rrobin0609

Getting a US Drivers Licence after K-1 (Missouri)

4 posts in this topic

My wonderful husband, @JunkTardis, just got his US drivers licence today! He passed with a 98%! I've seen a lot of people inquire about what they need and while I know every state is different, I thought it would be helpful to share what was needed in Missouri.

- I-94

- Passport with K-1

- Social Security Receipt (after applying) OR know your SSN

He only needed his I-94 and passport to sit the tests, and when getting his physical licence they asked for his I-94 and Social Security receipt. You can take the written and practical in the same day. If you can arrive the at the Highway Patrol office around or just after noon. Here in the western part of the state a lot of the high schools get out just after 2pm so everyone whose had a recent birthday is trying to get their permits and licences right after school lets out. They do not allow you to take the test if you arrive after 4:30pm just because there is not enough time. You can take the written test three times in a single day for as many days at it takes to pass. You have to pass it before you can take the practical, but you can stop by your local DMV and grab a copy of the Missouri Department of Revenue Drivers Guide book for free. It has all the answers to any potential questions. My husband advises making sure you really know your road signs. The practical exam you can only take once per day and you can only take it three times total before appealing to the Missouri Department of Revenue explaining to them of why you should be able to take it again.

Depending on which person you're talking to at the DMV after the tests, they may ask for something with your physical address. Most people provide a rent contract or utility bill. My husband took a utility bill just in case, but since everything is slowly being digitized they had it on file for him through the visa information. This will be helpful when talking the the licence person because we just noticed they typed our address wrong. He was there at about 5pm so everyone was in a hurry to leave (he's gonna go get that sorted out tomorrow).

1.jpg

For further information to my fellow UK drivers, do not panic about the US driving test. It's a walk in the park by comparison to our strenuous, stressful and expensive 'learning to drive' experience. I knocked it all out in under 2 hours. Showed up at the DMV for 3:15, had passed my written test by 3:25pm, took my practical at 4:15pm and was back at the DMV by 4:25. The practical test was around 10 minutes. I had to demonstrate the usage of the indicators (blinkers to Americans), wipers, and front de-mister. I then had to demonstrate how I'd pull out of a parking spot normally (Remember to use your handbrake/parking brake). It's then just a quick drive around at slow speed, parallel park between some cones, drive around a neighbourhood and then back to the DMV. You'll then be told your score, and called up to get your paperwork and take it to the licensing office to get your license sorted out. Really straightforward and inexpensive. My total cost was around $10 to pass my test and get my license. When you consider it can cost up to £1000 in total back home it's quite a difference. Good luck to those taking their US tests!  

19 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Does it expire when his legal presence expires (90 days)?

It's set to expire end of February when the 6 month end of Visa date is set to expire (We're married now though and technically due to marrying within 90 days my visa expires in late December). 

On that date or before I simply need to renew the same way as a regular US Citizen would at a cost of $3 to the DMV.

I've either been well prepared or got lucky, but so far it's been a pretty painless experience knocking out tasks one by one with @rrobin0609

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.