Dashinka

Over 20 Percent of Incoming College Freshmen Claim to Be Disabled

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
35 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

an add diagnosis does not automatically mean the person is on medicine. an add/adhd diagnosis has nothing to do with lack of playing outside or socializing.

but i guess that's why there's a process and specialized individuals to oversee the process of determining accommodations.

I did not say it came with auto-meds.  But as Nigeria spoke up and said, people do it to give their kids an “edge”.  Doctors are quicker today to hand out an ADD diagnosis than they were 20 years ago.  And yes, not playing outside and not socializing are both linked to ADD/ADHD.  And video game playing has an effect, it has been shown.  To what extent, we will likely never know until we have some double blind studies (very difficult to accomplish in this context), or many more years of data.  

1 minute ago, Satisfied said:

I did not say it came with auto-meds.  But as Nigeria spoke up and said, people do it to give their kids an “edge”.  Doctors are quicker today to hand out an ADD diagnosis than they were 20 years ago.  And yes, not playing outside and not socializing are both linked to ADD/ADHD.  And video game playing has an effect, it has been shown.  To what extent, we will likely never know until we have some double blind studies (very difficult to accomplish in this context), or many more years of data.  

good thing you're not one of those specialized individuals overseeing the process.

4 minutes ago, Sonea said:

Crazy Idea....maybe just get rid of time limits for ACT and SAT all together. Thats a truly level playing field.

i first read this as get rid of act and sat all together and i thought that was a pretty good idea. throw in standardized testing as a whole and i'm on board.

4 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

good thing you're not one of those specialized individuals overseeing the process.

Nope.  But as the father of a son with ADD, I was able to help him overcome it without the use of meds (against his mom’s wishes).  Grades came up, and now he’s doing great on his own, a regular tax-paying, community-building, positive member of society.  And didn’t even have to request any special time limits to overcome it.

Edited by Satisfied

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
2 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

i first read this as get rid of act and sat all together and i thought that was a pretty good idea. throw in standardized testing as a whole and i'm on board.

Without a standardized test, how would you compare two students with radically different school backgrounds? Many Schools don't even operate  on a standard 4.0 system anymore.

1 minute ago, Satisfied said:

Nope.  But as the father of a son with ADD, I was able to help him overcome it without the use of meds (against his mom’s wishes).  Grades came up, and now he’s doing great on his own, a regular tax-paying, community-building, positive member of society.  And didn’t even have to request any special time limits to overcome it.

my son is diagnosed and doesn't take meds, but he does have accommodations. it seems to me you believe you've done something special to erase your son's diagnosis. add is mind over matter, i guess? doesn't matter, good for you. 

2 minutes ago, Sonea said:

Without a standardized test, how would you compare two students with radically different school backgrounds? Many Schools don't even operate  on a standard 4.0 system anymore.

why do you need to compare two students?

3 minutes ago, Sonea said:

University Admissions and also scholarships 

there are other means of comparing. 

besides, if a student is of remarkable intelligence but cannot function under the pressure of the standardized testing environment - the results aren't worth much.

Edited by smilesammich

Timeline
3 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

there are other means of comparing. 

besides, if a student is of remarkable intelligence but cannot function under the pressure of the standardized testing environment - the results aren't worth much.

What other means would properly weigh the academic performance of two students from two different schools?

9 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

my son is diagnosed and doesn't take meds, but he does have accommodations. it seems to me you believe you've done something special to erase your son's diagnosis. add is mind over matter, i guess? doesn't matter, good for you. 

It can be overcome.  And other than some guidance from me, some pushes in the different directions, I actually attribute the overcoming completely to my son.  He recognized his issues and did something about it.  No way could I have “erased his diagnosis”.

2 minutes ago, Sonea said:

What other means would properly weigh the academic performance of two students from two different schools?

their academic performance.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

their academic performance.

My question was: What other means would properly weigh the academic performance of two students from two different schools?

(not being mean...its just that you basically copied and pasted "academic performance" out of my sentence without address the question.)

Edited by Sonea