Cyberfx1024

Guatemalan father trying to attend the funeral of his murdered teenage daughter in North Carolina is REFUSED a visa [edited title]

43 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Cliff notes version please of the story?

16 year old girl living in the US legally (that shouldn't matter but just so we're clear) was kidnapped and eventually murdered.

Her funeral is this week. Her father lives in Guatemala. He was declined a visa request to attend the funeral.

Edited by bcking

26 minutes ago, bcking said:

16 year old girl living in the US legally (that shouldn't matter but just so we're clear) was kidnapped and eventually murdered.

Her funeral is this week. Her father lives in Guatemala. He was declined a visa request to attend the funeral.

The question is why was his request declined. It appears he had been in the US sometime in the past. If he was here illegally that explains it. If that is the case then there is a legitimate risk that he might overstay the visa. I am only speculating but that is one possible explaination.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

59 minutes ago, bcking said:

I have know two girls from Philippines who had long term relationship with Americans Citizens,  one had a cardiac arrest and died and the other from a car wreck, they both were denied visa.  It just the way it is, It sad but that is life. 

They could of always shipped the body back to her fathers home country and had the funeral there, this happens all the time as well

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

54 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I have know two girls from Philippines who had long term relationship with Americans Citizens,  one had a cardiac arrest and died and the other from a car wreck, they both were denied visa.  It just the way it is, It sad but that is life. 

They could of always shipped the body back to her fathers home country and had the funeral there, this happens all the time as well

I believe the mother lives here. There is likely more family here.

I agree it is unlikely to be an isolated issue, and I doubt it is suddenly new in the last 2 years. Still sad. If I were in charge I would make exceptions here. Is there a chance he could stay? Of course there is. That is the case with any visitor. I'd accept larger risk in a case like this because of the circumstances. It's clearly not my call though.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought the Mother was illegal?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I thought the Mother was illegal?

It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the article posted here. I'm trying to find another source.

It's also confusing because the woman quoted in the article posted here is not the mother.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wral.com/guatemalan-father-of-north-carolina-girl-who-was-killed-is-denied-visa-for-her-funeral-lawyer-says/18045110/%3fversion=amp

This article states the dad owns a business in Guatemala.

I also can't find whether he was here illegally when she was born. It just says he used to live here when she was an infant and then he went back.

Edited by bcking

2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

The question is why was his request declined. It appears he had been in the US sometime in the past. If he was here illegally that explains it. If that is the case then there is a legitimate risk that he might overstay the visa. I am only speculating but that is one possible explaination.

Several sites quote the attorney as stating there is absolutely nothing negative in his immigration history.  Apparently he has a business but very little cash on hand, leading to a discretionary denial for failing to overcome insufficient ties to his home country. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

On 12/6/2018 at 8:25 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

I don't know if y'all had heard about this case or  not but it has been big news here in the Carolinas since she went missing on November 5th. The car she went missing in was later found burned a week later without her in it. They had next to no leads that the FBI has let on to the public at all even before her body was found earlier this month. 

It does not surprise me that they did n't grant the humanitarian visa since the girl's mother is Illegal from Guatemala and he is in Guatemala right now. But it is sad all the way around in this case. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6467497/Family-North-Carolina-teen-dead-gets-new-home.html

I'm curious,

Why are you stating the mother is illegal? That isn't in the article you have provided.

Did you get that from somewhere else or are you assuming? If you're assuming, why is that?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, bcking said:

I'm curious,

Why are you stating the mother is illegal? That isn't in the article you have provided.

Did you get that from somewhere else or are you assuming? If you're assuming, why is that?

Pretty sure I read it, plus if she was here legally, and if he was then the Drive By's would have said so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Pretty sure I read it, plus if she was here legally, and if he was then the Drive By's would have said so.

Noting in the linked articles says anything about the mother being illegal. Haven't seen it on any other article I've read and nothing on search engines coming up either. Curious where you saw this.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Drive By's?

I'd say the best would be to assume nothing. If we are assuming we have to ask ourselves why, and I don't think anyone wants to admit to those reasons.

Timeline
1 minute ago, bcking said:

Drive By's?

I'd say the best would be to assume nothing. If we are assuming we have to ask ourselves why, and I don't think anyone wants to admit to those reasons.

Not sure how the media works in that State, I know how it does where I am.

So on the subject of assumptions what does this comment mean: 

This article states the dad owns a business in Guatemala.

11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So on the subject of assumptions what does this comment mean: 

Um...exactly what it says? Is there a word in the sentence you don't understand?

"In his visa application, Aguilar stated that he owned a business in Guatemala and had no intentions of staying in the United States after the funeral, Salem said. But embassy officials denied his request because he had a low bank balance, she said."

- From the article I linked.