Jump to content
ChadTaljaardt

CR-1 Visa embassy questions

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I had my interview today, there was a few things I wasn’t expecting and I’m wondering if anyone else had this experience.

 

  1. My medical results from Knightsbridge hadn’t arrived, they said that this can sometimes happen. Do I need to be concerned or do anything regarding this?
     
  2. They awarded my visa but said it depends on the medical results, but then they kept my passport as they said they needed it for the visa. I flew down and as a result, if I didn’t have my drivers licence I’m not sure what identification I could have given to fly back. Has anyone else experienced this? I was quite nervous to return without my passport. Might be worth putting a note if this happens often so people are aware of it.

 

 

Other than these things, the visa process at the embassy was great, very professional and organised.

 

Edited by ChadTaljaardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ChadTaljaardt said:

My medical results from Knightsbridge hadn’t arrived, they said that this can sometimes happen. Do I need to be concerned or do anything regarding this?

 

No. you are "paused" until they see you are clear on medical requirements. They won't get back to your case the minute the results arrive, but it shouldn't be more than a few days. 

 

30 minutes ago, ChadTaljaardt said:

They awarded my visa but said it depends on the medical results, but then they kept my passport as they said they needed it for the visa. I flew down and as a result, if I didn’t have my drivers licence I’m not sure what identification I could have given to fly back. Has anyone else experienced this? I was quite nervous to return without my passport. Might be worth putting a note if this happens often so people are aware of it.

Your visa will not be "awarded" until they have everything. But pending medical, everything else looks like an approval by the officer. In the days before some UK airlines allowed driver licences, people did not leave their passport at the embassy. They returned home, then sent the passport via courier to the embassy to get the visa put inside.  People do the same thing when they have an urgent business trip abroad and need the passport. They send it in after their trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ChadTaljaardt said:

They awarded my visa but said it depends on the medical results, but then they kept my passport as they said they needed it for the visa. I flew down and as a result, if I didn’t have my drivers licence I’m not sure what identification I could have given to fly back. Has anyone else experienced this? I was quite nervous to return without my passport. Might be worth putting a note if this happens often so people are aware of it.

 

 

 

Yes, they always keep your passport to put the visa in. Even without complications with the medical such as you had, no-one gets given their passport with visa back at the interview. (For any US visa, even tourist.) I’m not sure what you mean by “making a note” as this is usually clear. For example, the official info page on immigrant visas notes that for visa approval, “you will be informed how and when your passport and visa will be returned to you”, which should make it clear that it doesn’t get given back immediately.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/after-the-interview.html Also most embassies require some kind of courier registration to get your passport back, as does London, again it should have been clear it would be sent some time after the interview https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/employment/registering-courier-service/ 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChadTaljaardt said:

Hello,

 

I had my interview today, there was a few things I wasn’t expecting and I’m wondering if anyone else had this experience.

 

  1. My medical results from Knightsbridge hadn’t arrived, they said that this can sometimes happen. Do I need to be concerned or do anything regarding this?
     
  2. They awarded my visa but said it depends on the medical results, but then they kept my passport as they said they needed it for the visa. I flew down and as a result, if I didn’t have my drivers licence I’m not sure what identification I could have given to fly back. Has anyone else experienced this? I was quite nervous to return without my passport. Might be worth putting a note if this happens often so people are aware of it.

 

 

Other than these things, the visa process at the embassy was great, very professional and organised.

 

We were a K-1 visa but we had our medical at Knightsbridge

 

1. How many days in between your medical and interview did you give (they recommend 5 business days). We waited exactly 5 business days and were told the same thing. Our case status updated the next day. We had our visa a week and a half later if I remember right. It's taking knightsbridge more like 7-8 business days to send the medical over.

 

2. Yeah they told us the same thing. They can't confirm without looking at your medical results. They have to keep your passport for your visa there's no other way it will be put in it. Passports being taken at interview always happens. It should return by courier in a few weeks. If your visa was denied for some reason they would send your passport back too. 


K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

 

 

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×