Can49

Canadians: anyone delaying their N400? Stay as LPR?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys.  

Hoping to hear from some canucks and see if you guys are getting N-400 ASAP or are happy to stay as a LPR. 

I know dual US-Cad citizens (dual at birth) who live in Canada and they’ve told me that US tax compliance is a nightmare. 

If if we ever wanted to move to Canada (no plans) we’d have to deal with TFSA being taxable, gains over $500k on sales of primary home being taxable etc.   does it make sense to just stay as a LPR?  Canadian passport is pretty much accepted the same as a US zone. 

Anyway. This whole concept of citizenship based taxation is quite worrying.  Spouse and kids are all USC and I’m Canadian. Kids are dual. 

I LOVE America and living here and am torn. Feel like LPR gives options and other than voting and being able to sponsor someone I am not missing anything else am I?   If we leave USA to live abroad  I’d lose LPR but I guess I could always file N-400 at that time?

Thanks guys. Hoping others can share their thoughts. Pros cons etc. . 

Thank you. 

Most countries have double taxation laws anyway, so if you were paying taxes in Canada but you’re a duel citizen, you most likely wouldn’t have to pay anything to US government. (Even though you’ll still have to file a tax return - which same applies to permanent residents anyway). 

In terms of property sales, you’re probably best consulting with a lawyer but it could get complicated. I wouldn’t let it deter you from becoming a USC though, and you can always cross that bridge when you come to it later. 

I have no intentions at this time to become a USC.  I have my 10 year green card. 

Since we have no intentions of not living in the USA until my husband retires I'm not worried about losing my green card (I'd do a reentry permit anyhow.)

I know people who have lived in the USA since before you needed a green card and also they have no intentions of becoming USCs.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.