Jump to content

Her change of name after marriage

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know what happens once she takes my name after marriage? 


We're mostly concerned about her passport, once we have everything situated document wise here and we want to visit her family in Italy. How would that work if she takes my name? Would she need to apply for a new Italian passport? 

Edited by cnhad830

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

She can, if she wants to. Or just travel with a marriage certificate.


Make sure she doesn't leave US without AP or Green Card.


29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 


03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  


24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be her decision but she can take your name and have her passport changed with her married name in Italy, provided she has the supporting documents (i.e. greencard, marriage certificate, etc). Depending on what the Italian government requires from her. Or, if there is an Italian Consul or Embassy near you guys, might as well give them a call to confirm what are the requirements from her. I did that with mine and there were no issue.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also just make sure when you book travel use her maiden name, or name in the passport. As long as the name matches on the reservation and the travel document your fine. You can bring your marriage certificate with you to be safe, but airlines don't care what your name is as long as they match. They don't Know if your married or not. If you change the name on her passport, then you can use her married name.

 My plan is to have my fiancee use her current passport until it expires, then change the name in it so it matches. Why spend money when you don't have to.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey there, 

I am Italian, married to an American, and maybe I can help.

I haven't legally changed my name in the US yet, but planning to do so after completing the AoS process. 

The Italian law states that the female spouse may take her husband's name, but for identification purposes she must always use her maiden name. As a matter of fact, requesting a legal name change in Italy is not common practice at all. Italian wives simply keep their last name as is. Besides, the law doesn't really regulate the process much, it's actually very difficult to get it done because the request needs to be supported by particular and special reasons to be accepted, and marriage does not qualify as so.

Your wife would have to go through the court, in front of a judge, and her request has a very high chance of being rejected, due to lack of a special reason (unless she has one). It would be an insane waste of money and time. 


Her US name change will be valid, but it will not be legally recognized by the Italian civil registries. She will always have to use the name given to her at birth when in Italy (for official purposes that require her to prove her identity). Doesn't make much sense that it is so complicated, I know. 

She will be totally fine travelling with her regular passport, just make sure the name of the flight reservation matches it. That's really all she needs. I agree with the advice you've been given by other users, always keep a copy of your marriage certificate when travelling together, and never forget to leave the US without AP or GC. 


Safe travels!

Edited by ababsurd

ITALY-RELATED: Read my STEP-BY-STEP K-1 VISA EXPERIENCE - From I-129F to Interview in Naples (2018)




NOA1: AUGUST 6, 2018 (and Case Status Update "Fingerprint Fee Was Received")








Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.