cnhad830

Her change of name after marriage

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Does anyone know what happens once she takes my name after marriage? 

We're mostly concerned about her passport, once we have everything situated document wise here and we want to visit her family in Italy. How would that work if she takes my name? Would she need to apply for a new Italian passport? 

Edited by cnhad830

She can, if she wants to. Or just travel with a marriage certificate.

Make sure she doesn't leave US without AP or Green Card.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

It would be her decision but she can take your name and have her passport changed with her married name in Italy, provided she has the supporting documents (i.e. greencard, marriage certificate, etc). Depending on what the Italian government requires from her. Or, if there is an Italian Consul or Embassy near you guys, might as well give them a call to confirm what are the requirements from her. I did that with mine and there were no issue.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can also just make sure when you book travel use her maiden name, or name in the passport. As long as the name matches on the reservation and the travel document your fine. You can bring your marriage certificate with you to be safe, but airlines don't care what your name is as long as they match. They don't Know if your married or not. If you change the name on her passport, then you can use her married name.

My plan is to have my fiancee use her current passport until it expires, then change the name in it so it matches. Why spend money when you don't have to.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hey there, 

I am Italian, married to an American, and maybe I can help.

I haven't legally changed my name in the US yet, but planning to do so after completing the AoS process. 

The Italian law states that the female spouse may take her husband's name, but for identification purposes she must always use her maiden name. As a matter of fact, requesting a legal name change in Italy is not common practice at all. Italian wives simply keep their last name as is. Besides, the law doesn't really regulate the process much, it's actually very difficult to get it done because the request needs to be supported by particular and special reasons to be accepted, and marriage does not qualify as so.

Your wife would have to go through the court, in front of a judge, and her request has a very high chance of being rejected, due to lack of a special reason (unless she has one). It would be an insane waste of money and time. 

Her US name change will be valid, but it will not be legally recognized by the Italian civil registries. She will always have to use the name given to her at birth when in Italy (for official purposes that require her to prove her identity). Doesn't make much sense that it is so complicated, I know. 

She will be totally fine travelling with her regular passport, just make sure the name of the flight reservation matches it. That's really all she needs. I agree with the advice you've been given by other users, always keep a copy of your marriage certificate when travelling together, and never forget to leave the US without AP or GC. 

Safe travels!

Edited by ababsurd

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.