barashka

AOS Package Birth Certificate

8 posts in this topic

Hello, guys!

I am currently almost done compiling the Adjustment of Status package for my wife (she came here on a K-1 visa). So, the final thing we are having difficulty with is her birth certificate. She has her Russian birth certificate and I was just glancing over it just now. It is a very old paper (20 years old) and it is very difficult to interpret. It is a handwritten document and the ink has faded greatly. I myself am I Russian speaker myself but, I can't translate something I can't read, aha! Her I-94 expires this Saturday. I was planning on sending this package off tomorrow or Wednesday but, this birth certificate problem was just realized.

If I end up sending the Adjustment of Status package after her I-94 expires, will this be a problem? Also, on the I-485, for Question 24 in Part 1 that asks what your current immigration is, I was planning on putting K-1 visa/Expired I-94 as her answer (if I end up sending the package after her I-94 expires).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sincere Regards.

Edited by barashka

10 minutes ago, barashka said:

Hello, guys!

I am currently almost done compiling the Adjustment of Status package for my wife (she came here on a K-1 visa). So, the final thing we are having difficulty with is her birth certificate. She has her Russian birth certificate and I was just glancing over it just now. It is a very old paper (20 years old) and it is very difficult to interpret. It is a handwritten document and the ink has faded greatly. I myself am I Russian speaker myself but, I can't translate something I can't read, aha! Her I-94 expires this Saturday. I was planning on sending this package off tomorrow or Wednesday but, this birth certificate problem was just realized.

If I end up sending the Adjustment of Status package after her I-94 expires, will this be a problem? Also, on the I-485, for Question 24 in Part 1 that asks what your current immigration is, I was planning on putting K-1 visa/Expired I-94 as her answer (if I end up sending the package after her I-94 expires).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sincere i

I'm deleting this. I was thinking only of the I765 and I131.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

was it used for the K1 application? if so, use it again.

as the other poster said, passport bio page will likely suffice as well.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

4 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

was it used for the K1 application? if so, use it again.

as the other poster said, passport bio page will likely suffice as well.

I am sorry, I didn't understand. She is the beneficiary who came here on a K-1 visa to marry me. She took her birth certificate to the K-1 interview in Moscow. They did not require her birth certificate to be translated since it was in Russian and the interview was conducted in Russian. Now, since we are adjusting status from her K-1 to her conditional Green Card, they require it to be translated into English. I planned to submit her package sometime this week because her I-94 expires this Saturday. The problem is, however, that her birth certificate is not legible. I am bilingual myself and I can certainly translate a Russian document but, like I said, I can't read it her birth certificate. I can't translate something I cannot read. It is a very old document that is handwritten and the ink has faded. It is also very crumbled looking. So, yeah, to get this figured out, I will need more time. Sorry for the confusing post, aha!

Edited by barashka

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, barashka said:

I am sorry, I didn't understand. She is the beneficiary who came here on a K-1 visa to marry me. She took her birth certificate to the K-1

is it to late to ask for another birthcertificate in Russia, before you send it off? The magic of technology back home allows me to go to a kiosk put in $1 and have it printed out with my national ID card number.  All in few seconds and it's legal. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

15 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

is it to late to ask for another birthcertificate in Russia, before you send it off? The magic of technology back home allows me to go to a kiosk put in $1 and have it printed out with my national ID card number.  All in few seconds and it's legal. 

I never thought about this. Let me look into this and ask my relatives back in Russia. Thank you for this advice! :) I don't mind submitting the package, I just wanted to do so before her I-94 expired. On the I-485, for Question 24 in Part 1 that asks what your current immigration is, will just put something like K-1 visa/Expired I-94 as her answer (if I end up sending the package after her I-94 expires). Otherwise, I was just going to leave it as K-1 visa holder.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, barashka said:

I never thought about this. Let me look into this and ask my relatives back in Russia. Thank you for this advice! :) I don't mind submitting the package, I just wanted to do so before her I-94 expired. On the I-485, for Question 24 in Part 1 that asks what your current immigration is, will just put something like K-1 visa/Expired I-94 as her answer (if I end up sending the package after her I-94 expires). Otherwise, I was just going to leave it as K-1 visa holder.

K-1 as an answer should be enough. They understand her status since she will be adjusting. 

I can't talk about how past they process a birthcertificate in Russia, but where i was born you don't even wait in a window.  It's literally automated like a vending machine.  Another way would be to contact the russian consulate and see if they can get ahold of one for you. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Alabamak1 said:

K-1 as an answer should be enough. They understand her status since she will be adjusting. 

I can't talk about how past they process a birthcertificate in Russia, but where i was born you don't even wait in a window.  It's literally automated like a vending machine.  Another way would be to contact the russian consulate and see if they can get ahold of one for you. 

Update: I called my father-in-law back in Russia and spoke to him about my wife's birth certificate situation the night I started this topic. He took care of it right away. The next day, he sent us the PDF version of it in full, HD quality. He will also be mailing us the original hard copy via Почта России. This birth certificate is the new style ones that are all computer typed. I believe they started using this version after the year 1999 or 2000. He said it was a very simple process. Now, we don't have to deal with that old one that was barely legible. We sent in the Adjustment of Status package finally. :)

Edited by visaquestions123

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.