ifdv

AoS interview checklist - confused

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! We have an interview coming up and the appointment letter listed all the requirements they wanted us to bring to our appointment. i have a lot of questions in mind that I need ya'll opinions with. 

The requirements says to bring a birth certificate of my husband (beneficiary). However, we don't have one on hand. we sent them the original copy before. Can someone from our home country fax or email to us then print it?

Affidavit of support and employment letter..Eversince I gave birth to our son, I stopped working till now. But my husband (beneficiary) started working this year. can we show his employment letter instead? 

I am a US citizen. The only proof I have is my United States passport. But its expired. I haven't renewed it. Can I still show it to them?

And.. it also says, "All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status" --- LiKE WHAT? 

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, ifdv said:

Hi! We have an interview coming up and the appointment letter listed all the requirements they wanted us to bring to our appointment. i have a lot of questions in mind that I need ya'll opinions with. 

The requirements says to bring a birth certificate of my husband (beneficiary). However, we don't have one on hand. we sent them the original copy before. Can someone from our home country fax or email to us then print it?

Very sorry but no. You will need an original copy. You will have to request it by mail. If you can get a photocopy it may do for now with an explanation but they will probably put your application on hold until you can provide the original. (This is why USCIS says never send originals when mailing any petition to them).

Affidavit of support and employment letter..Eversince I gave birth to our son, I stopped working till now. But my husband (beneficiary) started working this year. can we show his employment letter instead? 

No because you are his sponsor so they require that evidence they have requested from you. He could probably fill out his own I864A as a contributing member of your household and provide his own supporting documents like employment letter stating projected income for the year and 6 months worth of paystubs but that depends how long he has been employed and whether or not his income meets the poverty level for your household size. I'd say it would be safer to find him a co-sponsor and have them fill out a new I864 because your own financial situation has changed. (Just to be safe)

I am a US citizen. The only proof I have is my United States passport. But its expired. I haven't renewed it. Can I still show it to them? 

YES! It being expired does not matter! (Yay!)

And.. it also says, "All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status" --- LiKE WHAT? 

Hmmm I'm not positive but if your husband entered the US as a K1 in order for him to prove he is eligible for LPR he had to comply with one thing: get married to you within 90 days. It sounds like they are asking you to provide documents that prove your marriage is bonafide so this is where you provide all of the documentation that you have been creating and saving as you have built your life together. So things like joint bank accounts, the mortgage papers with your two names on it, joint health insurance, shared vehicle insurance, that baby of your's birth certificate with both names on it (heck, just bring the thing! Yes I'm jealous). I'm was kidding at the beginning of this answer. I am sure.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I agree that you will need a co-sponsor.  As your husband's sponsor, the I-864 is saying that you will support him if he is unable to support himself.  If you are not working, you are unable to financially support him.  It doesn't matter if he is working and supporting you now. The government requires that someone be legally bound to support him IF he decides to stop working.  If he is laid off, injured, or something else prevents him from working, someone other than the government must guarantee to support him.

USCIS may have the original birth certificate if you sent it with your AOS.  If the officer has it when you attend the interview, you should not need to submit another.  However, if they do not have it because it was "misplaced," they can require another.  As previously suggested, bring a copy and understand that you may have to wait for approval if another original/notarized certificate is requested.  Plan to order additional notarized copies of your birth certificate anyway.  USCIS will probably not return your original documents and you will need a notarized birth certificate for other things in the future.

As @K1visaHopeful said, bring anything you have to support that you have a bona fide marriage.  Along with what has been suggested, we are also bring beneficiary papers, photos, and "letters of support" from family members.  Anything we can find that shows that assets are co-mingled, property is shared, and family is aware of and support our relationship.

