Nicole&Ilyess

Still waiting on Social Security card

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

My husband applied for a social security card almost 4 weeks ago, he is here in the United States on a K1 Visa. The paper they gave us said it can take up to 4 weeks for him to get the card. We went into the office yesterday, just to see if they could tell us if there was an issue or if it was already mailed, just anything. The woman just gave a blank stare and said, wait the 4 weeks then come back. It would be 4 weeks in 2 days so I don't know why they couldn't just look for us. Then she said we have no way of telling if one was initiated or sent out. Why would there be a reference number on the letter and no way of knowing? I feel like they just didn't want to help us. Has anyone experienced this?

On 11/17/2018 at 1:20 PM, Nicole&Ilyess said:

My husband applied for a social security card almost 4 weeks ago, he is here in the United States on a K1 Visa. The paper they gave us said it can take up to 4 weeks for him to get the card. We went into the office yesterday, just to see if they could tell us if there was an issue or if it was already mailed, just anything. The woman just gave a blank stare and said, wait the 4 weeks then come back. It would be 4 weeks in 2 days so I don't know why they couldn't just look for us. Then she said we have no way of telling if one was initiated or sent out. Why would there be a reference number on the letter and no way of knowing? I feel like they just didn't want to help us. Has anyone experienced this?

Most likely your husband name was not in the system  (SAVE) when you guys applied, if that is the case, SSA office will have to validate his records with Homeland which may take few weeks..nothing to worry about, they will eventually confirm his status as K1 visa holder.

I went to the SSA office last week to my apply, my record was not the system then, I asked them to not process my form, I check the SAVE database this morning and it returns my information, so I will try to apply later today. I hope this help. Here is the SAVE site for reference:  https://save.uscis.gov/casecheck/SearchResultList.aspx

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

We went today and the woman told us our application never went through the system because it was denied. We didn't get a letter from them saying it was denied. She deleted it from the system and tried reapplying. She said no sorry it says your information doesn't match up with immigration we can't send it through. She told us to contact immigration. Then she said when you applied you weren't married, now your married and your status changed so you can't apply. I'm like what? We just sent our AOS application today so my husband should still be considered K1 right? Maybe we should apply again at another office?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I’m in the same situation as you. Applied for a SSN a couple of weeks after entering the States, got told my name doesn’t match up in the system so it needs to get sent away to be verified which can take four weeks. Went back after four weeks and got told the same thing, that it would take a further four weeks. 

Went back yesterday and got told that my visa had now expired (I’m on a K1 and married now) and that I have to go to immigration so they can restamp my passport? 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
On 11/20/2018 at 11:57 AM, aminkowz said:

Most likely your husband name was not in the system  (SAVE) when you guys applied, if that is the case, SSA office will have to validate his records with Homeland which may take few weeks..nothing to worry about, they will eventually confirm his status as K1 visa holder.

I went to the SSA office last week to my apply, my record was not the system then, I asked them to not process my form, I check the SAVE database this morning and it returns my information, so I will try to apply later today. I hope this help. Here is the SAVE site for reference:  https://save.uscis.gov/casecheck/SearchResultList.aspx

Thanks for this site.  What do you use to search? The I-94 or passport number or something else?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
11 minutes ago, rebnoe said:

What do you use to search? The I-94 or passport number or something else?

I tried every possibility: I-94, passport number, and alien number.  If I remember correctly, only the I-94 worked in my case. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
10 minutes ago, RLA said:

I tried every possibility: I-94, passport number, and alien number.  If I remember correctly, only the I-94 worked in my case. 

Thank you! 

Did you check this site before going to the SSA office to apply for the SSN, to make sure you’re in the system already? 

Or is it used to check on the status of a pending SSN?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, rebnoe said:

Did you check this site before going to the SSA office to apply for the SSN, to make sure you’re in the system already? 

I don't remember.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to check before you go.  

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily wait until you show up in the system.  If some officer didn't enter your data correctly that might never happen.  You might never show up.  I'd wait at most a week and then go apply anyway.  Worst thing you need to wait a bit longer for your SSN, but at least you've got the ball rolling. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.