2,949 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

Thanks Ilo for the correction!
Can you help me please with the following information:
How do I know which was my local office when I sent my first I-485 to USCIS?
How do I know which was my local office when I sent my second I-485 to USCIS?
Thank you!!

City where you had the interview.

10 minutes ago, Hopenyc said:

I received denied letter first, and 45 days later I received NTA with no court date. 8months passed still no second NTA  no court date. I kept checking with hotline # every week. Get the same message( no case has been file with immigration court.  I took my time(5months) prepare all evidence , restraint order and affidavit. My lawyer took 2months to review it. I don’t rush. She sent out this week. Since Boston immigration court 1-2years wait. I won’t be able to get work permit or anything. Just wait.............. 

My lawyer suggested submit I360 alone with USCIS. once approved, Adjust status in court.

I heard VAWA cancellation in court way way harder. 

What is the reason why you will not be able to get a work permit? Because you received an NTA or because your lawyer prefers to send the I-360 only?

Edited by Florecita_Bella

9 minutes ago, Hopenyc said:

I received denied letter first, and 45 days later I received NTA with no court date. 8months passed still no second NTA  no court date. I kept checking with hotline # every week. Get the same message( no case has been file with immigration court.  I took my time(5months) prepare all evidence , restraint order and affidavit. My lawyer took 2months to review it. I don’t rush. She sent out this week. Since Boston immigration court 1-2years wait. I won’t be able to get work permit or anything. Just wait.............. 

My lawyer suggested submit I360 alone with USCIS. once approved, Adjust status in court.

I heard VAWA cancellation in court way way harder. 

why was it denied first if you dont mind me asking. What was the issue?

13 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

Thanks for the info!
I submitted both applications in the same state, but then I moved to another state and despite my new lawyer has sent 3 G-28 and two AR-11 Vermont has not changed the address of my first lawyer, as USCIS continues to send documents to the first lawyer.
I thank you in advance if you can please help me with the following question:
1. If my I-485 based on the marriage was filed in the same local office where I sent the I-360, do I not need to send the letter requesting that they not send me the NTA?
2. Where can I check which are the local offices of each state?
Thanks again for your help!

Here is the link to check office https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices, well honestly I don't know the right answer to the your first question, maybe you should inbox @sandra or better still wait for her to respond.

1 minute ago, Ilo said:

Here is the link to check office https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices, well honestly I don't know the right answer to the your first question, maybe you should inbox @sandra or better still wait for her to respond. 

Thank you very much for your help!!!

19 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

What is the reason why you will not be able to get a work permit? Because you received an NTA or because your lawyer prefers to send the I-360 only?

I guess because of the NTA, only the court has the authority to make a decision on the new i-485, someone should please correct me if I am wrong.

10 minutes ago, Ilo said:

I guess because of the NTA, only the court has the authority to make a decision on the new i-485, someone should please correct me if I am wrong.

I understand, in my case, as I explained earlier, I'm not sure if they sent me any NTA but I sent a new I-485 based on Vawa, which was received in September and in October they sent me to place the prints, I'm at wait for the work permit.
I ask:
 If in the past I was sent an NTA that I do not know, is it possible that they sent me the appointment to put the fingerprints?
Thank you…

Just now, Florecita_Bella said:

What is the reason why you will not be able to get a work permit? Why did you receive an NTA or because your lawyer prefers to send the I-360 only?

My abusive husband withdrawn I130 cause i485 denied. (Even I had valid F1)

but the officer list those thing on NTA like...

overstay

130 withdrawn (no criminal)

While waiting for court date.,,, which takes more than a yearssss., (don’t know when)

My lawyer prefer to submit i360 to uscis

But can’t apply for work permit.

Once I received NTA, I’m in removal proceedings. Not many choice I have, It hard to understand,and  explain but only immigration (judge)court can decide. 

9 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

I understand, in my case, as I explained earlier, I'm not sure if they sent me any NTA but I sent a new I-485 based on Vawa, which was received in September and in October they sent me to place the prints, I'm at wait for the work permit.
I ask:
 If in the past I was sent an NTA that I do not know, is it possible that they sent me the appointment to put the fingerprints?
Thank you…

If you have your old Alien Number with you, call this 1-800-898-7180  and enter your Alien Number just to see if you can find any record. But not everyone gets notice to appear as I know of someone who's Adjustment of status was denied August 2017, the denial letter only stated that the petition was denied and ead voided, they never asked the person to depart voluntarily neither did the person get NTA, but the person refiled after 3months.

14 minutes ago, Ilo said:

If you have your old Alien Number with you, call this 1-800-898-7180  and enter your Alien Number just to see if you can find any record. But not everyone gets notice to appear as I know of someone who's Adjustment of status was denied August 2017, the denial letter only stated that the petition was denied and ead voided, they never asked the person to depart voluntarily neither did the person get NTA, but the person refiled after 3months.

The Alien Number of my old I-485 is the same as the current I-485, I check in that number weekly and thank God I have never heard a message that I have an appointment in the immigration court.
I filed my Vawa (I-360) at the same local office where I filed my first I-485 three months after it was denied. My new I-485 was sent to USCIS 7 months after the first I-485 was denied and before my I-485 was denied my attorney sent a letter informing me that I was going to submit vawa.
How can I know if I have an NTA?
Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Florecita_Bella said:

The Alien Number of my old I-485 is the same as the current I-485, I check in that number weekly and thank God I have never heard a message that I have an appointment in the immigration court.
I filed my Vawa (I-360) at the same local office where I filed my first I-485 three months after it was denied. My new I-485 was sent to USCIS 7 months after the first I-485 was denied and before my I-485 was denied my attorney sent a letter informing me that I was going to submit vawa.
How can I know if I have an NTA?
Thanks in advance!

The only way to know without a letter is what you have been doing by calling that number, I don't think you were issued one, keep your hopes up, not everyone get NTA.

10 minutes ago, Ilo said:

The only way to know without a letter is what you have been doing by calling that number, I don't think you were issued one, keep your hopes up, not everyone get NTA.

According to Hopenyc she received an undated NTA letter to appear in court and for that reason, although she frequently calls 1-800-898-7180 the message tells her that the accusatory document has not yet been submitted to initiate the process before the immigration court, that is, it is possible that someone has received an NTA and is not in the system because their NTA has no date to appear in court

3 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

According to Hopenyc she received an undated NTA letter to appear in court and for that reason, although she frequently calls 1-800-898-7180 the message tells her that the accusatory document has not yet been submitted to initiate the process before the immigration court, that is, it is possible that someone has received an NTA and is not in the system because their NTA has no date to appear in court

Ok, another thing you can do is to request every letter they have ever sent on that previous i-485, here is the guidance on how to request it https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/freedom-information-and-privacy-act-foia/uscis-freedom-information-act-and-privacy-act, read the instructions,download the form and fill it out, state exactly what you need them to send you, they will send you duplicates of what they have on file in including decision and if they also issued NTA. You should receive response within couple of weeks.

5 minutes ago, Ilo said:

Ok, another thing you can do is to request every letter they have ever sent on that previous i-485, here is the guidance on how to request it https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/freedom-information-and-privacy-act-foia/uscis-freedom-information-act-and-privacy-act, read the instructions,download the form and fill it out, state exactly what you need them to send you, they will send you duplicates of what they have on file in including decision and if they also issued NTA. You should receive response within couple of weeks.

I applied for a FOIA 4 months ago but according to the lawyer I still have not received anything!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.