J. Awan 29

I-864, USC never worked, sister as cosponsor (split)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey everyone 

I have a question and if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated....

My wife is a U.S. Citizen and is sponsoring me for an I R visa. The AOS and IV fee has been paid and the next step we were told was to fill out the DS 260 and AOS forms through CEAC...which obviously isn't working...My question is that which AOS form should be filled out if my wife's dad is the only one that can support. My wife hasn't been able to work bc we have a 1 year old daughter. Would my Father in law be a joint sponsor? And if anyone has been through this type of scenario plz give some info as to what the process will be onwards. Just want to get things sorted so there wont  be any delay once CEAC is back up :unsure:

Thanks! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Junaid 018 said:

Hey everyone 

I have a question and if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated....

My wife is a U.S. Citizen and is sponsoring me for an I R visa. The AOS and IV fee has been paid and the next step we were told was to fill out the DS 260 and AOS forms through CEAC...which obviously isn't working...My question is that which AOS form should be filled out if my wife's dad is the only one that can support. My wife hasn't been able to work bc we have a 1 year old daughter. Would my Father in law be a joint sponsor? And if anyone has been through this type of scenario plz give some info as to what the process will be onwards. Just want to get things sorted so there wont  be any delay once CEAC is back up :unsure:

Thanks! 

If your wife doesn't have any income to show then your wife would file (I-864) and If your father in law is the only sponser then he would be a "joint sponser" (also would file (I-864). And if his income doesn't cover all of you then he would need co-sponser which has to be within the same household such as your mother in law, or brother in law, or sister in law (as necessary one of these members would act as family member related to the joint sponser/your father in law and they would have to file I-864a). Check poverty guidelines for affidavit of support for 2018 at uscis website (form I-864p). 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Maan17

Timeline
12 hours ago, Maan17 said:

If your wife doesn't have any income to show then your wife would file (I-864) and If your father in law is the only sponser then he would be a "joint sponser" (also would file (I-864). And if his income doesn't cover all of you then he would need co-sponser which has to be within the same household such as your mother in law, or brother in law, or sister in law (as necessary one of these members would act as family member related to the joint sponser/your father in law and they would have to file I-864a). Check poverty guidelines for affidavit of support for 2018 at uscis website (form I-864p). 

Hope this helps!

Yeah we checked up on it and he does qualify....thanks for the help I appreciate it! 

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello I have a question regarding the affidavit of support.

My wife has applied for ir visa for me (she's a U.S. Citizen) but she's never worked and so doesn't meet income requirements for affidavit of support...Her sister is going to be the joint sponsor in our case. My question is which form will she (sister) have to file? Is it I 864 or I 864a? She is married and lives in a different state. Does she have to include her husband in the household size? And what about my wife and daughter? Will she be including them along with me in the AOS? Or just me?

Thank you in advance!!

2 hours ago, J. Awan 29 said:

My wife has applied for ir visa for me (she's a U.S. Citizen) but she's never worked and so doesn't meet income requirements for affidavit of support...Her sister is going to be the joint sponsor in our case. My question is which form will she (sister) have to file? Is it I 864 or I 864a? She is married and lives in a different state. Does she have to include her husband in the household size? And what about my wife and daughter? Will she be including them along with me in the AOS? Or just me?

Thank you in advance!!

both the petitioner and the co sponsor will file i-864 forms.  

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, J. Awan 29 said:

Thank you in advance!!

Both your wife and her sister will provide I-864 forms and her sister's husband the I-864a as a household member.  A different state makes no difference.  Of course the sister counts her husband and any children THEY have.  Whether YOUR daughter is counted depends on whether she is "immigrating" with you or is already a US Citizen.  Your wife does not count in her sister's household size unless the sister is claiming her as a dependant on her income taxes.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Both your wife and her sister will provide I-864 forms and her sister's husband the I-864a as a household member.  A different state makes no difference.  Of course the sister counts her husband and any children THEY have.  Whether YOUR daughter is counted depends on whether she is "immigrating" with you or is already a US Citizen.  Your wife does not count in her sister's household size unless the sister is claiming her as a dependant on her income taxes.

Even if sister has enough income does her husband still have to file I-864a? Her income is 35,500. They don't have any children and my wife and daughter aren't dependents either...Thank you so much for helping! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** posts made in other threads about other subjects split and merged here.  PLease ask questions about your own case in your own thread. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
1 hour ago, J. Awan 29 said:

Even if sister has enough income does her husband still have to file I-864a? Her income is 35,500. They don't have any children and my wife and daughter aren't dependents either...Thank you so much for helping! 

if your wife sister filed joint tax return then husband information is also needed.

Timeline
3 hours ago, J. Awan 29 said:

If they file taxes jointly, that would be the best practice.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
20 hours ago, J. Awan 29 said:

It is not technically required but it is best practice.  If a Consular Officer decides to ask for it, and you don't have it, you will face a delay in visa issue for several weeks.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.