Odiegwu

How much is too much information?

22 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, afrocraft said:

Sigh. Here we go again. I had zero visit, and it didn't matter.

Zero visits in Nigeria? Or zero in-person visits (anywhere)?

If the former, visits anywhere are counted fine...visits don't need to be to the beneficairy's country.

If the latter, then the only way would have been a fiance visa with a meeting waiver, which is extraordinarily rare.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

25 minutes ago, afrocraft said:

9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Zero visits in Nigeria? Or zero in-person visits (anywhere)?

If the former, visits anywhere are counted fine...visits don't need to be to the beneficairy's country.

If the latter, then the only way would have been a fiance visa with a meeting waiver, which is extraordinarily rare.

I am confused about this as well. A hard requirement for a K1 is that there is at least one in person meeting.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

7 hours ago, Odiegwu said:

This might seem like a lot, but Nigeria is a tough one, and I’d rather make sure they can clearly see that our marriage is genuine and we’re very involved in each other’s lives from family to friends to food to future planning etc. 

Actually, I think where many Nigerian applicants fail, in part because of the Nigeria-is-a-tough-consulate hysteria, is in presenting a simple, clear, and convincing story line that consular officers can follow. So here's what I did, using just 12 pictures, some tickets/boarding passes, and a few well-selected emails: Begin with a cover letter that tells your story; then select corroborating evidence to support that story line.  I've made up one simplified one below, with the evidence in italics:

Dear Consular Officer,

I am petitioning for XXX immigration benefit for LovelyWifey. Kindly approve. I make the following assertions about my relationship with LovelyWifey:

How we met

I first met LovelyWifey in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, in the summer of 2015 while I was visiting Nigeria on holiday for a family wedding. As most Nigerian weddings, the whole village showed up! LovelyWifey was introduced to me by my best mate, Jonathan, and we hit it off almost immediately. Perhaps it was the way she gracefully danced to the local flute and drums. (See Exhibit 1 for my boarding passes for the 2015 trip and Exhibit 2 for three selected pictures of LovelyWifey, Jonathan and me from the wedding).

How we stayed in touch

After returning to the United States, we kept in touch for the next year mostly by WhatsApp and Facebook. I grew to love her because she was surprisingly an ardent fan of Barcelona FC, fierce rivals of Real Madrid, a soccer club I'd die for, so we frequently argued about Ronaldo vs. Messi. In June 2016 we decided to visit Dubai together, and became romantically involved (Exhibit 3 shows some heated debates we had over WhatsApp, Exhibit 4 shows a snapshot of our Facebook pages filled with our respective club's insignia, and Exhibit 5 has our boarding passes, and Exhibit 6 shows 3 photos from our trip at some of Accra's landmarks).

How we decided to marry

On June 3, 2017,  minutes after Asensio scored in the 90th minute goal of Real's 4-1 drubbing of Juventus in the Champion's League Final, I sent LovelyWifey a picture of me celebrating in Ronaldo's jersey with a note asking her to marry me, and she said yes! (Exhibit 7 shows that fateful Facebook entry). We got married in a quiet court ceremony in Lagos on September 9, 2017 (Exhibit 8 shows our marriage ceremony, Exhibit 9 some selected photos, and Exhibit 10 my boarding passes from the trip.)

Our plans for the future

If her XXX immigration benefit is approved, I am looking forward to LovelyWifey joining me in XXX State, where she plans to be a middle-school soccer coach. We are still arguing about the number of kids -- she wants just 3 and I want 11! -- but we know we'll be great parents and pass on our shared love to our offspring.

Please let me know if you have any questions...

Regards,

BespottenHubby

Edited by afrocraft

12 minutes ago, afrocraft said:

OP is CR1/IR1

Aaahh. Got it. Was jumping in-between different threads and missed that detail of which section this was in.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, afrocraft said:

All of the denials and prolonged APs coming out of Lagos would indicate that yours is a unique experience.

12 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

All of the denials and prolonged APs coming out of Lagos would indicate that yours is a unique experience.

Or that the majority of applications are weak: They fail to establish, through a preponderance of the evidence, that the applicants are more likely than not to deserve the immigration benefit for which they have petitioned.

Edited by afrocraft

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.