Jump to content
Diamondgeezer

Healthcare for GC Holder

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello

 

something came up in conversation today and it got me wondering........ if a GC holder has a US citizen spouse who is on disability is that GC holder entitled to any healthcare benefits also under that same diability plan? regarding healthcare insurance?  or would they be subject to the same order as other GC holders? at a loss with this one

 

general ideas welcome thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nooooooo.lol.

Disability is given by social security admin. After getting disability for one year the USC can get medicare. SSA will deduct premiums from the disability for this. The medicare is ONLY for the disabled USC. Their spouse or children will have to have their own insurance regardless if they are USC or LPR. Only elderly and disabled can get Medicare.  Its NOT a family plan.

There is another program called Medicaid. That is for low income people. LPRs are generally not able to get Medicaid for the first 5 yrs they are LPRs because Medicaid is funded by federal funds which prevent them from being used by LPRs for the first 5yrs. However some states use state money to fund their medicaid programs and allow LPRs to qualify- Confused enough?? :)

 


Yes, often I seem like I consider myself the sheriff of VJ riding around a high horse, but I assure you I make plenty of mistakes and are grateful to those who correct me, and yes I know the TOS does not require you to actually read before replying. But VJ forums contents are generated by its users and if we as users want it to remain to be a source of credible, verifiable information, and advice -its up to us to keep it that way by taking care to read and reply carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Damara said:

Nooooooo.lol.

Disability is given by social security admin. After getting disability for one year the USC can get medicare. SSA will deduct premiums from the disability for this. The medicare is ONLY for the disabled USC. Their spouse or children will have to have their own insurance regardless if they are USC or LPR. Only elderly and disabled can get Medicare.  Its NOT a family plan.

There is another program called Medicaid. That is for low income people. LPRs are generally not able to get Medicaid for the first 5 yrs they are LPRs because Medicaid is funded by federal funds which prevent them from being used by LPRs for the first 5yrs. However some states use state money to fund their medicaid programs and allow LPRs to qualify- Confused enough?? :)

 

Thank you for the information very informative. My pal wants to get some private healthcare going. As a new GC holder he has been given quotes around $200  a month plus $5000 deductible? Does that even seem reasonsble? 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google says-Average premiums and deductibles nationwide for unsubsidized shoppers: Premiums for individual coverage averaged $440 per month while premiums for family plans averaged $1,168 per month.

 

Employment based ins-  Avg annual employee premium in AZ employer-sponsored plan (after employer contribution): $1,283. Avg AZ hospital cost per inpatient day (before insurance)$2,485.


Yes, often I seem like I consider myself the sheriff of VJ riding around a high horse, but I assure you I make plenty of mistakes and are grateful to those who correct me, and yes I know the TOS does not require you to actually read before replying. But VJ forums contents are generated by its users and if we as users want it to remain to be a source of credible, verifiable information, and advice -its up to us to keep it that way by taking care to read and reply carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Diamondgeezer said:

Thank you for the information very informative. My pal wants to get some private healthcare going. As a new GC holder he has been given quotes around $200  a month plus $5000 deductible? Does that even seem reasonsble? 🤷‍♂️

I see that insurance plan as more catastrophic coverage due to the high deductible. He should check around for better deals if he can. Having to not only fork over $200 a month, and on top of it pay $5k out of your pocket before they start covering does not sit well with me. Is there a co pay or coinsurance on top of that plan?

 

I've been extremely lucky to get coverage through my employer and will be switching plan next year. It going to cost me a little over $100/month and the individual deductible is $125/family is $375 along with 15% coinsurance. One of my staff complains that the insurance option we have sucks, but they don't realize how expense it really could cost them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Damara said:

Google says-Average premiums and deductibles nationwide for unsubsidized shoppers: Premiums for individual coverage averaged $440 per month while premiums for family plans averaged $1,168 per month.

 

Employment based ins-  Avg annual employee premium in AZ employer-sponsored plan (after employer contribution): $1,283. Avg AZ hospital cost per inpatient day (before insurance)$2,485.

Yes i am one of those people who googles everything until i actually need too lol, thank you so much for your input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Umka36 said:

I see that insurance plan as more catastrophic coverage due to the high deductible. He should check around for better deals if he can. Having to not only fork over $200 a month, and on top of it pay $5k out of your pocket before they start covering does not sit well with me. Is there a co pay or coinsurance on top of that plan?

 

I've been extremely lucky to get coverage through my employer and will be switching plan next year. It going to cost me a little over $100/month and the individual deductible is $125/family is $375 along with 15% coinsurance. One of my staff complains that the insurance option we have sucks, but they don't realize how expense it really could cost them.

it does  come with a co-insurance no, thank you for your input, i agree with you that policy is almost a contradiction in terms... so you pay $200 to join the club and then pay $5000 to stay in the club, logic doesnt even seem right with that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Diamondgeezer said:

Thank you for the information very informative. My pal wants to get some private healthcare going. As a new GC holder he has been given quotes around $200  a month plus $5000 deductible? Does that even seem reasonsble? 🤷‍♂️

I have work based insurance for family I pay $235 twice monthly with a $4500 deductible, so for unsubsidized to me, that sounds pretty good


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

I have work based insurance for family I pay $235 twice monthly with a $4500 deductible, so for unsubsidized to me, that sounds pretty good

That stinks on the cost vs. benefit that's provided with your work based plan. Guess it's better than nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

That stinks on the cost vs. benefit that's provided with your work based plan. Guess it's better than nothing.

Worse yet I work for an insurance company


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

Worse yet I work for an insurance company

Ouch. I have a colleague whose wife works at an insurance company as well and they ended up getting it at our workplace instead do to the cost/benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×