LovinLiberia

Just curious...

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

I'm just curious as to how many people were approved for their visa when they only met one time? Also, were you put on AP/AR before obtaining the visa? Do you think they questioned you (or your fiance) a little more because you only met once?

Anyone can answer, but I'm mainly asking for people who dealt with West Africa. Thanks in advance!

Our only meeting prior to my filing I-129F was in May 2005 (after I had just been naturalised) in India. I did get an RFE, in this case for "her" G-325A signatures (in hindsight, I should have taken blank G-325A's with me and had her fill-out/sign them there).

(what I had done was pasted signature samples--all her original signatures--on these forms)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hi Princess Metzger,

You know my situation in depth but for the sake of other sub-saharan members

I would like to say that yes I think it makes a difference even if the requirements

are having met once within the last 2 years.

Unfortunately the conoff can give AP/AR for varies reasons but if there is

just a little doubt about the validity of a relationship I trult believe the time

spend together can sway the conoff and make the difference of AP or no AP.

Sometimes conoffs think they have to play Dr. Phil and see if a certain

couple should be together based on things that have nothing to do with

regulations but just a hunch....be it true or false.

I have posted a topic here before asking how many of us are on AP/AR here

in sub-saharan but have gotten no responses.

I really would like to know myself.

On AP for 5 month now !

:girlwerewolf2xn::clock::cry:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Princess M

My heart goes out to everyone on AP/AR, I can't even imagine how frustrating that it can be.....Omoba, I hope everything will brighten up w/ your case. I met my husband last March...visited him in May for about 5days.....and then we filed our 129F in July. My husband is Nigerian, but he was studying abroad in Europe and residing there....so that is where the interview took place.

Everything for us was a piece of cake.....Charles wanted me presence during the interview...and to be honest, I was thinking about expenses and childcare (2 kids and no family close by).....and just wanted to put it into the Lord's hands that all would go well.

I had the money, but wanted to save it for emergency pruposes.....but then I realized that it is replaceable, so I went to the interview....I think that was the best decision I made.....because it was approved and I was present during the whole interview and I think that the consulate could see that we were in love and committed to eachother :)

I know that Europe and Africa are extremely different and the ball was more in our court having the interview in Europe.....but he still was a Nigerian citizen studying abroad...being a FT student w/ no income....and the outcome was good. So, have FAITH and if you can, be present for the interview......I wish you and your love the best in your journey.

To Blessed to be stressed:) I realize that all things have a purpose and a time.....have faith and the Lord Almighty will provide... when the time is right, he NEVER fails!

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good question.

My now husband and I only met once prior to my filing the I-129F in June 2005. After providing dozens of foul proof evidence, my fiance was sent away and told to provide 'sufficient evidence of an ongoing relationship'. Of course I was shocked and frustrated; especially considering that my Fiance' had been given the run around for almost two months just to get an interview. After getting my Congressman involved, things quickly and easily turned around. As a matter of fact, my husbands Embassy responded to my Congressman by stating that the reason for the delay was the fact that we 'had only met once and spent a very short period of time together.' In my opinion why does that matter?!?!?! The requirements clearly states that we needed to have met each other once during the past two years. The $3k phone bill during a 6-month period should have been all the evidence they needed. Including hundreds of dollars in Calling Cards which they said was not acceptable. Ultimately we received the Visa. But the headache to get it was unnecessary!

Boaz

Edited by Boaz

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Good question.

My now husband and I only met once prior to my filing the I-129F in June 2005. After providing dozens of foul proof evidence, my fiance was sent away and told to provide 'sufficient evidence of an ongoing relationship'. Of course I was shocked and frustrated; especially considering that my Fiance' had been given the run around for almost two months just to get an interview. After getting my Congressman involved, things quickly and easily turned around. As a matter of fact, my husbands Embassy responded to my Congressman by stating that the reason for the delay was the fact that we 'had only met once and spent a very short period of time together.' In my opinion why does that matter?!?!?! The requirements clearly states that we needed to have met each other once during the past two years. The $3k phone bill during a 6-month period should have been all the evidence they needed. Including hundreds of dollars in Calling Cards which they said was not acceptable. Ultimately we received the Visa. But the headache to get it was unnecessary!

