DJClaire

K1 Medical and history of depression! Advice welcome!

15 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am a May 2018 filer with my NOA 2, just awaiting my NVC case number.  I hope to schedule my medical and interview in London in January/early February.

I need some sound advice for the medical, which is the part of this process I am most nervous about! I have just been to my local doctors and they have printed off a four page Patient Summary for me. It looks perfect and has nothing untoward on it. It goes back as far as 1999 (I was born in 1977) and includes immunisations, smear tests, a back X Ray from years ago, a full blood count from 2016 and a couple of X Rays. Is this the correct report that I need for the medical in London? The top of the sheet says Report Path: Local Record.  I need to make sure this is adequate as it does not have any reference to my mental health, as I have been treated for depression seven years ago.

I have all my immunisations in place for the AOS, which is a mix of scanned paper records and a print out from my GP.

I have downloaded and read through the medical questionnaire and I am unsure of how to answer some of the questions.  I appreciate that honesty is the best policy but with my patient summary sheet looking so normal, I loathe to muddy the water and complicate the process.  Has anyone declared depression? Hospitalisation? And what about drugs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated by people who have gone through this process in similar circumstances. PM me if you can help me in private. 

Many thanks in advance.

event.png

K1

NOA1: May 10th 2018

NOA2: October 30th 2018

NVC Received: November 30th 2018

Embassy Received: December 27th 2018

Medical: January 14th 2019

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Visa in Hand: February 1st 2019

AOS / EAD / AP + OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS (WHICH MAY BE USEFUL TO KNOW)

POE: New York (JFK) February 6th 2019

SSN: Applied in SS Office on February 7th (New Haven)

Wedding: February 14th ❤

SSN Card received: February 20th

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Attended 8 hour driver safety course (CT): February 23rd

AOS / AP / EAD sent: March 7th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD received: March 9th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD payment taken: March 25th, 2019

Driving Road Test: March 29th, 2019 (Passed)

NOA1: All received by mail: April 2nd, 2019

Biometrics Appointment: April 19th, 2019 (Hartford, CT) - Good Friday

Telephone Request to Expedite I-131: May 31st, 2019 (Financial Loss)

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

Telephone Request to Expedite I-765: July 2nd, 2019

CARD IN PRODUCTION - YIPPPPEEEEEE July 3rd, 2019. Hallelujah! lol

EAD/AP Combo card received: July 8th, 2019.

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Greencard Received: December 12, 2019

FROM K1 NOA1 to GREEN CARD IN HAND: 581 DAYS (1 YEAR, 7 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS).

Here we go again on the crazy USCIS train! 

I751 Application filed 6th September, 2021

24 month extension letter received

N400 Application filed online 6th September, 2022

28th February, 2023 : 48 month extension letter received

13th March: N400 updated to 'Interview was Scheduled'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi, I'm not going through the London embassy so I can't comment on whether you have the correct summary. However, I've read about people from London getting their doctor to write a letter to provide information that you have had depression, when it was, how you were treated for it, and that you're not a harm to yourself or others, nor are you likely to be in the future. I don't know if it's required.

Sorry I can't provide a better answer than this, hopefully someone from London can :).

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

Just now, Ethan & Shannon said:

Hi, I'm not going through the London embassy so I can't comment on whether you have the correct summary. However, I've read about people from London getting their doctor to write a letter to provide information that you have had depression, when it was, how you were treated for it, and that you're not a harm to yourself or others, nor are you likely to be in the future. I don't know if it's required.

Sorry I can't provide a better answer than this, hopefully someone from London can :).

