JimAndKrish

Age difference / same sex marriage

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi. I would like to begin the k1 visa process. I am 50 and my partner is 25. Big age difference. But our relationship is genuine. We have been corresponding for about a year, by phone or messaging every day. And I have flown from US to India to visit him and his family. 

After visiting a few visa websites, I'm seeing that big age differences between a couple causes the immigration folks to possibly question whether a relationship is bona fide. 

I understand that doubt but our relationship is for real. What are the chances of obtaining a k1 visa

Any supportive comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Any moral judgements

will not be. Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

If that’s a red flag in your country consider going there and getting married and filing CR1 instead. Most couples have better luck with CR1 when there are red flags.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

CR1 is the superior visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Me and my husband also have a big age difference, and this was one of the main reasons we chose to go with CR1, as the research we did seems to show that it is more likely than the K1 to be approved.  Based on other's experiences here on VJ, it is clear that evidence of time spent together is the key to getting approved for a CR1 with a big age gap, so I strongly recommend as many visits as you can do before filing the CR1 petition, then more visits after that during the 7-9 month wait for the petition to be approved so that you can submit evidence of these additional visits at the NVC stage of the process.  Then do some more visits during the NVC stage and while waiting for the visa interview.  Save boarding passes, take photos, submit copies of passport stamps, hotel receipts, anything to show that you spent lots of time together.  We submitted evidence of four visits with the CR1 petition, and we will have evidence of at least four more visits to submit at the NVC stage.  Also, submit lots of evidence of co-mingling of financial resources such as life insurance beneficiary, include your spouse on company health insurance, credit card, income tax return, dental insurance, emergency contact, and beneficiary for retirement accounts and any investment accounts.  Also consider getting a will done naming your younger spouse as beneficiary, and a living will.  The more evidence of a bona fide relationship the better, especially showing time spent together and financial co-mingling.  Also a summary of chat logs, phone calls, video calls, emails, and so forth submitted at both the petition stage and NVC stage helps according to some reports on VJ.  You can do it if you really love each other.  The wait is driving us both crazy, but constant communication and visits as often as you can make it less painful.  All the best to you both as you go through this long journey to finally be able to live together.  True love is worth fighting for, worth waiting for.  There is lots of good advice and emotional support here on VJ.  Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.