Boaz

I would say that a $3k phone bill is great proof! Hopefully I won't rack up that big of a bill. :)

This all boils down to what constitutes a valid relationship. I think that because US tourism visas are virtually impossible for unwealthy foreigners to obtain, it creates a lot of pressure for couples who have met overseas. For example, I knew that I wanted to pursue a relationship with Ombeni, but after only being with him for 12 days, I couldn't be 100% sure that I wanted to marry him! Even so, pursuing a fiance visa was very very tempting. If we had gone forth with the k1 application at that point, I don't know if I personally would have considered it fraud, but I bet the government would have. Then again, maybe not: they give you 90 days to get married, and you're supposed to use that time to make sure that the two of you are compatible.

This is kind of incoherent. I'm le tired.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

not having gone through the experience i'm really only guessing here, but I would think that they would be more inclined to grant the visa if you can bring tons of evidence with you to the interview. From the things i have read here it seems that if you look like you're prepared for anything at the interview, then they won't be as inclined to keep digging into your relationship. But again, i haven't gone through the process yet, so don't take my word for it!

My K-1 Timeline:

02/08/2007: Engaged on top of Table Mountain!

03/27/2007: Sent I129f to NSC

04/04/2007: NOA1 (from CSC)

06/27/2007: NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/09/2007: Paper NOA2 in the mail

07/13/2007: NVC sent our petition to Jo'burg!!

07/27/2007: Packet 3

09/20/2007: Successful Interview!!!

09/27/2007: Visa in hand

10/02/2007: E's flight lands at 2:10 in Chicago!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

What does AP and AR stand for?

I'm just curious as to how many people were approved for their visa when they only met one time? Also, were you put on AP/AR before obtaining the visa? Do you think they questioned you (or your fiance) a little more because you only met once?

Anyone can answer, but I'm mainly asking for people who dealt with West Africa. Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

reeses16: AP/AR means "administrative processing" or "administrative review." If you are under such a designation then the Embassy is making additional "checks" into the person's background, or additional security checks, etc.

As to the original question, my now husband and I met more than once and at those times for long periods of time. And maybe, possibly, that helped us during the visa process, who knows? I agree that it should not be the Embassy's position to dertimine the viability of a relationship, but many cases that is exactly what they are doing. You can have a ton of evidence showing the validity of your relationship as some people have had...but if the CO does not want to LOOK at the evidence then it makes no difference. I have read about so many situations where the CO does not even look at let alone consider the evidence!

That said, I don't think one meeting before filing the K-1 is going to automatically result in a denial or AP/AR, but it seems that with certain consulates that is a distinct possibility. Unfortunately there is no bright line rule in these cases...decisions are made so subjectively!

Filed: Timeline

I'll let you all know what happens when my fiance has his interview. We were introduced over the phone in Sept 05 and I went to Ghana in June-July 06. That is the only time I was there. Reasons being why that was the only time, I work a full time job and attend school. I have children who must go to school and have no family here to watch them if I leave. I could go now, but if I spend what I have saved, I wont have any money to fly him here. I cant seem to gather enough for both of us, as his date is approaching fast. Hmmm, credit cards are always tempting. If I knew for a fact that going again would grant him a visa, I would be there. It's a hard decision to make.

Omoba, I hope things start looking good for you. How much longer could it take for them to finish AP? Have you been back to visit your fiance since being on AP?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

I'll let you all know what happens when my fiance has his interview. We were introduced over the phone in Sept 05 and I went to Ghana in June-July 06. That is the only time I was there. Reasons being why that was the only time, I work a full time job and attend school. I have children who must go to school and have no family here to watch them if I leave. I could go now, but if I spend what I have saved, I wont have any money to fly him here. I cant seem to gather enough for both of us, as his date is approaching fast. Hmmm, credit cards are always tempting. If I knew for a fact that going again would grant him a visa, I would be there. It's a hard decision to make.

akimoda: Hope everything works out for the best for you and your fiance!!

I wanted to add that although I was able to be with my husband more than once, there is a small part of me that believes might not have received the visa had I not been there at the interview. Luckily I was visiting around that time anyway, so I was able to be there.