Thank you, I will be requesting this from my GP this week. 

event.png

K1

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

There are a number of threads in the UK FORUM which discuss this topic from pre-nerves to preparation to exam experiences and are specific to your clinic in London. Start going through posts.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Request a full medical report; the summary may not be enough in your case. Get your hands on any and all records possible from anywhere possible. Start getting the documentation now. Don't wait and don't believe anyone who tells you that the summary will be enough. Every case is unique and the more documentation you have the better. If you can get a GP to write a letter stating that you are "no harm to self or others" that seems to be the recurring theme of what they want. However, we weren't able to get a GP to sign off on anything, basically just wrote "no comment" and that coupled with 26 pages of documents and an addendum we wrote ourselves was sufficient. However, we had to wait an additional 5 weeks because we didn't realize that Knightsbridge would request additional info based on the summary and the GP office was slow as molasses. We wish we would have started getting all previous medical records much sooner.

FYI: The Visa Medicals consent form they give you when they request more info from your GP states:

-"You can ask the doctor to change any part of the report you consider to be inaccurate or misleading."

-"If the doctor declines to change the report, you can attach a written statement giving your views on its contents."

Best of luck to you.

Feb 1 - Original I-129F Petition Filed

Feb 9 - NOA1

Aug 27 - NOA2

Sept 10 - NVC Case Created

Sept 12 - NVC Case Number Received

Sept 18 - DS-160 Completed

Sept 21 - NVC Case In Transit

Sept 24 - NVC Case Ready to Schedule Interview

Oct 2 - Knightsbridge London Medical Appointment [Medical summary insufficient--Letter requesting additional information from GP received]

Oct 3 - Gave Knightsbridge Letter to GP

Oct 10 - Embassy Interview

Oct 11 - CEAC Case in Administrative Processing

Oct 3- Nov 5 - Pending Additional Medical Information from GP

Nov 9 - Knightsbridge Recieved GP Letter & Additional Info

Nov 15 - Knightsbridge Sent Medical Results to Embassy

Nov 19 - Case Updated in CEAC - Administrative Processing

Nov 20 - Nonimmigrant Visa Application Created - Administrative Processing

Nov 21 - Issued in CEAC

Nov 25 - Plane tickets purchased for Nov 28

Nov 26 - Tracking info from DX Group (Received at 11am BST) [Packet to be delivered next day]

Nov 27 - Visa & Packet Received via DX Group Courier (Delivered at 2:13 BST)

Nov 28 - Point of Entry (Flight to Houston)

??? - Married

9 minutes ago, KristenJ said:

Request a full medical report; the summary may not be enough in your case. Get your hands on any and all records possible from anywhere possible. Start getting the documentation now. Don't wait and don't believe anyone who tells you that the summary will be enough. Every case is unique and the more documentation you have the better. If you can get a GP to write a letter stating that you are "no harm to self or others" that seems to be the recurring theme of what they want. However, we weren't able to get a GP to sign off on anything, basically just wrote "no comment" and that coupled with 26 pages of documents and an addendum we wrote ourselves was sufficient. However, we had to wait an additional 5 weeks because we didn't realize that Knightsbridge would request additional info based on the summary and the GP office was slow as molasses. We wish we would have started getting all previous medical records much sooner.

FYI: The Visa Medicals consent form they give you when they request more info from your GP states:

-"You can ask the doctor to change any part of the report you consider to be inaccurate or misleading."

-"If the doctor declines to change the report, you can attach a written statement giving your views on its contents."

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for this, it is very helpful. I will request the full medical notes and arrange an appointment to pop in and ask for the all important letter. Much appreciated. 

Out of curiosity, did you have to pay the additional £350 and have a full psych eval?

event.png

K1

Timeline

No, we weren't aware of any £350 psych evaluation. We did have to pay £60 to get the full medical records and a letter from the GP though. From the records, I believe the full story was clear to Knightsbridge, even though the GP's letter was completely unhelpful.  My fiancee actually has never met that GP and it seemed that he didn't even look at the 26 pages of records, calling the information he had "scanty" which would have been laughable if it weren't so infuriating. Best advice I can give is get your hands of any and all documentation asap.