Jason

Timeline
17 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

9 hours ago, JasonGG said:

I agree that you will need a co-sponsor.  As your husband's sponsor, the I-864 is saying that you will support him if he is unable to support himself.  If you are not working, you are unable to financially support him.  It doesn't matter if he is working and supporting you now. The government requires that someone be legally bound to support him IF he decides to stop working.  If he is laid off, injured, or something else prevents him from working, someone other than the government must guarantee to support him.

USCIS may have the original birth certificate if you sent it with your AOS.  If the officer has it when you attend the interview, you should not need to submit another.  However, if they do not have it because it was "misplaced," they can require another.  As previously suggested, bring a copy and understand that you may have to wait for approval if another original/notarized certificate is requested.  Plan to order additional notarized copies of your birth certificate anyway.  USCIS will probably not return your original documents and you will need a notarized birth certificate for other things in the future.

As @K1visaHopeful said, bring anything you have to support that you have a bona fide marriage.  Along with what has been suggested, we are also bring beneficiary papers, photos, and "letters of support" from family members.  Anything we can find that shows that assets are co-mingled, property is shared, and family is aware of and support our relationship.

Jason

oh okay, thank you! we are already trying to get a copy of his birth certificate but we're not sure if it will make it here before the interview. 

and it just confused me because the one line says to bring "All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status" and the other says "Supporting evidence of your relationship such as copies of any documentation regarding joint assets or liabilities you and your spouse may have together." I just couldnt tell the difference between the two.

Timeline
17 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Thank you so much for taking time to response to my query. We are now trying to obtain an original copy of his birth certificate from the Philippines and hoping that it will arrive before the interview. 

Okay, I will find someone to be a co-sponsor just to be safe then. 

and it just confused me because the one line says to bring "All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status" and the other says "Supporting evidence of your relationship such as copies of any documentation regarding joint assets or liabilities you and your spouse may have together." I just couldnt tell the difference between the two.

Do you know if we can bring our baby to the interview? Because i am not sure if I could find someone to baby sit on that day. 

have you been interviewed?

1 hour ago, ifdv said:

Thank you so much for taking time to response to my query. We are now trying to obtain an original copy of his birth certificate from the Philippines and hoping that it will arrive before the interview. 

Okay, I will find someone to be a co-sponsor just to be safe then. 

and it just confused me because the one line says to bring "All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status" and the other says "Supporting evidence of your relationship such as copies of any documentation regarding joint assets or liabilities you and your spouse may have together." I just couldnt tell the difference between the two.

Do you know if we can bring our baby to the interview? Because i am not sure if I could find someone to baby sit on that day. 

have you been interviewed?

•  

I haven't been interviewed but I've heard/read it's better to bring the whole family or walk in with a pregnant belly, lol.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I haven't been interviewed but I've heard/read it's better to bring the whole family or walk in with a pregnant belly, lol.

Hahahaha. I really laughed out loud at what you just said!!! I'll bring out 1 yr old baby then haha! Thank you! 

I hope you get your interview notice soon!

The intending immigrant's income can be considered for the I-864 and to avoid a public charge concern. The IO uses discretion here...presumably the job may not be long enough to be considered stable so the risk of being a public charge may be greater.

Some have had success. Some have not. It really depends on the totality of the circumstances. A joint sponsor is an option as well.

You should have a new I-864 prepared along with all supporting evidence (i.e. pay stubs + employment letter) to present if asked for a new one. Don't show it if not asked....although if they ask if the current one is still accurate or about your current employment, then they most likely will ask for a new I-864.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ifdv said:

Hello, thank you to everyone who responded to this post. We are done with the interview and we passed! 

Congrats!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Congrats!

Thank you! I prepared a new I-864 and supporting documents but she didn't look at it. But im happy I did that because we went to the interview with confidence. thank you for the advice! 

1 minute ago, ifdv said:

Thank you! I prepared a new I-864 and supporting documents but she didn't look at it. But im happy I did that because we went to the interview with confidence. thank you for the advice! 

No problem! That's what I expected to happen but it's always wise to be prepared. Worst case it's a little extra confidence that you came prepared. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.