msham

Passport Return: Canada Post strike

326 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, Mevora said:

Tbh I don't mind picking up the passport from the embassy either. In my case it still says AP even though they requested for the passport. Does us visa info website updates after you have sent the documents? 

Honestly, I don't either. I just want to receive that email saying I can pick up my passport and I'll hop on a plane from Vancouver -> Montreal the next day.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I really wonder how long this strike is going to go on. We're not looking at an interview date until probably January and luckily only an hour train ride from Montreal, but it seems really ridiculous that people would have to fly there to get their visa in a timely manner after flying there for the interview in the first place. 

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: April 5, 2019 
NOA 1: April 12, 2019
Biometrics Appointment: May 8, 2019
RFIE Rec'd: June 21, 2019 - Request for long form birth certificate

RFIE Reply Sent: July 16, 2019
AOS Interview Date: October 3, 2019, APPROVED 

Green card Received: October 10, 2019

i-751 Filed: September 21, 2021

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, BananaButton5 said:

I really wonder how long this strike is going to go on. We're not looking at an interview date until probably January and luckily only an hour train ride from Montreal, but it seems really ridiculous that people would have to fly there to get their visa in a timely manner after flying there for the interview in the first place. 

I have no idea when it's going to be over...It's super frustrating. At this point, I would fly across the country to pick up my passport if that means I'll have it in my hands in a few days. It's quite ridiculous...

Timeline

Have to thank @MariahK as she is the only one to have received a letter from the consulate. I sent the letter she received (without her name in it) to a relative in Montreal who went to the consulate with that, our interview confirmation, and a letter authorizing her for permission to pick up the passport. The reason I felt ok doing this is that the last line in the email states, "If you have already picked up your passport, please disregard this email" which leads me to believe that it's just a generic email they're sending out when they feel like it.

Relative was able to pick up the stuff and is sending it.

As far as I know, they are literally sitting on all of our passports waiting for the strike to end before mailing them out which is extremely disappointing because there are clearly a lot of us just sitting here in limbo.

Edited by msham

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SR_CAN said:

I have no idea when it's going to be over...It's super frustrating. At this point, I would fly across the country to pick up my passport if that means I'll have it in my hands in a few days. It's quite ridiculous...

You might as well just stay there after your interview until it's ready to be picked up if you can! Ridiculous! 

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: April 5, 2019 
NOA 1: April 12, 2019
Biometrics Appointment: May 8, 2019
RFIE Rec'd: June 21, 2019 - Request for long form birth certificate

RFIE Reply Sent: July 16, 2019
AOS Interview Date: October 3, 2019, APPROVED 

Green card Received: October 10, 2019

i-751 Filed: September 21, 2021

Does any one knows how long it take to pick  passport from post office?  I had an interview today at Montreal and got approved .thank you 

Timeline
10 hours ago, SR_CAN said:

So I took a red eye last night from Vancouver -> Montreal and was able to pick up my passport + visa package!!

After checking in at the door, I was sent upstairs to a window where a lady asked for my ID.

Lady: Ok I'm going to go look for it now

*finds my stuff*

Me: Have things been crazy because of the Canada Post strike?

Lady: Oh...you have no idea...

So yes, second confirmation that they are holding our documents until the strike is over and they are very backed up. I'm not sure when the strike will be over, so if you do get the chance to pick it up, definitely do it!

PS HUGE thanks to @MariahK ❤️

No problem!! Happy you got it! Looks like I'll be heading there soon too lol..

1 hour ago, Bezasimon said:

Does any one knows how long it take to pick  passport from post office?  I had an interview today at Montreal and got approved .thank you 

Did they say anything to you about the strike? Normally anything past 5 days is unusual. However, cuz the strike they're keeping all the passports. Make sure to check the CEAC website for your updates on when your visa has been issued. 

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Timeline
16 hours ago, Bezasimon said:

It won't be available for pick up until after the Canada Post strike ends. They are not mailing any passports using any other service as far as we all know.

So - hopefully I'm understanding this right, my interview is late November. If there is still a strike on I would be required to stay in Montreal until my package is ready and then pick it up at the consulate?

If this is the case, I'm going to have to quit my job as I cannot take anymore time off (even unpaid) ... Anyone know how long I'd have to stay longer in Montreal if the strike is still on?

Thanks guys!

Removing Conditions timeline:

• I-90 accidentally submitted - 2020-08-14
  • I-751 submitted & received - 2021-03-26
  • Biometrics applied to case - 2021-04-21
  • Ready to schedule interview - 2021-12-22
  • Interview scheduled - 2022-01-04
  • Interview - 2022-02-01 / Postponed
  • New 10 year card being sent out!!!!
    2022-02-03 / Case Approved 2022-02-04

Timeline
25 minutes ago, arellah said:

So - hopefully I'm understanding this right, my interview is late November. If there is still a strike on I would be required to stay in Montreal until my package is ready and then pick it up at the consulate?

If this is the case, I'm going to have to quit my job as I cannot take anymore time off (even unpaid) ... Anyone know how long I'd have to stay longer in Montreal if the strike is still on?

Thanks guys!

It would depend on if it goes into AP or is immediately in FP and Issued is my understanding. If it's issued, then you can probably pick it up within a day or two.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.