julis82

Worried about green card not arriving

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My mom came on a IR5 visa and entered the US on Feb 27th 2018, so far no green card or social (I did check that option on the DS-260).

In June I called USCIS and they said can take up to 120 days for the green card to arrive, is past that already and nothing. I was able to take my mom to a social security office to check on the SSN and they said no application was done for her, so we did and she should receive her card this week.

Wondering if anyone else went through this.

I guess I have to call them again about the green card...just kinda worried, is been 5 months now.

Bradford & Juliana

Hi @julis82

Yes, green card processing is taking longer than usual across the board. It is now taking anywhere from 6 months to a year to receive a green card. It is unfortunate but for now all you can do is continue to wait.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Hi @julis82

Yes, green card processing is taking longer than usual across the board. It is now taking anywhere from 6 months to a year to receive a green card. It is unfortunate but for now all you can do is continue to wait.

Alright, thank you...I was just wondering.

I will update everyone when she receives it :)

Bradford & Juliana

Did you pay the green card fee $220 before your mom arrive US?

You can use the Receipt number "IOE" in confirmation page to check the status of your green card in this page.

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Recently, there are many cases lost their green card via mailbox. I recommend you sign up the Informed delivery service of USPS via this website: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Everyday, USPS will send a text message or email attached with the photo of envelopes to notify that they will send mails within that day.

Then you can wait and check the mailbox to get the green card, before package thief stole it.

Edited by Triple28

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Triple28 said:

Did you pay the green card fee $220 before your mom arrive US?

You can use the Receipt number "IOE" in confirmation page to check the status of your green card in this page.

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Recently, there are many cases lost their green card via mailbox. I recommend you sign up the Informed delivery service of USPS via this website: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Everyday, USPS will send a text message or email attached with the photo of envelopes to notify that they will send mails within that day.

Then you can wait and check the mailbox to get the green card, before package thief stole it.

Yes, I paid the fee about a month before she entered the US.

Thank you for the tip I will sign up

Bradford & Juliana

3 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Hi @julis82

I thought this was only for renewing GC. When you enter on an immigrant visa should be much faster, I've seen many reports of GCs arriving within just a few weeks this year. OP needs to start an enquiry with USCIS. 

Timeline
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, SusieQQQ said:

I thought this was only for renewing GC. When you enter on an immigrant visa should be much faster, I've seen many reports of GCs arriving within just a few weeks this year. OP needs to start an enquiry with USCIS. 

Just wanted to give an update about this. I called them yesterday and finally I was able to talk to someone higher up.

They were checking and according to them it doesn't show on the system that my mom arrived in the US. I thought was a joke because she entered on Feb 27th, after I talked to the agente she said they are trying to find her paperwork because they were just waiting for her to enter the country to be able to print her green card.

Now they asked me to wait until Sept 25th, they will probably have another update for me by then.

Is so weird that they don't have proof..she got her passport stamped and everything, anyway now is a waiting game.

Hopefully that doesn't happen to anyone else.

Thx for all the replies and I will update in here what happens next :)

Bradford & Juliana

28 minutes ago, julis82 said:

Just wanted to give an update about this. I called them yesterday and finally I was able to talk to someone higher up.

They were checking and according to them it doesn't show on the system that my mom arrived in the US. I thought was a joke because she entered on Feb 27th, after I talked to the agente she said they are trying to find her paperwork because they were just waiting for her to enter the country to be able to print her green card.

Now they asked me to wait until Sept 25th, they will probably have another update for me by then.

Is so weird that they don't have proof..she got her passport stamped and everything, anyway now is a waiting game.

Sounds like they didn’t get the immigrant packet sent to them from the POE...hopefully they track it down (when you say her passport is stamped, that is on or next to the immigrant visa i presume?j

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sounds like they didn’t get the immigrant packet sent to them from the POE...hopefully they track it down (when you say her passport is stamped, that is on or next to the immigrant visa i presume?j

Yes, next to her IR5 visa..her B2 visa was cancelled.

Bradford & Juliana

2 hours ago, julis82 said:

Sometimes POE and SSA do not communicate well and this problem happens.

It is unfortunate that your case has this problem.

25 Sept is a long waiting time and I am afraid that they will forget it.

I think you can try to go to the USCIS local office around beginning of September and show them her passport to prove the arrival and push them to look at your case.

Thank you for your kindness in updating your status in this forum, it is really helpfull for all members who has this problem.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Triple28 said:

Sometimes POE and SSA do not communicate well and this problem happens.

It is unfortunate that your case has this problem.

25 Sept is a long waiting time and I am afraid that they will forget it.

I think you can try to go to the USCIS local office around beginning of September and show them her passport to prove the arrival and push them to look at your case.

Thank you for your kindness in updating your status in this forum, it is really helpfull for all members who has this problem.

There is a case open on this I will make sure they don't forget about it.

Visajourney is such an amazing site, helped me so much since I came on my K1 visa over 9 years ago and now bringing my mother over.

I will post updates for sure..

Thx to everyone that posted :)

Bradford & Juliana

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I would like to post an update on my mom's green card situation. Today is Oct 5th and no green. After calling USCIS for months and months with no answer of anything I was able to schedule an appointment at my local office (very long wait for a spot to open). So yesterday we went in and they said my mom's packet was lost, that's why they didn't print her green card. After Asking for a few documents the lady was super nice and her manager put in a request to cancel the packet and submit the forms that I had with me for them to process her green card.

She said that's been happening since for SOME contries they don't send the sealed packet any more.

Well, I hope everything is in order now, she said my mom should receive her green card by December.

Just wanted to give this update that might be helpful to someone in the future

Bradford & Juliana

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, julis82 said:

I would like to post an update on my mom's green card situation. Today is Oct 5th and no green. After calling USCIS for months and months with no answer of anything I was able to schedule an appointment at my local office (very long wait for a spot to open). So yesterday we went in and they said my mom's packet was lost, that's why they didn't print her green card. After Asking for a few documents the lady was super nice and her manager put in a request to cancel the packet and submit the forms that I had with me for them to process her green card.

She said that's been happening since for SOME contries they don't send the sealed packet any more.

Well, I hope everything is in order now, she said my mom should receive her green card by December.

Just wanted to give this update that might be helpful to someone in the future

Final update for this, my mom recieved her green card after 8 months arriving in the US.

So that infopass apointement I scheduled fixed the problem.

Thanks to everyone :)

Bradford & Juliana

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.