kasper-k

Please help I751 pending while filling N400

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new here and and this is my first post. I want to share with you a horrible experience with the immigration office in Boston.

I'm married to a us citizen since 2014. before 3 months of the expiration of my 2 years green card I filed form I751, for proofs I submitted out tax return for the last 3 years, a letter from the bank stated that we have joint account since 2014, proof of health insurance with both our names, and a copy of our both government ID with same address.   since the the process took more than a year and my application was pending, I files N400, to make this short they called me for the citizenship interview and I went this week, when I was in the office, the officer noticed that I have I751 pending and she got mad, she kept saying that you're I751 is pending why you apply for n400, even thought i tried to explain that the process took more than a year and I was eligible for the citizenship but she was not happy,  she took a look at my I751 and she kept saying you have no proof that you and your spouse are living together, you have no house, car nor children's, she called my wife to interview her separately, the first thing she said to her was " I don't believe you!" she kept asking her a million questions while I was waiting in the hallway for an hour ( the longest hour in my whole life) after she finished my wife left the office crying, I didn't know what happened as I was shocked, the officer called me and start asking me questions in a very rude way, I answered her questions but at the end she said that she suspect some fraud and my application could be denied, she refused to let me talk as she kept saying don't talk over me, I felt helpless, she was rushing and wanted me to leave quickly as she have other people waiting, she said you will receive a letter in the mail, and refused to talk to me after that. me and my wife we left the building devastated and didn't know what to do, we really did nothing wrong, I called an immigration lawyer immediately and took an appointment for next week. if anyone had a similar experience please share it with me, I'm really scared and I don't know what will happen next. please help.... :( 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your experience does not sound normal. Even if the IO suspects fraud, their approach was not standard operating procedure. Everyone in the USCIS should be very aware that the long pendency times on i751's means many applicants are filing n400's before the i751's are completed. When you speak with an attorney ask them if they have specifically dealt with the Boston office. Perhaps they have some direct experience with supervisors there and they can use a past relationship to better understand what happened with your particular IO.

Question, did this IO take you through the N400 interview, that is, did they ask you the 6 to 10 civics questions and test your knowledge of English?

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

19 minutes ago, kasper-k said:

@Russ&Caro I'm till shocked about what happen to be honest, when I spoke to the lawyer on the phone she said to wait for the letter to see what they say,  for the N400 the officer canceled my appointment and didn't ask me any  civics questions. 

Reach out to the ombudsman and contact your senator and/or congressperson as well. This is totally abnormal. LOTS people file N400 with a pending I751. It is perfectly fine. Lots of people get a joint interview but some people do not. It doesn't really matter though. It does not say anywhere that you are not allowed to file N400 with a pending I751. You ARE allowed. That IO was just terrible at her job and clearly didn't know anything. It's not your fault.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
55 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Reach out to the ombudsman and contact your senator and/or congressperson as well. This is totally abnormal. LOTS people file N400 with a pending I751. It is perfectly fine. Lots of people get a joint interview but some people do not. It doesn't really matter though. It does not say anywhere that you are not allowed to file N400 with a pending I751. You ARE allowed. That IO was just terrible at her job and clearly didn't know anything. It's not your fault.

Agreed. He too filed for the N-400 while the wait for the I-751 (took 15 months). Either the Officer was completely incompetent or had a 'personal issue' going on. Either way she is completely WRONG!! 

1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Thank you, are they able to help with immigration issues or cases like this ? all what I want is my file to be reviewed again by another officer 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, kasper-k said:

Thank you, are they able to help with immigration issues or cases like this ? all what I want is my file to be reviewed again by another officer 

Did you find out the outcome of that 'interview'?

11 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Agreed. He too filed for the N-400 while the wait for the I-751 (took 15 months). Either the Officer was completely incompetent or had a 'personal issue' going on. Either way she is completely WRONG!! 

she didn't even review my file and refused to let me talk and explain anything 

15 minutes ago, kasper-k said:

Yes the ombudsman is an official channel of communication for applicants to USCIS. Senators and congresspeople also have a little more power when making inquiries about immigration cases. I would email all of them and then talk over the phone to explain firsthand how awful your interview was.

2 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Did you find out the outcome of that 'interview'?

she just said that I will receive a letter with denial because she didn't believe us, she said that I only submitted the tax return and it's not enough, I keep telling her that I also have the letter from the bank and health insurance and proof of respondent but she refused to listen to me.  

Timeline
3 minutes ago, kasper-k said:

she just said that I will receive a letter with denial because she didn't believe us, she said that I only submitted the tax return and it's not enough, I keep telling her that I also have the letter from the bank and health insurance and proof of respondent but she refused to listen to me.  

Really odd because her decision goes through a quality review. (Not sure if this aspect is new?). I just came from a N-400 interview. The Officer gave me a paper saying will recommend for approval but has to go to his QC team for approval. Five minutes later the approval was affirmed. This to say, their QC team should be doing their work and either cancel her decision and call you back in or affirm. What was the outcome?

13 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Really odd because her decision goes through a quality review. (Not sure if this aspect is new?). I just came from a N-400 interview. The Officer gave me a paper saying will recommend for approval but has to go to his QC team for approval. Five minutes later the approval was affirmed. This to say, their QC team should be doing their work and either cancel her decision and call you back in or affirm. What was the outcome?

I think it's  different in my case, my interview was this week and she only told me that they will send me a letter by mail soon and nothing further, she kept saying my application is not even close to be approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.