Adriana & Chris

Denied Tourist Visa - No Strong Ties to Home Country

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good morning All,

My mother-in-law and brother-in-law just finished there tourist visa interview and were denied due to not demonstrating ties to their home country. 

Mother in Law is - 50 years of old

Brother in Law is 15 years old

There are from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico

They were 20 minutes early for their appointment and were asked:

1. to BIL - How old are you?

15 years old

2. to BIL - Where are you going in USA?

Disney World in Orlando, Florida

3. to MIL - Where do you work?

State Government of Yucatan

4. to MIL - What do you do there?

coordinator

5. to MIL - What is your salary there?

answered with the salary and attempted to present the employment letter but CO refused it - MIL gathered that she didn't have a high enough salary.  Her salary is well above the poverty line as they are certainly middle class.

6. to MIL - What is the cost of the travel?

answered with cost 

7. to MIL - Do you have a husband?

no

Then handed leaflet that explains the 214(b) denial and the Officer said "At the moment you do not appear fit for the tourist visa"

They were not able to demonstrate strong ties to home country.   

MIL owns her own home for 18 years which she supplied her mortgage and ownership documents

She supplied an employment letter which shows she has work for the state government for 12 years in compliance and audit

She supplied her bank account showing savings enough to cover the trip and some

BIL showed school documents that he is a sophmore in high school with perfect grades

BIL showed documents and letter that he is a semi-professional soccer player on a national team

Not sure what else they could show that they will return.  They booked a hotel from December 19 to December 26 and stated as such in the application however they were not asked how long they will be there.

A lawyer in Merida advised MIL to try again in 6 months but nothing much will change so its difficult to to know where to go from here.  Any insight or advice will be greatly appreciated.  

BTW the Consular Officer had a British Accent which seems odd....

5 minutes ago, Adriana & Chris said:

A lawyer in Merida advised MIL to try again in 6 months

This is going to be the only good advice you'll hear, to be honest.

Wait 6 - 12 months and try again. Not much else that can be done.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Roel said:

This is going to be the only good advice you'll hear, to be honest.

Wait 6 - 12 months and try again. Not much else that can be done.

Yeah definitely.  Ok great thank you so much.  We will try again in 6 months.

Denials are always tough to swallow for applicants and their families. Especially when it seems like the applicant had all of the appropriate supporting evidence they needed like your MIL did. Truth is, a visa is never guaranteed. We always suggest hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I agree that the right advice has already been given. Your MIL and BIL can certainly reapply after a comfortable amount of time. Hopefully, they will get it.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
22 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Denials are always tough to swallow for applicants and their families. Especially when it seems like the applicant had all of the appropriate supporting evidence they needed like your MIL did. Truth is, a visa is never guaranteed. We always suggest hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I agree that the right advice has already been given. Your MIL and BIL can certainly reapply after a comfortable amount of time. Hopefully, they will get it.

Thank you very much NuestraUnion for your warm words and thank you both for replying it makes us feel a lot better.  

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
7 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

This is so true....my grandmother is 58 years old. Stay at home mother/wife. No job. Grown kids married and living on their own. Only property to show ties to home country. The embassy gave her a tourist visa three times. For better or worse its really weird how it works out sometimes. Its like a game of chance with conditions required but not necessarily applied.

Hope everything works out for the OP and his family.

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Problem in this case was not on your MIL's part - it was your BIL being at the wrong place at the wrong time, so to say :ph34r:

A young teenage kid who has his whole in front of him - in the mind of CO would be the most fit candidate for not coming back at the end of the visit. Happened with my mom. Twice she applied for US visit visa along with my youngest sister who was around 20, unmarried, college student and both times they got rejected. Second time, the officer clearly told my mom that they see (my) sister as the risk. Next time my mom applied on her own and bang! 5 years multiple entry visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.