Infidel

Taxes/Income for Interview

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hey guys,

Our interview for the IR1 visa is scheduled for August 22!

However, I have had some issues with my 2017 taxes.

I filed on April 16 along with a w-7 to apply for an ITIN # for my husband. This week, the application for the ITIN was denied, and I have no idea if the IRS will go ahead and process my taxes or make me refile. Either way, I am unlikely to have my taxes processed by the interview date.

I spoke with the embassy about my situation, and they looked up my information on CEAC. Now, I didn't move back to the US until last summer for a job, so my w-2 only shows half of what I actually make per year. So, the embassy is telling me I will need a joint sponsor or my spouse won't get the visa. 

I have a year of pay stubs proving that I make 40k salary uploaded on CEAC and $25k in bank statements, but apparently none of that matters. I told them that, they still say I need a joint sponsor. 

I am kind of (a lot) freaking out because I am from a very rural/poor town in Arkansas and know no one that can be a joint sponsor. I didn't even think I would need one since I have been at my job since moving back to the US and make double the required amount.

Is there nothing I can do?

Sorry if this is confusing, I am in a confused state right now. Thank you for any help. 

have you considered using your spouse's savings (if any) to help get you above the minimum salary requirement? every three dollars your spouse has in savings can count as one extra dollar to getting over that hurdle (so if you can show you've made 10,000 in a year, and your spouse has 30,000 in savings, that would count as 20,000 towards sponsorship).

i'm surprised that your savings don't matter - are you sure about that? 

Edited by bayrn

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Your current income is your gross from a full pay period times the number of pay periods in a whole year.  Evidence of current income is a current pay stub from your employer.

A W2 is about past income.  Although you are required to complete the tax return section of the affidavit of support, that has nothing to do with current income for an "employed" person.

I suggest you complete an updated affidavit of support for the interview.  Let the Consular Officer make a judgment call on that day with current data.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.