BChance

How passport with US visa is returned to applicant

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello. I am a Canadian citizen living in Mexico. My interview for IR—1 will be in Montreal (soon). When I sign up for delivery service, can I use my Airbnb address in Montreal? My only Canadian gov’t issued ID is passport, so I can’t pick up at Post Office. Can DHL deliver to Airbnb and I just sign or do I need someone with Canadian ID? I have 2 government issued Mexican ID’s. Not sure if I can use them. Thank you

Are you a legal resident or citizen of Mexico? Why are you not interviewing there? Honestly it can take a few days to several weeks to recieve the visa back, are you okay waiting that long?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I am a legal resident of Mexico but the wait in Juarez is 7 months long so I chose Montreal to interview. Yes, I am prepared to wait for my passport to be returned. Just wanted to know the process...

Ah well it is delivered not to a home but the nearest Canada Post office. When you signed up for courier services you'd know.  But how you will pick it up without any other govt ID I dont know unless you use a valid Mexican passport perhaps? 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I read that for an extra fee, you can have it delivered to a home address by DHL/Loomis. I don’t have a mexican passport because I am not a mexican citizen, but I do have a Mexican resident card, a Mexican driver’s license, Canadian birth cert, bank statement from Canada but Mexican address. All with same name as passport....

4 minutes ago, BChance said:

I read that for an extra fee, you can have it delivered to a home address by DHL/Loomis. I don’t have a mexican passport because I am not a mexican citizen, but I do have a Mexican resident card, a Mexican driver’s license, Canadian birth cert, bank statement from Canada but Mexican address. All with same name as passport....

I would use a combination of your birth certificate and resident card to show you are a Canadian citizen and have picture ID. 

I dont know if DHL has retaken over the passport return but Canada Post has done it for the last 4 ish years.  Have you signed up for courier services yet or are you at that stage?

Timeline

Thanks. I am waiting to hear from NVC when my interview is. Case complete Oct 3/18. The website says that because of a looming postal strike, as of Oct 18, passport will be delivered via DHL/Loomis. I’m kind of confused, but going to worry yet. I was just curious as to the process. Thanks for your help

Ah well dhl/Loomis was always easier and faster IMHO. There will be a courier location in Montreal you can pick up at. 

I used DHL in 2013 and had my passport and package back next day in Alberta.  People never get it back that fast with Canada Post. 

1 hour ago, Mevora said:

Is it that visas are stamped but CP takes more time in the pickup or it's the actual delivery time for CP?

I don't know to be honest.  

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Right now the Montreal Consulate is sitting on the passport and visa packages, not sending any out, either by mail or courier "until the end of the strike" which could be 2019(?)... or never.  The other thread https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/687797-passport-return-canada-post-strike/?page=4

talks about  being able to pick up the package at the consulate. 

A review of the Visa Timelines for Montreal (here on VJ) suggests that most packages are received 2-5 days after the interview. In other words, they are ready almost immediately after the approval, maybe sent out same day, even though they say "up to 2 weeks". I suggest therefore that when you go to Montreal for the interview, you ask them to send the package to a local post office in Montreal, stay in Montreal, and expect to see it within 5 days (7 if you want to be conservative). If the @#$% strike is still on, you should be able to pick up at the consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.