SilverMonk

New passport new number, which is different than that on I-129F.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

I tried to find the answer to what i'm about to ask here on visa journey and on other sites but wasn't able to find a lot of current information on this.

So when we (I am the beneficiary btw) filed for the K-1 visa back on January we thought the entire process took 3 months, not 8-10 or however long it’s taking now. When we filed I still had my old passport because I thought I’d be in the US by the time in expired and it was still too early for me to renew it (or get a new one). However, since the process is taking longer than expected I had to get a new passport. My passport expired early August, so I got a new one about two months ago, and a new passport comes with a different number here in Brazil, idk if it’s like that for every country. So now, the passport number that we have on our I-129F is  different from the old passport and the number that i’m going to put in the DS-160 and any following forms will be the new passport number.

My question is, do we need to inform USCIS that I (beneficiary) have a new passport and number or should I fill out the DS-160 with my new passport and take both to the interview with me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello! 

The same thing is happening with me. We submitted our application in June and my old passport will expire next February. In the end of June, I got a notification from Brazilian government saying that I should renew my passport, the sooner the better. Considering that all the process of getting a K1 Visa may take more than 6 months, I didn't know if I should get a new passport. I was afraid that it could be a problem too. I called the Consulate in Brazil and the Brazilian Consulate in the USA, but people didn't have an answer to my question (when I was able to talk to someone). I read a lot of posts and official websites regarding the subject, and I understood that they won't issue a Visa in a passport that is about to expire. So, I got a new passport here in Brazil and I will fill out my DS-160 (when it is time) with my new passport number. I will bring both new and old passports to the interview. Hopefully everything is going to be ok. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.