12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife recently and finally received her green card. Finally, because we had to re-file due to our missing both her biometrics and interview. We received our letter stating that they had received our case and were given our case number, but we missed the biometrics and interview because USCIS mistakingly typed in the wrong address. Instead of Apt.#104, they sent it to Ap.#10. We have our paperwork showing that we filled in the right address, and we have letters from them coming to the right address and a letter that they re-sent showing their mistake.

We were denied due to our missing the appt. and when we received notice it was past the date of appealing the decision so we had to re-file.

My question is does USCIS ever refund the fees even if it was their mistake?

Thanks VJ for your help.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife recently and finally received her green card. Finally, because we had to re-file due to our missing both her biometrics and interview. We received our letter stating that they had received our case and were given our case number, but we missed the biometrics and interview because USCIS mistakingly typed in the wrong address. Instead of Apt.#104, they sent it to Ap.#10. We have our paperwork showing that we filled in the right address, and we have letters from them coming to the right address and a letter that they re-sent showing their mistake.

We were denied due to our missing the appt. and when we received notice it was past the date of appealing the decision so we had to re-file.

Thanks VJ for your help.

No.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Sorry.... USCIS doesn't give out refunds.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Sorry.... USCIS doesn't give out refunds.

They will not refund you, but they might waive the fees if you file AOS again... I have seen it done before with a very very very close friend of mine. They didn't refund but they gave her a "credit" towards re-filing.

0.14..MY%20TIMELINE.png

06/05/01 - Entered the U.S. on a B2 Visa with parents (17 years old at the time)

01/05/07 - Got married

04/04/07 - AOS package mailed :)

04/08/07 - On Easter Sunday - Package received DAY 1

04/17/07 - NOA1 Received. (Dated 04/13/2007) DAY 10

04/18/07 - Touched DAY 11

04/19/07 - Touched AGAIN DAY 12

04/20/07 - Biometrics appt notice received (05-02-07) DAY 13

04/27/07 - I-130 Touched DAY 20

05/02/07 - Biometrics (Took us 8 minutes - no kidding) DAY 25

05/03/07 - I-485 Touched DAY 26

05/17/07 - Interview letter arrived (07-17-07) DAY 41

07/17/07 - Interview - Everything went well but received an RFE DAY 102

08/28/07 - RFE sent - Took a long time to get what they needed DAY 144

08/29/07 - RFE received - DAY 145

10/04/07 - Email: Notice welcoming new resident mailed - DAY 180

10/05/07 - Touched - DAY 181

10/09/07 - Welcome Notice received. - DAY 185

10/10/07 - Card production ordered. - DAY 186

10/17/07 - Green card received !!!!!!!! - Day 193

Thanks VJ for your help.

Firside

the posters here have given you wrong information...anyone stating that USCIS does not give refunds is taking out their you know what...

i speak from personal experience and have received a refund from USCIS recently...

mail a detailed explanation and copies of all evidence to

Debt Management Center

PO Box 5000

Williston, VT 05495

There phone number is 866-233-1915

Hope this helps you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks VJ for your help.

Firside

the posters here have given you wrong information...anyone stating that USCIS does not give refunds is taking out their you know what...

i speak from personal experience and have received a refund from USCIS recently...

Debt Management Center

PO Box 5000

Williston, VT 05495

Hope this helps you!

Well Done! That's excellent news that you got a refund.

I think more people should claim these when the USCIS messes up and you have to pay again for their mistakes!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Getting a refund...not going to be easy.

Hell, if THEY mess up the info on your green card, you still have to pay the almost 200 dollar fee.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hell, if THEY mess up the info on your green card, you still have to pay the almost 200 dollar fee.

That's not true. The form states clearly that if it was their mistake, the fee is waived.

0.14..MY%20TIMELINE.png

06/05/01 - Entered the U.S. on a B2 Visa with parents (17 years old at the time)

01/05/07 - Got married

04/04/07 - AOS package mailed :)

04/08/07 - On Easter Sunday - Package received DAY 1

04/17/07 - NOA1 Received. (Dated 04/13/2007) DAY 10

04/18/07 - Touched DAY 11

04/19/07 - Touched AGAIN DAY 12

04/20/07 - Biometrics appt notice received (05-02-07) DAY 13

04/27/07 - I-130 Touched DAY 20

05/02/07 - Biometrics (Took us 8 minutes - no kidding) DAY 25

05/03/07 - I-485 Touched DAY 26

05/17/07 - Interview letter arrived (07-17-07) DAY 41

07/17/07 - Interview - Everything went well but received an RFE DAY 102

08/28/07 - RFE sent - Took a long time to get what they needed DAY 144

08/29/07 - RFE received - DAY 145

10/04/07 - Email: Notice welcoming new resident mailed - DAY 180

10/05/07 - Touched - DAY 181

10/09/07 - Welcome Notice received. - DAY 185

10/10/07 - Card production ordered. - DAY 186

10/17/07 - Green card received !!!!!!!! - Day 193

Another thing you can do is to make an Infopass appointment, take everything with you and explain your case directly to them.

Thanks VJ for your help.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Thanks VJ for your help.

Firside

Debt Management Center

PO Box 5000

Williston, VT 05495

Hope this helps you!

That is good news indeed that they actually give out refunds. I've heard of fees being waived but haven't heard of a refund yet.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

That's not true. The form states clearly that if it was their mistake, the fee is waived.

Hm. I know a girl who had to pay them anyway. Kept getting the application back. Oh well.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.