Edited by taurean

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would say that a $3k phone bill is great proof! Hopefully I won't rack up that big of a bill. :)

This all boils down to what constitutes a valid relationship. I think that because US tourism visas are virtually impossible for unwealthy foreigners to obtain, it creates a lot of pressure for couples who have met overseas. For example, I knew that I wanted to pursue a relationship with Ombeni, but after only being with him for 12 days, I couldn't be 100% sure that I wanted to marry him! Even so, pursuing a fiance visa was very very tempting. If we had gone forth with the k1 application at that point, I don't know if I personally would have considered it fraud, but I bet the government would have. Then again, maybe not: they give you 90 days to get married, and you're supposed to use that time to make sure that the two of you are compatible.

This is kind of incoherent. I'm le tired.

Esjessie - I understand your point. :)

Overall whether we like it or not, the Embassy is doing their job (for the most part). But if the 'rules' are something other than what's listed, ie., meeting at least once, etc., etc. then stick to the rules! A $3k phone bill over six months was certainly a waste of money. But being that we understood the rules to be showing LOTS of evidence (we also had photos, emails, and letters from family/friends) then for us we were baffled as to why the hassle. Your comment regarding the 90 days to get married in order to be sure explains even more why the Embassy was quickly st arting to get on my last nerve! Nevertheless, once everything was said and done we got what we both prayed for :innocent:

Edited by Boaz

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I feel sort of dirty asking this question, but is it a race thing or an african thing? Do the white africans go through as many harassments as black africans? Granted, we're talking about a much smaller group of people here, but I'm interested in hearing about the experiences of white africans going through the same process. Have they felt similarly scrutinized? Also, is there a difference in experience between men and women going through the process? Are female beneficiaries less likely to raise any "red flags" leading to administrative review.

What's really frightening is how someone's personal biases can mean the difference between happiness and heartache for each of us.

My K-1 Timeline:

02/08/2007: Engaged on top of Table Mountain!

03/27/2007: Sent I129f to NSC

04/04/2007: NOA1 (from CSC)

06/27/2007: NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/09/2007: Paper NOA2 in the mail

07/13/2007: NVC sent our petition to Jo'burg!!

07/27/2007: Packet 3

09/20/2007: Successful Interview!!!

09/27/2007: Visa in hand

10/02/2007: E's flight lands at 2:10 in Chicago!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think it's more a financial or class bias than a race bias on the part of the consulate officers, actually. They are acutely aware (according to the people from the embassy I've spoken with) of the way so many people in poor countries see a visa to the U.S. as winning the lottery. So in their minds they are "protecting" the U.S. citizen from someone who is professing love but seeing dollar signs and will just use her/him as a means to become a permanent resident and then a couple years down the line divorce and bring over the wife/husband they meant to marry and other family members. (This experience, I can see from the guys my husband has met so far, is pretty common.)

Bottom line: is it the consulate's job to have this reasoning in mind? No! The law states you need to meet once. But it doesn't seem to work that objectively, at least from what I've heard in Accra.

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

Omoba, I hope things start looking good for you. How much longer could it take for them to finish AP? Have you been back to visit your fiance since being on AP?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I also have two small children, child care, and a new job that I know most likely won't allow me the time off to travel. Also, the Liberian embassy is quick about their interview dates and I know that once we get the NOA2 things will fly by. I'm worried about saving up enough money in such a short amount of time. If I don't go, then he might get put on AP/AR...If I do go then he won't be here as fast at we would like because I would have to fly home and then start saving up for him to come. Then once again, there is the job issue. I have been struggling with this and everytime I think about him being at the interview without my presence then I get super nervous and the butteflies kick in. I feel like even though we met once, we know each other very well and we both feel that marriage is 100% right. We have tons of evidence and I will get notarized letters from myself (explaining why I couldn't be there), and also from friends and family who know our relationship is valid. I will continue to pray on it and see which way God will lead me. *sigh* Thanks again everyone and I'm looking forward to the discussion on black African vs. white Africans. I hate to say it, but I feel like there is a racial bias when it comes to the two.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.