dannosaur

Concerns over medical

8 posts in this topic

I booked my medical for November 26th. I got the email from them saying that they required a patient summary/care record, so after battling with my GP's office to figure out what that is, they presented me with a piece of paper that has basically nothing on it (health wise I'm an incredibly boring individual) except some past information about hayfever and my last 3 consultations.

However, there's one thing that concerns me about it, and the future of this application, to which I've read conflicting information on here about, and now I'm just trying to figure out exactly what the consequences of this might be.

3 and a half years ago, my bad-influence ex got me to try smoking weed. She used it for pain management, and somehow managed to convince me to try it. I've always been against having illegal drugs anywhere near me, but I was drinking that night so I guess I thought why not. Of course, I didn't react very well to it. One puff later, my head's going crazy and I end up blacking out. I have little memory of what happened before/after. Concerned for me, she calls an ambulance and I'm taken to the ER. So now, of course, this event is engrained in my medical history, and thus appears in my consultation records. And they ask about past drug use.

I want to strongly point out here that I am NOT a drug user, never have (except that one time), and never will. And knowing about the sort of reaction I have with this substance, it's not something I ever want to experience again.

My natural response to the drug use question was "no", having actually forgotten about that event until I read my medical records. I can't answer no truthfully anymore, and with them wanting patient summary, and that event appearing in them, there's literally no way to say no to this (not that I'd want to be lying on this anyway, I know it'll hurt the application potentially to an extent of it being refused, and harder if not impossible to try again).

I've read various people's statements ranging from "one year ban regardless how long ago it was", to "admission of one puff many years ago will get passed over", but I'm trying to figure out by creating a more recent post about this, what EXACTLY is the experience/outcome here? Has anyone been in the same situation? Were you banned (and if so, what exactly were you banned from), or was your single-use admission passed over?

Help?

Dan

Hi Dan, It definitely is tricky. As you know the US doesn't  go easy on drug users. 

The truth is no one on here will tell you what the outcome will be. It probably dosent have any bearing on the outcome but how old were you when it happened? Were you a juvenile?

The history on the forum shows people receive a 1 years ban for confirming drug use at medical. The visa will be refused on medical grounds and you will have to have a drug test and a medical a year later. 

I hope someone chimes in here with more experience. 

What everyone will say to you is be honest. Don't lie. Lying could make it even worse. 

It was only 3.5 years ago, I'd not long turned 30. I can't use the excuse young and stupid, it was just plain stupid. And I know this. I have every intentions of being honest here, but at the same time I'm trying to manage my expectations, and go in prepared with anything I can to prove that this was just a dumb decision that I've no intention of (nor have since) repeating.

But again, a ban from what exactly? Going there at all? Does that mean that visiting is out of the question during this period? Others I've seen mention 1 year from date of last use, which in this case was 2015, so that's already been and gone.

I don't think anyone can say for sure what will happen here for you but I agree - DO NOT LIE.   I was worried about this for my husband.   Pot is legal in The Netherlands and 15 years ago he had a single "space muffin".  He admitted to it in his interview and no ban. He sailed through.  But I've seen others from Jamaica and other countries that have had bans.   This may be dependent on the country, legality, whether they believe you are being entirely truthful and whomever is making the decision for you.  

All I can say is be prepared for the worst, hope for the best and don't lie as that will make it far worse.  Good luck!  

1 hour ago, mtempelaar said:

15 years ago he had a single "space muffin". 

I've been doing a bit of reading on this and it seems to be 5 years. 

If the drug was taken within 5 years of the medical its a issue. I maybe wrong though 

Filed: Timeline

lol- not sure where you got the idea of 5yrs?? The question is have you EVER- and they mean literally EVER. So you have to answer yes. You will get the 1 yr mandatory ban. Basically you are denied because you admitted you used drugs- they have to determine that you are in 'remission' and NOT an active drug user and the way they do this is by giving you 1yr in which they will randomly drug test you and then re-evaluate you when the year is up to see that you are stable. 

Heres a thread where someone in the UK was able to avoid the 1yr ban by getting the Dr to not rule them denied/inadmissible (thereby causing the min 1yr ban) instead the Dr 'deferred' making a decision for 3 months (in which they took drug tests) and then after the 3 months they approved them. This is NOT common practice and you should not expect this to happen but it might. 

here is the current CDC info- if you click the link in that thread it will redirect you to the current link here-https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/mental-panel-technical-instructions.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Used to be a 3 year ban, not sure where you saw 5?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...

For the record; my medical was 2 weeks ago, and my interview was today. Turns out, it wasn't a problem. The doctor said that based on what I told him, and a clear drug screen, he wouldn't have seen any issues with this affecting the application.

He was right. I got approved today.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.