CaptainAmerica

K-1 Experience: Medical, Interview & POE

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Very thorough write up and congrats on making it through! I'm really happy for you and I hope you two have a happy life together.

Gonna sound like a broken record given my recent posts here, but in terms of the medical and discussion of depression, did you have to present a note, and did it go into detail about medications and diagnosis, or was it more of an overview that contained the "no harm to themselves or others" phrase?

Many thanks, and congrats again.

Timeline
16 hours ago, DktrFaustus said:

Very thorough write up and congrats on making it through! I'm really happy for you and I hope you two have a happy life together.

Gonna sound like a broken record given my recent posts here, but in terms of the medical and discussion of depression, did you have to present a note, and did it go into detail about medications and diagnosis, or was it more of an overview that contained the "no harm to themselves or others" phrase?

Many thanks, and congrats again.

Thank you for your comments! I hope you make it through the next phase swiftly too. 

To answer your question, I had a letter from my GP on letterhead paper, which was only very brief. It stated that I had previously experienced moderate depression and had been prescribed antidepressants and CBT. My GP included the phrases that I was no longer experiencing symptoms and have been off antidepressants since 2014, along with the magic words 'she is well and is not a harm to herself or others'. 

When I went to the medical, I included this letter along with my medical summary and the doctor there read through these notes himself without me prompting him (as he read the GP's letter, he verbally acknowledged that the wording was accurate). The letter's content may depend on the severity of one's symptoms, however I believe that the letter itself need only be brief unless there is a significant history to refer to. The medical summary will display the details of your medical history itself. I had brought along a more detailed medical summary just in case that was needed, but it wasn't. All I needed was the medical summary, proof of vaccinations and the letter from my GP regarding my mental health. 

I hope this helps you! 

Great write up! Currently have our case "in transit" from NVC to London... I have a question if you don't mind answering regarding scheduling appointments... What letter did you need to bring to the medical? We received an email about the case being in transit today with an attachment. And, does the interview need to be scheduled first like 4 weeks out then call the medical and schedule two weeks out? I guess this part of the process gets a bit hazy as this is where it goes unique for each specific country.  Congratulations on smooth process and hears to happy times in the US!

Edited by moreadore

Timeline
9 hours ago, CaptainAmerica said:

Thank you for your comments! I hope you make it through the next phase swiftly too. 

To answer your question, I had a letter from my GP on letterhead paper, which was only very brief. It stated that I had previously experienced moderate depression and had been prescribed antidepressants and CBT. My GP included the phrases that I was no longer experiencing symptoms and have been off antidepressants since 2014, along with the magic words 'she is well and is not a harm to herself or others'. 

When I went to the medical, I included this letter along with my medical summary and the doctor there read through these notes himself without me prompting him (as he read the GP's letter, he verbally acknowledged that the wording was accurate). The letter's content may depend on the severity of one's symptoms, however I believe that the letter itself need only be brief unless there is a significant history to refer to. The medical summary will display the details of your medical history itself. I had brought along a more detailed medical summary just in case that was needed, but it wasn't. All I needed was the medical summary, proof of vaccinations and the letter from my GP regarding my mental health. 

I hope this helps you! 

Thank you for your reply :)

I have a patient summary printed off by my GP, which contains brief mentions of past history/problems and their relevant dates, along with a vaccination history, but nothing pertaining to medication prescribed. Frustratingly, my GP does not allow Patient Access online, so I cannot access anything more detailed myself. I'm going in this afternoon to see if I can get more detailed notes, and an updated letter noting medication prescribed and the dates. I hope I can get the information required. I'm so worried about not getting this right, or there being a bigger problem with it all, that it has kind of overtaken my life right now.  My medical is on October 13th and I'm just worried time is running out. I've even considered rescheduling, such is my anxiety over it. It hasn't been a great week so far!

Anyway, just needed to vent that. Having to keep it from people at work, who are asking me why I'm so quiet and tense-looking is difficult.

@DktrFaustus

I understand your need to vent. I went and picked up my patient summary yesterday and they've listed the depression and anxiety I used to suffer with as a current problem so I need to get that fixed!
They also put on there I suffer with a personality disorder (which I don't - I was diagnosed as having traits of it).

Have written them ANOTHER letter to hand in today asking them to write a note explaining the depression/anxiety and to include those words "am not a harm to myself or to others"

Like you, I considered rescheduling, but then I think to myself, there have people that have gone to the medical, and the doctors there have told them to scan through copies of letters from the GP explaining everything.. until you give everything the visa doctor wants, the visa is on hold. So it's not too bad, it can all be sorted out :)

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, DktrFaustus said:

My medical is on October 13th and I'm just worried time is running out. I've even considered rescheduling, such is my anxiety over it. It hasn't been a great week so far!

If Knightsbridge needs more, they write exactly what they want, to your doctor. You could drop off or fax to your GP and pick up when ready. No guessing. No point in getting so worked up and chasing shadows trying to guess. If it's not enough on the day you go, you get it after and fax or email back to them. Go with what you have. If not enough, your GP gets a doctor to doctor request for exactly what is wanted.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

If Knightsbridge needs more, they write exactly what they want, to your doctor. You could drop off or fax to your GP and pick up when ready. No guessing. No point in getting so worked up and chasing shadows trying to guess. If it's not enough on the day you go, you get it after and fax or email back to them. Go with what you have. If not enough, your GP gets a doctor to doctor request for exactly what is wanted.

