Jump to content

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody !!! I am a French Canadian currently living in San Diego under a J-1 visa with an agency. I got a bachelor degree as an elementary school teacher ! Now, I want to renew my visa but it is extremely hard to be approved and sponsored by a school here.

So I am turning to you, people that might know or might heard something about these process that could help me a little bit. Here is couple questions maybe someone can help me with...

- Do you know any compagny (such as Costco, IKEA....) that hired and provide visa for international worker ?

- Do you know if a student visa has a minimum lenght of staying in USA, even if I am only taking one class ?

- Do you know which classes I need to take if I want to become a College teacher (I got a bachelor degree in elementary school education) ?

- Do you know anything about the TN visa ?


I know these questions might be super large and maybe you don't have any idea but even a little detail can make a difference because I am honestly trying hardest as I can to be able to stay in USA and I put so so so much energy into it.

I thank all of you that took time to read all of my writing and in the hope to get some news from you 2764.png

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That's a very broad set of paths you are looking at. For what purpose are you so determined to stay within the US? If you want to be a student, you go for a student visa. If you want to work, you find an employer to sponsor you. It's coming off that you want a way to stay. That's not how immigration works...you need a reason to come/remain.


I'll defer on the potential employers. You have a degree in elementary education, so presumably you would want an employer in that field. Beyond that, you need to find somebody willing to petition you, although most (non-seasonal) work visas require a specialty with a labor certification.


A student visa requires full time enrollment.


As for being a college professor (or even adjunct faculty), they generally require a master's degree or higher. Adjunct professors tend to have a little more leeway with professional experience in lieu of a degree (I started my adjunct classes with only a BS, but I had plenty of experience and knew the faculty so they knew I was qualified already). Anyway, the policies for what is needed depend on the institution you are looking to work at.


What specifically do you want to know about a TN visa?

Edited by geowrian



AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/17/18: Approved

10/24/18: Green card produced

10/31/18: Green card received





12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received



4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017



5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holding a student visa, you must be enrolled full time. One class does not qualify as being a full time student. If you want to continue and become a professor, you'll need to speak with your university to see what the best route is. If you want to continue this year, the likelihood is that you've missed the boat as Masters programs have already started and typically only start once a year. To teach at the college level, you need at least a Masters, however a Phd is preferred. Again, meet with advisers at your school to map out a plan. 


Non-skilled labor like Costco, Ikea, etc. do not sponsor work visas. Your education also doesn't align to working in the corporate sphere or tech where visas are sometimes sponsored. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the previous posters about needing a Masters degree or above to teach in University. There are programs that offer a Graduate Certificate Program, it's like  1/2 of a Masters. You say you are French Canadian, so I assume you are fluent in both French and English, this may be an area for you to explore as there is a shortage of qualified French teachers in the elementary schools. I believe you would need an F1 visa and after that an H1B1 with a sponsor willing to pay the visa costs, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone with more knowledge can weigh in.


Good luck.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Teaching at the college level generally requires a PhD.  It is extremely competitive for the few positions available. Depending on the area, there may be hundreds - yes, hundreds - of applicants for a single job.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.