11 posts in this topic

Hello VJ members

i have an confusion about AOS ...I was looking at the federal poverty guideline ...my question is ..in order to qualify for AOS without any co sponsor is my gross incomes comes into play or my taxable income is what they consider above poverty line...I make more then enough to support 8 people with my gross income but not sure if tax income is what consulate will look at instread of gross...

any experience member pls share your thoughts on this..

To meet the minimum it's current income.

If you are an employee, then this is demonstrated by your pay stub and employment letter. Gross earnings is fine to report. The CO makes a determination on the public charge concern based on the totality of the circumstances.

If you are self-employed, then they will use line 22 from your 1040 to determine your income.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

To meet the minimum it's current income.

If you are an employee, then this is demonstrated by your pay stub and employment letter. Gross earnings is fine to report. The CO makes a determination on the public charge concern based on the totality of the circumstances.

If you are self-employed, then they will use line 22 from your 1040 to determine your income.

Thanks...

I am self employed...I wil look at my tax return to c where I am on my Income

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, The Rock ll said:

Thanks...

I am self employed...I wil look at my tax return to c where I am on my Income

The concept is that for the self employed, it is not "income" until it appears on line 22 of a 1040 form.  For the self employed, their "current income" will come from (today) their 2017 individual tax return, line 22 - Total Income, making legitimately taken business deductions on schedule C a double edged sword.  The time to be aware of this, for some, is BEFORE they file what will be their most current tax return at the NVC stage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

13 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The concept is that for the self employed, it is not "income" until it appears on line 22 of a 1040 form.  For the self employed, their "current income" will come from (today) their 2017 individual tax return, line 22 - Total Income, making legitimately taken business deductions on schedule C a double edged sword.  The time to be aware of this, for some, is BEFORE they file what will be their most current tax return at the NVC stage.

Yes Sir.

i did checked my return and as of now I Already passed  on poverty line...even if I don’t work For therest of year I still be over the poverty guideline...so I am not worry about anything ...unless POTUS raised the poverty guideline which is highly unlikely...

Timeline
9 hours ago, The Rock ll said:

Yes Sir.

i did checked my return and as of now I Already passed  on poverty line...even if I don’t work For therest of year I still be over the poverty guideline...so I am not worry about anything ...unless POTUS raised the poverty guideline which is highly unlikely...

You tax return is not going to show anything in terms of THIS year. Again, it is "revenue" not "income" until it appears on line 22 of a tax return.  Is the number on line 22 of page 1 of your 2017 tax return enough???  THAT is your current income, NOT anything that has happened so far in 2018.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

6 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

You tax return is not going to show anything in terms of THIS year. Again, it is "revenue" not "income" until it appears on line 22 of a tax return.  Is the number on line 22 of page 1 of your 2017 tax return enough???  THAT is your current income, NOT anything that has happened so far in 2018.

Yes Sir,

that is the case...I checked my last year tax return and line 22 of first page says I made more then enough to support 6 person...this year return will be more then last year and will support up to 8 person...so thanks for clearifing that...

Timeline
Just now, The Rock ll said:

Yes Sir,

that is the case...I checked my last year tax return and line 22 of first page says I made more then enough to support 6 person...this year return will be more then last year and will support up to 8 person...so thanks for clearifing that...

The 2018 return is only relevant if you provide the I-864 NEXT year.  Not sure why you keep mentioning it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

51 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The 2018 return is only relevant if you provide the I-864 NEXT year.  Not sure why you keep mentioning it.

Cuz...I am waiting on NOA2 and next year I will fill out 864 for my wife and step kids...so that’s y I was confusing about gross income or tax income for poverty guideline...but know I now I will be good ...

Timeline
2 minutes ago, The Rock ll said:

Cuz...I am waiting on NOA2 and next year I will fill out 864 for my wife and step kids...so that’s y I was confusing about gross income or tax income for poverty guideline...but know I now I will be good ...

Sounds like it will be good but you are confusing "income" and "revenue".  Revenue minus expenses is "income" or "gross income".  Gross revenue is NOT income.  Words mean things.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.