail mail?  Just curious...

Thanks!

I received the notice through s mail 😃

Edited by Storm Waters

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Northerndynasty said:

So...just curious...

How are the notices sent for the various stages and requests?  Text?  Email?  Snail mail?  Just curious...

Thanks!

Not many stages are there. NOA1, Biometrics, Interview notices that are sent as papercopies, along with texts and emails. Everything else i believe just updates on the website, maybe emails. not sure on that.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, manekh said:

Did u send 2017 or 2018? Since 2018 wasn’t ready when I filled I sent only 2015/2016/2017. Was it the reason of ref?

I did send  my main sponsor's 2017 tax and a cosponsor's tax return. But they requested a current tax return for my main sponsor and a detailed description of the cosponsor's own. But luckily we send 2018 tax returns and my main sponsor qualify as my sole sponsor 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.