Tjbox

What to expect at POE with CR-1

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
13 hours ago, banana_princess said:

They traumatized you and you are overthinking it 😄. Totally feel you. Im sure it will be ok though, let us know how it went when it's over!

you know, i think you might be right. They traumatized me :D 

I keep you updated here and hope it stays open forum here :) 

When are you arriving? I had my POE at Las Vegas exactly two years ago tomorrow. At this time of the year the airports are very busy, CBP are stretched to the limit because employees take time off to be with their families and flights are very full. As such, on December 19, 2016, it took me 2.5 hours to get through POE with my IR-1. So allow plenty of time if you have an onward flight. 

Incidentally, you were rightfully denied entry that time if your cumulative time in the USA amounted to 8 months in a 12-month period. That’s not occasional visits to the USA. That’s living in the USA with occasional visits to Europe. I’m surprised the IRS isn’t on to you due to you having spent more than 6 months of a 12-month period here. I hope you weren’t working here illegally also (note that even mowing a neighbor’s lawn or repairing a friend’s car and the neighbor/friend giving you a small amount of cash as a thank you is considered “work” by the authorities). 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 hours ago, JFH said:

When are you arriving? I had my POE at Las Vegas exactly two years ago tomorrow. At this time of the year the airports are very busy, CBP are stretched to the limit because employees take time off to be with their families and flights are very full. As such, on December 19, 2016, it took me 2.5 hours to get through POE with my IR-1. So allow plenty of time if you have an onward flight. 

Incidentally, you were rightfully denied entry that time if your cumulative time in the USA amounted to 8 months in a 12-month period. That’s not occasional visits to the USA. That’s living in the USA with occasional visits to Europe. I’m surprised the IRS isn’t on to you due to you having spent more than 6 months of a 12-month period here. I hope you weren’t working here illegally also (note that even mowing a neighbor’s lawn or repairing a friend’s car and the neighbor/friend giving you a small amount of cash as a thank you is considered “work” by the authorities). 

Thank you for all tips! So they processed ur visa at the window? 

You and others are absolutely right that the esta was denied for reason since i was spending there time to get to know my partner better. never said it was not (thought it was not needed to have such bad treaťment and they could write somewhere how much time is esta approved so i could stick to some rules). 

My concern is different. Im freaking about facing cbp again without knowing what to expect now and that i will be tortuted 

And no, i was not working. Any of us have financial dificulties or other reasons that i would need to work without permit. I kept myself bussy in other ways (yes legal hobbies)

is IRS after people travelling back and forward for some period a thing? 😮 

Maybe they were bussy with bigger cases with own citizens or many more who travels back and forward (and some for years) or there was not just anything interesting about me.. or they still will. :D 

Timeline
3 hours ago, JFH said:

I just read about the IRS. And u were right. Thanks for info. I havent heard of them... hope i wont hear about it at Cbp? I fly sunday.

1 hour ago, Tjbox said:

Thank you for all tips! So they processed ur visa at the window? 

You and others are absolutely right that the esta was denied for reason since i was spending there time to get to know my partner better. never said it was not (thought it was not needed to have such bad treaťment and they could write somewhere how much time is esta approved so i could stick to some rules). 

My concern is different. Im freaking about facing cbp again without knowing what to expect now and that i will be tortuted 

And no, i was not working. Any of us have financial dificulties or other reasons that i would need to work without permit. I kept myself bussy in other ways (yes legal hobbies)

is IRS after people travelling back and forward for some period a thing? 😮 

Maybe they were bussy with bigger cases with own citizens or many more who travels back and forward (and some for years) or there was not just anything interesting about me.. or they still will. :D 

No, they sent me to secondary to “process” my visa but secondary was very, very busy and I was there 2.5 hours before my name was called. 

It seems you you think that visiting is a right, not a privilege. That’s why there are no “rules” regarding length of stay or frequency. Entry is a privilege you request nicely each time you arrive but prepared for the answer being “no”. A privilege can be taken away from anyone at a moment’s notice. If you went to the CBP desk with the attitude I am reading between the lines here then it’s little wonder you drew attention to yourself. I visited over 40 times before I emigrated. Never had a problem. No denials. 

Tortured? Oh please. That’s ridiculous. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 12/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Tjbox said:

I just read about the IRS. And u were right. Thanks for info. I havent heard of them... hope i wont hear about it at Cbp? I fly sunday.

Hey @Tjbox how did your arrival go.  Did you have any problems at POE this time around? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.