Ultimately, I agree with you re: getting worked up/chasing shadows. I just have a bad habit of narrowing my focus onto something like a dog with a piece of meat, especially something as important/pivotal. I suppose I just worry about a doctor request being made, not having control over the situation and potentially bad things happening, but that's just how my mind works. BUT I can only do my best, get as much info as I can, and that's what I'm doing.

All I know is I picked the wrong time to give up drinking for a while!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
15 minutes ago, DktrFaustus said:

Ultimately, I agree with you re: getting worked up/chasing shadows. I just have a bad habit of narrowing my focus onto something like a dog with a piece of meat, especially something as important/pivotal. I suppose I just worry about a doctor request being made, not having control over the situation and potentially bad things happening, but that's just how my mind works. BUT I can only do my best, get as much info as I can, and that's what I'm doing.

All I know is I picked the wrong time to give up drinking for a while!

This isn't a race where you have to get the quickest time. You only have to finish. Be the tortoise instead of the hare. You still get to move to the US. Understand how few people get denied K1 visas in London. BELIEVE all the posts that say how nice all the medical and embassy people are and that their worry was futile.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

This isn't a race where you have to get the quickest time. You only have to finish. Be the tortoise instead of the hare. You still get to move to the US. Understand how few people get denied K1 visas in London. BELIEVE all the posts that say how nice all the medical and embassy people are and that their worry was futile.

As Fox Mulder said: "I want to believe". I know I will be just fine, and forgive me being a bit of a tool! Thank you for your words, they are reassuring.

4 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

You are so reassuring, thank you so much. 

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Timeline
13 hours ago, DktrFaustus said:

Thank you for your reply :)

I have a patient summary printed off by my GP, which contains brief mentions of past history/problems and their relevant dates, along with a vaccination history, but nothing pertaining to medication prescribed. Frustratingly, my GP does not allow Patient Access online, so I cannot access anything more detailed myself. I'm going in this afternoon to see if I can get more detailed notes, and an updated letter noting medication prescribed and the dates. I hope I can get the information required. I'm so worried about not getting this right, or there being a bigger problem with it all, that it has kind of overtaken my life right now.  My medical is on October 13th and I'm just worried time is running out. I've even considered rescheduling, such is my anxiety over it. It hasn't been a great week so far!

Anyway, just needed to vent that. Having to keep it from people at work, who are asking me why I'm so quiet and tense-looking is difficult.

Believe me, I know how you feel! Ultimately I think I was over-prepared in all the paperwork I pulled together, but it was useful for me at the time and it's also handy just to have the documents for my own personal records. As you've already been told, Knightsbridge will advise you if anything's missing, and you'll have time to send it back to them. I hope that your GP can help you before your medical appointment, but there is a great (and unfortunate) variant on how doctor's surgeries treat these sorts of requests. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, moreadore said:

Great write up! Currently have our case "in transit" from NVC to London... I have a question if you don't mind answering regarding scheduling appointments... What letter did you need to bring to the medical? We received an email about the case being in transit today with an attachment. And, does the interview need to be scheduled first like 4 weeks out then call the medical and schedule two weeks out? I guess this part of the process gets a bit hazy as this is where it goes unique for each specific country.  Congratulations on smooth process and hears to happy times in the US!

Initially I was also concerned about the letter of proof, and printed a screen grab of the NVC page once it had changed to 'Ready'. That was in the end unnecessary, as I soon received my confirmation packet from the Embassy confirming their receipt. It may well be that yours arrives before your medical appointment too! 

As for scheduling the interview and medical, it's probably wisest to book your medical first since those appointments seemed less available than interview appointments (at least when I was booking mine during March). The interview can be scheduled as soon as your case shows as 'Ready' and the Embassy's system lets you in to book your appointment. As you know, it's recommended to leave two weeks between the medical and interview, to give enough time for the papers to be passed over. So I'd sort out your medical first and then book the interview as soon as you're able to. You'll find that the interview system is easy to use and to reschedule, so you can change your interview appointment as you see fit (I ended up being able to move mine forward by checking the system occasionally for earlier appointments to appear). 

I hope that helps you! 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Great write up, thank you so much! Still awaiting NOA2 but as a May filer we are hoping we will be hearing next month 🤞🏼

Would you please mind helping with a question I have about your drivers license? I’m currently trying to research what to do to get a Cali driving license and I am getting differing results. I have a full UK license but am reading in various places that I won’t be able to use it...in other places I’ve read you can use it for a year.

With not being able to work until EAD is received and potentially not being allowed to drive for months either I’m starting to wonder what I’ll do with myself whilst hubs is at work! I was hoping to buy a car straight away and be able to properly explore my new home.

Can you please tell me how long it took for you to get your California license? Could you drive on your UK license at all? 

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.