Feb 9 - NOA1

Aug 27 - NOA2

Oct 2 - Knightsbridge London Medical Appointment [Medical summary insufficient--Letter requesting additional information from GP received]

Nov 21 - Issued in CEAC

Nov 26 - Tracking info from DX Group (Received at 11am BST) [Packet to be delivered next day]

??? - Married

4 minutes ago, KristenJ said:

No, we weren't aware of any £350 psych evaluation. We did have to pay £60 to get the full medical records and a letter from the GP though. From the records, I believe the full story was clear to Knightsbridge, even though the GP's letter was completely unhelpful.  My fiancee actually has never met that GP and it seemed that he didn't even look at the 26 pages of records, calling the information he had "scanty" which would have been laughable if it weren't so infuriating. Best advice I can give is get your hands of any and all documentation asap.

Thank you so much for this information. So to be clear, you took your FULL medical records and a letter and they were still not able to pass your medical on the day?  I have just contacted three different service providers and I will pay for the full notes from each one. I suspect it will be more than 26 pages somehow!

event.png

K1

Timeline

When we went to Knightsbridge on Oct 2nd, we only had the summary. They said this wasn't enough and gave us another letter to pass to the GP. We did that On Oct 3rd, paid £60 for full medical reports and a letter from the GP but didn't receive the info back til Nov 5th. We rang up many times throughout that period but the GP didn't write the letter til Nov 2nd. We received that letter back with additional letters and reports amounting to 26 pages. That is what was sent back to Knightsbridge and was approved and sent to the embassy on Nov 15th. All this waiting around and ringing up and wasting time when we could have just requested all documentation beforehand. Unfortunately, we took some bad advice over the phone that "the summary should be good enough." It was not. I think you're doing the best thing you can do by getting all your records from your various service providers. It should paint a full picture of your history and you can use it to present your case from your perspective; you're more than a diagnosis typed on a page. We put together a 2-page summary ourselves using quotes from reports and letters which portrayed the reality of the situation and history. I hope this helps. In the end, you and your fiance are your own best advocates, as medical providers don't have the time or energy to devote to ensuring that your case moves forward. Best of luck again and let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer.

Feb 9 - NOA1

Aug 27 - NOA2

Nov 21 - Issued in CEAC

??? - Married

8 hours ago, KristenJ said:

When we went to Knightsbridge on Oct 2nd, we only had the summary. They said this wasn't enough and gave us another letter to pass to the GP. We did that On Oct 3rd, paid £60 for full medical reports and a letter from the GP but didn't receive the info back til Nov 5th. We rang up many times throughout that period but the GP didn't write the letter til Nov 2nd. We received that letter back with additional letters and reports amounting to 26 pages. That is what was sent back to Knightsbridge and was approved and sent to the embassy on Nov 15th. All this waiting around and ringing up and wasting time when we could have just requested all documentation beforehand. Unfortunately, we took some bad advice over the phone that "the summary should be good enough." It was not. I think you're doing the best thing you can do by getting all your records from your various service providers. It should paint a full picture of your history and you can use it to present your case from your perspective; you're more than a diagnosis typed on a page. We put together a 2-page summary ourselves using quotes from reports and letters which portrayed the reality of the situation and history. I hope this helps. In the end, you and your fiance are your own best advocates, as medical providers don't have the time or energy to devote to ensuring that your case moves forward. Best of luck again and let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer.

This is super helpful. I will PM you now. 

event.png

K1

My husband had his medical at Knightsbridge for the K-1 (Hes now a GC holder here). I would make sure you have the full medical report and not just a summary. My husband brought the full medical report and had no issues. He also had depression in his past and opted for the psych eval because his GP was not willing to write an in depth letter stating he was fine (not because he didn’t believe he was fine but because he literally couldn’t get an appointment with the GP to have it done!! 😡) so the GP just referred us for the psych eval and my husband was able to get an appointment much quicker.

the doctor at the eval was fantastic and wrote a 5 page letter about how my husband is fine. The most important thing though to have them write is that YOU ARE NOT A DANGER TO YOURSELF OR OTHERS. 

When my husband had the medical at Knightsbridge they were extremely impressed with the psych eval letter. I think more so then they would have been with just a little note from the GP. I saw someone on here say their GP wrote a 3 sentence note and that that was not enough for the Knightsbridge Doctors. 

