inga44

I-130 filed with missing information- What to do?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline

My immigrant visa petition has been approved. (US son sponsoring retired Canadian mother.)

I am the "beneficiary"/immigrant. My son filed the I-130 electronically while I was visiting him in the US. We are ready to file the affidavit of support documents (Form I-864 and Form I-864a). I am representing myself. 

In going through the notes for the I-130 and while cleaning out my file cabinet, I ran across evidence that I already had a green card about 50 years ago (issued Aug 1965). I also had a Social Security card. 

My son filled out the I-130, leaving the spaces for US Social Security Number and "Alien Registration Number" blank. (I just didn't think of it at the time and certainly did not have the information with me.)

I have all the Affidavit of Support documents ready to file

What should I do regarding the missing information on the I-130?
(I would like to claim the work record on the Social Security number.)

I would *really* appreciate some input on this!

So are you in the USA or out of it? Do you have 40 work quarters?

Your son has to be your primary sponsor.  Your work may not continue when you move to the USA so unless you qualify on work quarters you cannot self sponsor. 

If you self sponsor you need I-864w 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
9 hours ago, NikLR said:

So are you in the USA or out of it? Do you have 40 work quarters?

Your son has to be your primary sponsor.  Your work may not continue when you move to the USA so unless you qualify on work quarters you cannot self sponsor. 

If you self sponsor you need I-864w 

I am applying from Canada, and I intend to live with my son who is sponsoring me. His wife is filling out the I-864a, but I am filing all the papers.  So  I am not self-sponsoring. 

I am particularly concerned about the missing information on the I-130 and what to do about it. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, NikLR said:

You cannot use the I-864a unless you live with your son. 

I intend to live with my son. However, the I-864 is filled out by his *wife,* according to guide lines, because her income is part of the household income.

However, I'm particularly concerned about what to do re the information missing on the original I-130.

You said your I-130 is approved, right? On the approval notice, at the beneficiary section, does it give an A-number? If yes, does it match your old A-number (should be on the old GC from 50 years ago)?

So, you do not have any memory that you had a Green card from 50 years ago?

Edited by kid1412

Timeline
8 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

You said your I-130 is approved, right? On the approval notice, at the beneficiary section, does it give an A-number? If yes, does it match your old A-number (should be on the old GC from 50 years ago)?

So, you do not have any memory that you had a Green card from 50 years ago?

Thank you for replying specifically to my concern. The communications we got back from the NVC do not contain an A-number. If we, my son and I, had given an A-number, I'm sure they would have made a connection. But we did not give an A-number. It didn't enter my mind. I didn't realize I ever had an A-number. I just ran into the information by cleaning out my files.

The NVC only provided us with a NVC Case Number and an Invoice ID number. 

6 minutes ago, inga44 said:

Thank you for replying specifically to my concern. The communications we got back from the NVC do not contain an A-number. If we, my son and I, had given an A-number, I'm sure they would have made a connection. But we did not give an A-number. It didn't enter my mind. I didn't realize I ever had an A-number. I just ran into the information by cleaning out my files.

The NVC only provided us with a NVC Case Number and an Invoice ID number. 

No, not the communication from the NVC. I was talking about the approval notice for form I-130 from USCIS. On it, at the beneficiary section, there should be an A-number. They can and they will match you with old A number if they can find it. I filed an I-130 for my mom. I did not put in her A-number in the application because I did not know at the time. When USCIS approved it, they included an A number in that approval notice that is matches her A-number from a case that was 15 years ago. Now, I don't know about 50 years ago, but they might. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

No, not the communication from the NVC. I was talking about the approval notice for form I-130 from USCIS. On it, at the beneficiary section, there should be an A-number. They can and they will match you with old A number if they can find it. I filed an I-130 for my mom. I did not put in her A-number in the application because I did not know at the time. When USCIS approved it, they included an A number in that approval notice that is matches her A-number from a case that was 15 years ago. Now, I don't know about 50 years ago, but they might. 

Okay, thanks much. I don't recognize what you're referring to, but will look. Thanks for giving me a sense of direction! 

Timeline
8 hours ago, kid1412 said:

I did a little more research and found this information:

The Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS) works primarily with persons within the United States. The National Visa Center (NVC) is within the U.S. Department of State (USDOS) and works primarily with persons who will collect their visas at the embassy/consulate overseas. If you will be adjusting status in the United States, you will contact USCIS. If you will be collecting your visa overseas, you will contact the NVC.

That's why I can't find a letter from the USCIS. I am applying from outside the US and will collect my visa at the US Embassy in Montreal, Canada. 
There's nothing in either of the numbers that remotely resembles my alien registration number from 50 years ago. That was done from within the US and thus would have gone through the USCIS, if the system hasn't changed. (I started out as a student, then stayed to work just under 4 years.)

5 hours ago, inga44 said:

I did a little more research and found this information:

That's why I can't find a letter from the USCIS. I am applying from outside the US and will collect my visa at the US Embassy in Montreal, Canada. 
There's nothing in either of the numbers that remotely resembles my alien registration number from 50 years ago. That was done from within the US and thus would have gone through the USCIS, if the system hasn't changed. (I started out as a student, then stayed to work just under 4 years.)

You can update the information on the ds-260 or have you already filled it out.  If you have then you can update at interview.  It's a non-issue. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

9 minutes ago, inga44 said:

Thank you very much for your reply!

I apologize for the I-864 confusion.  Since this is a petitioner document, I misunderstood what your connection was with the i-864 and your previous green card and ssn. 

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

You can update the information on the ds-260 or have you already filled it out.  If you have then you can update at interview.  It's a non-issue. 

I agree, it is a non-issue. They approved the I-130, that's what matters. As mentioned, you can just start to fill in those info (if needed) on the DS-260 and other forms. If later anyone asks (which I don't think anyone will), you can just tell the truth: I didn't remember, it was 50 years ago, I didn't have the information with me, ... 

Anyway, what I meant earlier was this form. You said your son filed the I-130 for you and it was approved. He would have received something like this. As mentioned, I didn't fill in the beneficiary A-number either when I did the I-130 for my mom (didn't even know she had one at that time). When this was approved, it was the same number on a different petition/different case that was 15 years ago, and they made that connection. Again, I don't know about 50 years ago as they wasn't a computer database back then probably, but who knows. 

2019023908_I-130approvalnotice.thumb.jpg.6232e0f09753f6c4e4ea3ff873b622cf.jpg

On 10/15/2018 at 10:28 PM, inga44 said:

(I would like to claim the work record on the Social Security number.)

Sorry for what is probably an ignorant question, but what do you mean by this?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.