ScottAndRinche

Married in Phils, Divorced in US, Wanting to Marry in Phils Again

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I hope somebody can help. I have scoured the web and can't find a good answer.

I married my Filipino wife in the Philippines(2015). We moved to the US and recently got divorced in the US (2018). I have a Filipino fiance, and we want to get married in the Philippines.

My fiance is single and never married, no children. I am legally divorced in the US from my Filipino wife. Here is my question....

I know my ex-wife can't remarry in the Philippines without getting an annulment first, but do I need to file the annulment so I can be married again in the Philippines?

I am a US citizen, so I wouldn't think the annulment requirement applies to me, just my ex.

We want to get married soon, so I would appreciate some input on this.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the PI forum, from k3 - as this question needs country specific answers.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

25 minutes ago, ScottAndRinche said:

Hello, I hope somebody can help. I have scoured the web and can't find a good answer.

I married my Filipino wife in the Philippines(2015). We moved to the US and recently got divorced in the US (2018). I have a Filipino fiance, and we want to get married in the Philippines.

My fiance is single and never married, no children. I am legally divorced in the US from my Filipino wife. Here is my question....

I know my ex-wife can't remarry in the Philippines without getting an annulment first, but do I need to file the annulment so I can be married again in the Philippines?

I am a US citizen, so I wouldn't think the annulment requirement applies to me, just my ex.

Thanks

When we got married in June in the Philippines I needed to provide my CENOMAR.  As a US Citizen I asked the registrar why I needed one and she said that they need to make sure I am not married to another filipina.  My wife was annulled and I had a previous divorce but at least in Pateros, I had to have a CENOMAR.  I would assume that may just be what that registrar does and it may not be the same everywhere.  

If you can show the divorce paperwork the registrar may be able to help you get through.  My one concern is when the new marriage gets sent to PSA for registration there may be a glitch.  We needed the PSA Marriage Certificate in order to file the CR-1.  I hope someone here will have a better answer for you.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
8 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

When we got married in June in the Philippines I needed to provide my CENOMAR.  As a US Citizen I asked the registrar why I needed one and she said that they need to make sure I am not married to another filipina.  My wife was annulled and I had a previous divorce but at least in Pateros, I had to have a CENOMAR.  I would assume that may just be what that registrar does and it may not be the same everywhere.  

If you can show the divorce paperwork the registrar may be able to help you get through.  My one concern is when the new marriage gets sent to PSA for registration there may be a glitch.  We needed the PSA Marriage Certificate in order to file the CR-1.  I hope someone here will have a better answer for you.

When I got married to my first Filipina, I did not file a CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage Record). She had to though. I can't remember, but I may have had to submit my divorce decree from my previous marriage. I have my recent decree I could submit. Maybe you are right that I can submit my divorce papers to the registrar and give that a shot. Was hoping a lawyer had any input.

21 minutes ago, ScottAndRinche said:

When I got married to my first Filipina, I did not file a CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage Record). She had to though. I can't remember, but I may have had to submit my divorce decree from my previous marriage. I have my recent decree I could submit. Maybe you are right that I can submit my divorce papers to the registrar and give that a shot. Was hoping a lawyer had any input.

I know that the US will be fine with all of it but PSA is a different story.  If you make it all the way through the wedding you will still need PSA to issue the marriage certificate.  That may also depend on who you get.  They did question my middle name.  We had to explain that the US does not use the mother's maiden name as a middle name.  That took about a day to straighten out.  That was never questioned until PSA got our paperwork for the marriage certificate.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, ScottAndRinche said:

Thanks

Annulment is not needed by you or your EX, the Philippines does allow for recognition of a foreign divorce as long as one party of the divorce is a foreigner.  Your EX would have to file for recognition of the divorce through the RTC.   You would need a certified (Red Ribbon, done through the consulate representing the where you live) copy of your divorce decree (as a foreigner you can not file for the Recognition)

There was a posting on this recently, I will have to see if I can find it.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Annulment is not needed by you or your EX, the Philippines does allow for recognition of a foreign divorce as long as one party of the divorce is a foreigner.  Your EX would have to file for recognition of the divorce through the RTC.   You would need a certified (Red Ribbon, done through the consulate representing the where you live) copy of your divorce decree (as a foreigner you can not file for the Recognition)

There was a posting on this recently, I will have to see if I can find it.

Wow that's great info! Found this.....

Any legal document issued in the U.S. must first be acknowledged or authenticated (‘consularized’) by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate General in order for that document to have any legal validity in the Philippines. Each “consularized” document will bear the seal of the Consulate General and the signature of the authenticating officer.

The Philippine Consulate General does not assume responsibility for the contents of the document. Examples of these documents are Special Power of Attorney, General Power of Attorney, Affidavit, Certification, Deed of Donation, Deed of Sale, Extra-judicial Settlement of Estate; U.S. Government-issued documents, such as Birth Certificate, Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, etc.; and those issued by private institutions, such as Transcript of Records, Medical Records, Licenses, Certificates of Training, etc.

Please note that certifications are not affixed with a “red ribbon;” it only bears the official gold seal and officer’s signature. Acknowledgements and Authentications will bear the red ribbon, gold seal, and the signature of the administering officer.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The discussion is here:   

This link has the good info:  https://carpiodelacruzlawoffice.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/local-adoption-requirements/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.