Overall I find it best to be Over prepared. It was worth the £350 in my opinion for us to have a smooth ride through the medical process. Just make sure you do not lie or with hold info. There may not be anything stating you had depression on your medical summary but if their is any record of medication on their for depression you might get some questions. It’s just not worth the setback to lie. Good luck! pm me if you ever need to!!

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

It's not uncommon for an GP to refuse to write those types of words. That's a medical evaluation for which they have not conducted tests and/or are not qualified to evaluate. It's like asking the GP to perform a liver resection...it would be inappropriate for them to do so (and be an improper practice of medicine too). The psych eval doctor is qualified to make that evaluation, though.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

On 11/23/2018 at 12:00 PM, K & R said:

My husband had his medical at Knightsbridge for the K-1 (Hes now a GC holder here). I would make sure you have the full medical report and not just a summary. My husband brought the full medical report and had no issues. He also had depression in his past and opted for the psych eval because his GP was not willing to write an in depth letter stating he was fine (not because he didn’t believe he was fine but because he literally couldn’t get an appointment with the GP to have it done!! 😡) so the GP just referred us for the psych eval and my husband was able to get an appointment much quicker.

the doctor at the eval was fantastic and wrote a 5 page letter about how my husband is fine. The most important thing though to have them write is that YOU ARE NOT A DANGER TO YOURSELF OR OTHERS. 

When my husband had the medical at Knightsbridge they were extremely impressed with the psych eval letter. I think more so then they would have been with just a little note from the GP. I saw someone on here say their GP wrote a 3 sentence note and that that was not enough for the Knightsbridge Doctors. 

Overall I find it best to be Over prepared. It was worth the £350 in my opinion for us to have a smooth ride through the medical process. Just make sure you do not lie or with hold info. There may not be anything stating you had depression on your medical summary but if their is any record of medication on their for depression you might get some questions. It’s just not worth the setback to lie. Good luck! pm me if you ever need to!!

This is again really helpful.

i have full medical notes and my GP receptionist is trying to get my letter to include those magic words.

Can I ask where and how you booked the eval? I’m happy to pay and do this prior to the medical itself for ease but how do I know it’s an acceptable report for the Knightsbridge doc? 

event.png

K1

2 hours ago, DJClaire said:

This is again really helpful.

i have full medical notes and my GP receptionist is trying to get my letter to include those magic words.

Can I ask where and how you booked the eval? I’m happy to pay and do this prior to the medical itself for ease but how do I know it’s an acceptable report for the Knightsbridge doc? 

Hey! I’m glad this was helpful! My husband had his eval with Doctor Andreas Schenk in Bournemouth. He was really great and since he did this for my husband he will be familiar with it and what’s needed for Knightsbridge. All my husband needed was for his GP to refer him  and then he called Dr Shenk’s office to make an appointment. The appointment took about an hour and then he had the letter via email a few days later. The doctor also mailed the original copy of the signed letter and that’s what we took to the medical at Knightsbridge. The Knightsbridge doctors were more than satisfied with the five page eval. They still asked my husband some questions but they didn’t ask for anything more of him and like I said his interview at the consulate went smoothly and he was approved with no issues. 

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

17 hours ago, K & R said:

Hey! I’m glad this was helpful! My husband had his eval with Doctor Andreas Schenk in Bournemouth. He was really great and since he did this for my husband he will be familiar with it and what’s needed for Knightsbridge. All my husband needed was for his GP to refer him  and then he called Dr Shenk’s office to make an appointment. The appointment took about an hour and then he had the letter via email a few days later. The doctor also mailed the original copy of the signed letter and that’s what we took to the medical at Knightsbridge. The Knightsbridge doctors were more than satisfied with the five page eval. They still asked my husband some questions but they didn’t ask for anything more of him and like I said his interview at the consulate went smoothly and he was approved with no issues. 

No way! Small world! I am from Bournemouth too!

event.png

K1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.